im just wondering, how many people out there that have either actually owned or currently own an Epi. G-400 like it? i got mine over a year ago and i loved the sound of it...eventually i could tell the sound was only average, so i upgraded to seymour duncans. now it really sings!! i love the fact that it looks like a high quality guitar, has high fret access, ultimate versatility....its absolutely my favorite hard rock guitar...

i dont care that its an epiphone...it plays beautifully and matches up well to a gibson.

just wondering if anyone else out there loves their EPIPHONE SG. peace

bash it, praise it, wutever, i've heard all the negativity on the guitar already, i wanna hear the positivity!!1

word to ur mothers
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
i dunno, i played the Epi then the Gibson, and the G-400 sometimes feels like a toy to me compared to the SG. a nice guitar, but for $400, not that good. Id get one for $300.
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
for some reason, the G-400's price goes up an down all the time, when i bought mine, it was $399 and then last year it was $299 and i think the price is either back up to 400 or 350. but i think after u swap the pups, you have a really good tweakin guitar. im not dissapointed in mine at all.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
My first guitar was a G400. I ended up lending it to a friend 9 months after I got it. I liked the neck a lot, but the body was a little too thin and light, the pickups were bland, and the electronics were pretty poor. If I ever get it back from him, I'll throw new pots and probably some P90s in it.

I would've bought something different if I could've jumped back in time .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
for some reason, the G-400's price goes up an down all the time, when i bought mine, it was $399 and then last year it was $299 and i think the price is either back up to 400 or 350. but i think after u swap the pups, you have a really good tweakin guitar. im not dissapointed in mine at all.

they moved production to china about a year or two ago. 2004 and earlier are likely to be korean made, like mine.

My G-400 is all stock and it sounds great. its definitely a high quality guitar, i paid £350 for it, i'm impressed even at that price (£350 is about $700 US)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I've tried them, and I loved them right away. I can't wait to get my G-400 Vintage in a few weeks.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Well I have a G400 and I love it. The neck on it is great! But theres something definately lacking in the pickups/wiring, as soon as I have some buck I'm modding it Going attempt to rewire it, set it up with P90/S/H and fit a 6 way selector switch and a coil splitter for the bucker.

/e: and IMO it plays better than a friends PRS SE. Not had a chance to compare it to a 'real' SG but from what experience I've had of them in shops I don't think it'd stand up against one..
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Well, first of all, i don't like the SG shape. Go ahead and flame, cause i don't care. Secondly, I played the G400, cause my friend has one, and it's a solid feeling guitar, and it's got a nice neck, but again... I can't sit and play it, cause it's unconfortable shape for me. and, it's stupidly heavy. it doesn't stay in tune worth **** (at least not his)... and the pickups aren't great. but...

no buts.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
The guitar itself is much like the Gibby counterpart, but the pickups will certainly bring it down. I would class it as damn near a Gibson SG but with just 'okay' pickups and a few minor differences. A truly amazing deal for the price.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
I own the Custom one....

I got it for $180 slightly used even though the MSRP is like $800 and they go for $400 or so.
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
Mid-level Epi's get a bad wrap
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Quote by Fryer Mike
Well, first of all, i don't like the SG shape. Go ahead and flame, cause i don't care. Secondly, I played the G400, cause my friend has one, and it's a solid feeling guitar, and it's got a nice neck, but again... I can't sit and play it, cause it's unconfortable shape for me. and, it's stupidly heavy. it doesn't stay in tune worth **** (at least not his)... and the pickups aren't great. but...

no buts.

1: Newer models = grover tuners. Mine stays in tune really well.

2: Heavy? No its not! If you mean neck heavy then yeah it is but you can get used to it. A good strap will help sort it out too.

3: Sits the same on my knee as a LP does, doesn't feel more or less comfortable than an LP to me, but yeah its a personal thing..
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
I have the Iommi Signature G400. It came with the Iommi Gibson pups, and my god, the treble gives you that extra hotness that the standard pickups lack, and the rhythm puts out the cleanest tone I've ever heard. I've actually been planning to put a Stetsbar and a locking nut on it so I can get those Dimesqueals out of the guitar (which shouldn't be to hard with a set of Tony's humbuckers in it!)
Quote by Fryer Mike

no buts.

mines an extremely light guitar...
and has grovers and stays in tune very well...
I looooove my vintage G400. It is teh awesomeness and I will be using it as long as it lasts and the only guitar I would prolly get over it would be a gibson les paul or sg standard maybe. Soon i hope to change the pickups, but everything is good and it stays in tune really great with the grover tuners, this makes my low ibanez feel like a toy.
I'm looking to upgrade from my starter guitar to a G400. Are there any alternatives people would recommend in the same price range? Also, people have been mentioning replacing the pickups, how much does something like that cost?
Hey toddos84, I'd say the only real good alternatives might be going used guitars, but I think that there are some ibanez's in the same price range that are good like the RG321 and RG2EX1. And for replacing the pickups, you can get good inexpensive ones from guitarfetish.com for less than 40 bucks. And for more popular name brand ones they usually cost 70 and up, then for installing the pu's you can do that yourself not too difficult.