'Floods!'
223 IQ
I got The Essential John McLaughlin today, and this guy is one of most underrated guitarists ever. He's done blues, jazz, fusion, flamenco, classical, Indian - in short, everything, and he's got incredible technique.

I advise everyone else to worship him.
Buckethead and John Petrucci got into a shred batte. Petrucci went into world domination mode and melted Buckethead's face off. That's why Buckethead wears a mask.
matt92l
not a registered user....
177 IQ
i certainly do worship him amazing guitar. ive started really liking the mahavishnu orchestra
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man
2,962 IQ
ive only seen youtube stuff of his with paco de lucia. i was thinking about getting some of his stuff but havent really gotten around to it yet.
therussian
For the Motherland
515 IQ
Mahavishnu FTW. A lot of my friends went to his concert 3 days ago. They said it was amazing
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
sinan90
2,455 IQ
His stuff with Miles = orgasmic.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
ZoSo.Led.Zep.
Ramble On Rose
432 IQ
His stuff with Miles is great - He's one of my top guitarist influences. His stuff with Shakti blows my mind.
Phish Phan
Dead Head
moe. ron.
Phil's Friend
deluxity
...leading to death
1,722 IQ
he seems underrated for the normal guitarist, but people who's into jazz, normally worship him (as i do)
Bootsauce
107 IQ
To this day, the best concert I've ever seen, was McLaughlin at Massey Hall in Toronto(bout 15 years ago) just blew me away; I just couldn't believe what I was hearing and how unspeakably talented this musician was. Lucky for me, he's coming back Oct 5th!!!!
GreekRockr9
UG Newbie
273 IQ
McLaughlin is a ****ing god. I've been trying to turn every last one of my friends on to him.
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
2,037 IQ
I can't get in to him personally, as i"ve stated elsewhere.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Telecaster_AGY
210 IQ
I love Mahavishnu Orchestra and his guitar work is really incredible.
Member of the EHX Guild
BigTex
124 IQ
McLaughlin was responsible for me giving up guitar for over 20 years. He is unplayable - absolutely, on every level - he can do it and more, faster, scarier and more outrageously trhan anyone else out there - and all of it in a totally controlled manner. I tried and died. He plays with his eyes to the heavens as though in direct commune with the gods. Nearest rock guitarist would be a cross between Jeff Beck and Bob Fripp. Listen out for John Mc L dueting with Carlos Santana doing Coltrane - massive!
laurel333
Psychedelic jazz musician
134 IQ
Trio Of Doom is amazing

As is Mahavishnu Orchestra

And the stuff he did with Miles

He's such a fantastic guitarist - he played Eric Clapton's Crossroads fest in 2007; thats worth a look at (he uses a whammy bar)

I think its best that he's reasonably unknown, it makes listening to his songs more like you've discovered some rare relic
Clapton
McLaughlin

Metheny
Wakenius
Glory_Box
Hallucinogenic Dreamer
118 IQ
thought i'd ressurect this to see if anyone has any of his stuff with shakti, and what it's actually like. i have most of the mahavishnu albums, some of his solo stuff, a lot of his work with miles, and think the friday night in san francisco album is one of my all time favourites. but although he's always been known to encorporate "world" music into his playing, i wasn't sure what this stuff was like, as it's supposed to be his "world" phase. is it anything like any of the aforementioned?
It Could Be Sweet, Like A Long Forgotten Dream

Quote by MattDaviesFFAF
...let me (genuinely) congratulate you on posting the most interesting thread I've seen in an age.

Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The Monty Python Appreciation Society
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You
913 IQ
Quote by Glory_Box
thought i'd ressurect this to see if anyone has any of his stuff with shakti, and what it's actually like. i have most of the mahavishnu albums, some of his solo stuff, a lot of his work with miles, and think the friday night in san francisco album is one of my all time favourites. but although he's always been known to encorporate "world" music into his playing, i wasn't sure what this stuff was like, as it's supposed to be his "world" phase. is it anything like any of the aforementioned?

I would say McLaughlin's playing with Shakti is him playing at his highest most introspective and intimate level of musicianship. Beyond merely juxtaposing jazz and indian classical music, he alongwith Zakir, L. Shankar and Viku created a new musical vocabulary. My favorite Shakti album without a doubt, is Natural Elements. I would highly recommend it.

I would also recommend checking out the Remember Shakti group, which is the contemporary avatar of Shakti. It consists of Zakir, along with younger musicians like U. Srinivas on mandolin, Sivamani on percussions, and V. Selvaganesh on the South Indian percussion instruments. It's way cool, McLaughlin plays out of a midi guitar (made by Godin I believe), and Zakir will occasionally spice it up with electronic grooves which he triggers off while playing the tabla. ****'s pretty dope.
GreekRockr9
UG Newbie
273 IQ
McLaughlin is without a doubt a genius. In my opinion, the best guitarist to grace this planet. My favorite stuff is with Mahavishnu Orchestra. My guitar teacher put it really well.

