Oki poke, i'm strting work soon and so i'll be able to save up in a short ammount of time [im a teenager, my money goes on guitar, alcohol and food/other entertainment so no bills or anything] So yeah - i want to get a high gain tube amp

Now i'm not talking Mesa Dual rec's here, they're £1700, and i just have no need to spend THAT much money on an amp, i'm not in a long term band or anything

So something about £700-800?

Prefably a head and a 1x12 or 2x12 cab

Although this isn't the biggest budget ever [and i could probably wait longer and raise more] i was thinking of perhaps some Laneys or ENGL's in that sort of pricerange - i know of models such as hte GHL and Screamer, but i've not had indepth experience with them

So basically i'd like a high gain sort of amp capable of doing metal on it's own [no more Metal Muff] and also to be quite full in it's sound if you get me
Cleans i'm not really desperate for, as i also have a Laney VC30 and i really enjoy the cleans it has

I'm also willing to look used

used peavey 6505/5150 combo easily falls into that pricerange

Getting really cliché typing that now haha
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Laney GH50L is awesome, I loved it when I tried it. Others you could look into include ENGL Screamer, ENGL Fireball, Laney VH100R.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
^ Are the GH50L's any good then? I know people like Gilbert used them for years and etc, but are they actually good?

And to the guy who mentioned the JCM, when i was in my thrash stage there was nothing i'd like more than a JCM800, but now i've sort of moved on and realised that those things need to be cranked for max effect and also they're not the most flexible of amps

Any other options for me? An orange would be outta my price range [new at least] and i'm not sure if they're voiced for shred/other types of metal etc
Quote by philipisabeast
^ Are the GH50L's any good then? I know people like Gilbert used them for years and etc, but are they actually good?

And to the guy who mentioned the JCM, when i was in my thrash stage there was nothing i'd like more than a JCM800, but now i've sort of moved on and realised that those things need to be cranked for max effect and also they're not the most flexible of amps

Any other options for me? An orange would be outta my price range [new at least] and i'm not sure if they're voiced for shred/other types of metal etc

yeah they are a more traditional uk sound not modern mesa ish like a 6505 but Mike Akerfeldt said that he prefered them over Vh100s which were a bit tinny.
Gh50ls are quite good amps. Not extremely modern but certainly not vintage.

Engl Screamer is 80s metal and hardrock and is a fantastic amp.
Dude Peavey Valveking head's are cool, a but lot of people bash them! and I think I know why...

When I first brought mine I got it for 500quid with the matching cab, now I didnt want the cab as I already had my marshall 1936 2x12 but I needed an amp QUICK and I knew I could sell the cab so I brought it. Now Im betting that all the people or at least most of them who bash the amp have tried it only through the matching cab!..

When I brought the amp home I tried it first through the matching cab and it was pretty naf really! just souded bad.. but then when I hooked the head up to my marshall cab the thing came alive! thing sounds great!! and Plenty of gain! you will need to pair it with some high output pickups to really get the most out of it tho!

I know I love mine! I use it at home and out at live gigs and it does just fine!
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Quote by False_God
A/b your laney with the laney GH50L

Sweet setup you would have there!

+1

Yeah the GH50Ls are awesome amps, think hot rodded JCM800 with enough gain for death metal and a distinctive sound all of its own.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Axeman99 at Sep 19, 2007,
^ Haha i used to own a Peavey VK212 and it didn't have enough gain at all for me [plus it was huge so i sold it for my vc30]
But cheers for the input anyway man
That's cool man but like I said the speakers are the reason it sounded crap!
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
^ Yeah they were pretty bad, but they weren't as bad as they could of
But in the end i decided the cleans weren't nice enough, the dist wasn't strong enough and it was also far to large/heavy and big for my needs so yeah it had to go, and i'm happy with my current rig
Buy my amp on eBay, it's a combo but it should suit you quite nicely, link's in my sig if you want to check it out.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
laney tt50 combo, engl screamer, laney gh head and 2x12 cab, peavey 5150/6505 combo. All worth a try. marshall jvm's probably worth a try too, though i preferred its more vintage tones to its more modern ones.

i've probably forgotten a few obvious ones too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?