I'm not well versed in all the electrical workings of a guitar or amp, so I had a question. When I plug in my guitar (an Epiphone Les Paul) into my amp (a small Crate practice amp, 15 watts) and turn on the distorted channel, I get a terribly muffled sound. Soloing sounds great, but when I play chords you can barely hear the difference from one chord to the next, it's just extremely loud and indistinguishable. Does this have to do with settings on the amp or is it something to do with my guitar or something else? Thanks for any help.
It's the amp. And technically speaking it's not a problem. It's just how it sounds and always will sound.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Are you playing full chords or power chords?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Full chords. It mainly occurs when I'm playing two or more high strings (e B G D).
Quote by ugadawgs311
Full chords. It mainly occurs when I'm playing two or more high strings (e B G D).

There's your problem.

Full chords + Lots of distortion = Muddy indistinguishable crap, no matter what amp you have.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
So what do professional musicians do when they're performing live? Usually you can see they're playing full chords but it doesn't sound so distorted.
You either turn down the gain or turn down the guitar's volume knob.
Quote by utsapp89