"Even if there was nobody else on the planet, as long as John McLaughlin existed, I'd be happy"
laurel333
134 IQ
Thirded
Clapton
McLaughlin

Metheny
Wakenius
srvflood
UnRegistered User
457 IQ
He is the best improv guitarist bar none. He's amazing, check out the Trio of Doom cd if you haven't already. Amazing guitarist.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
Check out his new album Floating Point.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Gris-Gris-Man
savage
467 IQ
John blazes!!!!!!!

i got a couple albums with him on it
Miles Davis - On the Corner, A Tribute to Jack Johnson, Bitches Brew
Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mountain Flame, Birds of Fire
Santana - Love Devotion Surrender, Welcome

if you dont have any of these albums.........get em!
ohhey9040
Nature Without Man
577 IQ
^Don't forget In A Silent Way, in my opinion the best of Miles' fusion recordings. I've heard good things about My Goals's Beyond also, but I might wait until I'm in a more jazz/fusion mode to get it (I'm currently in an indie/alt/punk mode).
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You
913 IQ
Quote by ohhey9040
^Don't forget In A Silent Way, in my opinion the best of Miles' fusion recordings. I've heard good things about My Goals's Beyond also, but I might wait until I'm in a more jazz/fusion mode to get it (I'm currently in an indie/alt/punk mode).

well get outta that and just go get "My Goals Beyond" - it's hard to pick a favorite from McLaughlin's catalog, but I'd put that within my top five McLaughlin solo ablums.

and on that note, they are (in no particular order):
  • Extrapolation
  • My Goals Beyond
  • Que Alegria
  • Live at the Royal Festival Hall (with Trilok Gurtu & Kai Eckhardt)
  • Electric Dreams, Electric Songs
laurel333
134 IQ
I love My Goals Beyond

Its such a brilliant stripped down John after his days recording with Miles. All acoustic - and i dig the world (specifically Indian) influences on this album. The covers on it are also taken to a new level (Goodbye Porkpie Hat/Blue In Green etc.)

His own compositions on the album are fantastic too - i like Follow Your Heart the best.
Clapton
McLaughlin

Metheny
Wakenius
srvflood
UnRegistered User
457 IQ
Don't forget Bitches Brew. Amazing album, he's got some awesome licks on that album.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
blue_strat
UG Amplified Editor
1,481 IQ
Friday Night In San Fransisco is all I have with him on it, but they're all amazing on it.
noah22791
1,076 IQ
his acoustic work is really amazing to me, I love his acoustic as much if not more than his other stuff.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Gris-Gris-Man
savage
467 IQ
yea im still tryin to find "In a Silent Way"

i cant seem to find it......but i will get it eventually...i heard its great!
'Music is the best"
Zappa
laurel333
134 IQ
it is...
Clapton
McLaughlin

Metheny
Wakenius
beavers333
Gone Phishing
595 IQ
Probably one of the only guitarists who can play jazz, fusion, classical, indian and blues as if hes dedicated his life to each one of them.

Love, Devotion, Surrender has to be my favorite electric album of his. I highly recommend any Shakti albums as well. First time I heard him when I was 16, my dad put on the L,D,S (not mormon ) and my jaw literally dropped.

Nobody can do it like McLaughlin.
ohhey9040
Nature Without Man
577 IQ
I've decided to ressurect this thread, seeing as I'm listening to some Mahavishnu Orchestra at the moment. I've recently gotten into some stuff outside of his work with Miles. I've listened to The Inner Mounting Flame and My Goal's Beyond and they ****ing blew me away. Haven't quite listened to all of Extrapolation yet, but I've liked what I've heard.
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You
913 IQ
yeah you can't go wrong with his catalog.

However, I will say, that I haven't been as impressed with his last couple of studio outings, it lacks the intensity that one usually associates with McLaughlin. However that said, the live recording of "Floating Point" with his band the 4th Dimension (Gary Husband on keys!) was pretty awesome!

but for contemporary live McLaughlin, I'd without a doubt say that his concert at the Royal Albert Hall with Trilok Gurtu on percussions, and Kai Eckhardt on bass showcases some of his spectacular and most inspired playing.
laurel333
134 IQ
Yeah John himself reckons Floating Point is possibly his best album, which is good when you consider the landmark stuff he's put out or played on

And it is a great album no doubt
Clapton
McLaughlin

Metheny
Wakenius
Last edited by laurel333 at Aug 16, 2008,
Jeekay
10 IQ
To all who recommended Extrapolation and My Goal's Beyond, I wholeheartedly agree. Here's to you!