Just stopped by the music store, and saw this amp for only $199 (used of course)

I brought in my own guitar, and it sounds pretty decent. I only plan on using this amp for practice, jam sessions, or very small gigs. I know a lot of people hate digital modeling amps because they lack tone authenticity, but I was impressed with the Spider III.

I'm not rich, but I'm not much of a guitar player either. I focus primarily on bass guitar.

$199, and I have about $100 in gift certificates for this music shop. So it'll cost me about $100. What do you guys think?
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
why does Thin Lizzy sing in english if they are from ireland
Last edited by fireoptic at Sep 19, 2007,
well i guess if you use it only for home practice thats fine. i would never ever gig with it.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
If I were you, I'd look into something different. The Spiders aren't good. If you can, look for maybe a Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix amp. Either would be a lot better than the Spider. How much could you spend altogether, and what kind of music do you play?
Use
The
Search
Function
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Use
The
Search
Function

I did, and read all the "sticky" rules. Only other thread was on spider III distortion.
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
Quote by Denthúl
If I were you, I'd look into something different. The Spiders aren't good. If you can, look for maybe a Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix amp. Either would be a lot better than the Spider. How much could you spend altogether, and what kind of music do you play?

I'm not really looking to spend much more than $200. I was checking out the Roland Cube and Vox Valvetronix, and the reviews lead me to believe they would be my best option. The only problem is, I have gift cards to spend at this music store which primarily deals in used equipment. I play mostly classic rock, blues, and some grunge. The amp I currently use is a pretty old Yamaha fifty 112, which has a blown speaker and countless problems besides that.

Plus, I only have one effects pedal, which is a cheap Morley wah. I don't really want to spend an additional $100+ on a versatile effects pedal. In my opinion, those Digitech RP80's sound faker than sh*t, so the 400 preset effects on the Line 6 doesn't seem all too bad.
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
Last edited by fireoptic at Sep 19, 2007,
You just do the best you can. I think you have a bad feeling about this one though. (Little voices in your head saying "No, don't do it.") $200 will get you a brand new Crate Palomino 5 watt tube combo with a 10" speaker. A little later you can get some pedals, even (ugh) a cheap multi-effects. That way when your ear can't stand it any more you will still have a good amp.
it seems cheap for what it is, but there are much better amps for the price. line 6 spiders sound okay initially, but you start to hate the sound after a little while of playing them.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up having $150 in gift certificates, so only $50 out of my wallet. Not a bad deal if you ask me. It sounds good, except for the extreme amount of feedback. I need to figure out how to use the noisegate, haha.
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
That feedback is a huge problem when you have them loud mate. Also your tone kinda fades...it just seems a shame to be playing that '55 Gibbo through that haha. Ah wel, $50 out of the back burner ain't much is it ^^
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I am waiting for the punchline