something along the lines of john frusciante's sound, but i also want some versatility.. i hate the sound of a distorted strat, but i REALLY love its clean tone.

only problem is, i'm on a budget of about $800, and i'm not sure what guitar i should get.

i'm planning on spending $400 on an amp and $400 on a guitar. maybe 500/300 or other variations, but i absolutely can't spend more than $800 right now.

i've looked at a MIM strat and that's about it. would a les paul sound awful? any suggestions? what do semi hollow bodies sound like?

i can't really personally test these guitars because i live in the middle of nowhere and the closest guitar shop is 3 hours away.

here's the thing.. recently i've really wanted to start playing some deep heavy toned metal and varied genres of music, but i want a nice clean sound. the HSS strat sounds weird, still sounds very "thin" to me, and in no way compares to the LP. is it impossible to get both types?

by what i posted.. would i be disappointed if i just impulsively got an epiphone les paul or a schecter omen 6 or something like that? or should i just stick to getting a MIM strat.

again all i have to go on are youtube videos because there are absolutely no guitar shops within 3 hours of here and i just don't have the time in my schedule to go.
Believe me or not, Keyboards Amp's are absolutley amazing for clean guitar tones, they sound so natural and the reverb is sooooo sweet , and they work fine with effects pedals usually too
An MIM tele I think would be great for you. IMO tele cleans beat strat cleans, and teles have a better overdriven sound too.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Used Fender Blues Jr. $250
Used American Strat $500
Cheap chorus pedal $50
--------------------------------
The tone you're looking for = $800
Quote by Indycomm
Used Fender Blues Jr. $250
Used American Strat $500
Cheap chorus pedal $50
--------------------------------
The tone you're looking for = $800

+1.
I dunno about the price...But look for the Standard or the Highway one teles...the sound on that is SUPER clean...and also try for a Fender Jaguar...that things complicated but im darn certain that John Frusciante used that in RHCP's Live in Hyde Park...plus it gives that extra edge on the funk section also the metal tones can come with it considering Kurt Cobain used it too...soo i dunno look those up...
Quote by Novical
I dunno about the price...But look for the Standard or the Highway one teles...the sound on that is SUPER clean...and also try for a Fender Jaguar...that things complicated but im darn certain that John Frusciante used that in RHCP's Live in Hyde Park...plus it gives that extra edge on the funk section also the metal tones can come with it considering Kurt Cobain used it too...soo i dunno look those up...

cobain used a mustang
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
Quote by spaminator101
cobain used a mustang

He also used a Jag for a bit. And Cobain isn't metal.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild