Hey guys, i tried to solder some stuff today and i realised a brownish liquid is being emitted frm the white part of the solder iron, above the tip. It makes me have to clean the tip more often. Also, the white portion just above the tip has turned black..

Does this mean i have to get a new tip? How long does a tip usually last?

Im using a Goot (brand) 20W iron, MIJ.
Gear
MIJ Fender '57 Stratocaster
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
Said brownish liquid is flux, and without it you couldn't solder. It cleans everything, the soldering iron tip, the components you're wiring together, etc.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Thats normal. Your solder has flux in it. the flux cleans whatever you are soldering so that the solder will stick better. The brown stuff is a combo of flux and the grime.

I get about 24hrs use from a tip but it does depend on the type of solder you are using.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by zizou510
Hey guys, i tried to solder some stuff today and i realised a brownish liquid is being emitted frm the white part of the solder iron, above the tip. It makes me have to clean the tip more often. Also, the white portion just above the tip has turned black..

Does this mean i have to get a new tip? How long does a tip usually last?

Im using a Goot (brand) 20W iron, MIJ.

You're using a good quality iron, so I wouldn't say the tip is dead yet. What you need to get is some tip cleaner/tinner, which you just heat the soldering iron tip into for about 5 second when it's on. This will clean all the nasty crap off your tip, while leaving it nice and shiny for soldering.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
the brown stuff is flux, nothing to worry about, you'd need to worry more if it wasn't there...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
It's probably just the flux, no problem. It's better to have more than not enough. Otherwise you could really screw up whatever it is you are soldering.
Quote by Invader Jim
Just file off the black crap.
Bad plan. If it's an iron clad tip, you'll be filing away the iron as well.

Just wipe the iron on a damp sponge or cloth. (while it's hot) Do this often.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
It's actually aids. If you solder with it and breathe in nearby, you'll get it.

K that was stupid. It's just flux. Get some fine steel wool, and when your soldering iron is hot, put it in and out in there after every time you solder. I prefer the steel wool over the damp sponge approach.
K thanks for all your replies.

I forgot to add that im already using the wet sponge thing.. To clean my tip, i once in a while melt some solder on the tip and let the flux do its job. Then after whiping the solder on the sponge, i get a clean shiny tip. Is this a correct method?
Gear
MIJ Fender '57 Stratocaster
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
it sounds like you are putting the solder on on the iron and then using that to solder? I dont know maybe im wrong. But the solder should never ever touch the iron unless you are tinning it...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Out of interest, do all irons have replaceable tips? Mine has a pair of screws near the end of the larger section which leads onto the tip. I ask because I believe the tip of mine has dissolved...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Most of them do. Undo the screws and see what happens. Doesn't sound like you could wreck it.
^ My iron isn't this exact one, it's reasonable quality, but it has the same tip system:

I'm probably gonna end up getting some of the spare bits for those models that Maplin has. It's the same barrel, just a different handle. I wanted a nice fine tip too, the stock one is like a 6mm blade.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.