i switched from .9 gauge strings to .11. and i didnt adjust the trussrod, what can happen?
The trussrod has nothing to do with it. You would need to raise your bridge a bit though to prevent string buzz.
its just that everybody says you have to adjust the truss rod so thats what i thoufgt
Quote by EEF13
its just that everybody says you have to adjust the truss rod so thats what i thoufgt

A lot of people don't have a clue what they're talking about.
Depending on the thickness of your neck, it will warp a bit. The truss rod just counteracts that. Its not essential but it helps
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by CJRocker
A lot of people don't have a clue what they're talking about.

mm which would include you.

Of course the truss rod would come into play. Theres a huge amount of extra tension on the neck. While its not necessary, one shouldn't say it hasn't got anything to do with it. The neck would warp under that tension depending on how thick it is.

I've even seen and heard of guitars whose necks have twisted.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
mm which would include you.

Of course the truss rod would come into play. Theres a huge amount of extra tension on the neck.

I've done this before (went from 9s to GHS Zakks on my Squier) and it didn't do a thing. And if it didn't harm my cheapass Squier I fool with, I doubt its going to anything to his. The bridge will need adjustment as the strings will be thicker and thus closer to the frets, but the truss rod won't which is what he's asking. Its possible it could need adjustment sooner then normal, but its certainly not going to any bad to the guitar.
You will need to make a tiny bit of adjustment, as thats quite a bit jump, so itl warp a tad, so just make a tiny adjustment, only a quarter turn at a time remember, and it'll be fine.

Oh, and well done on choosing 11's, they are awesome.
Quote by CJRocker
I've done this before (went from 9s to GHS Zakks on my Squier) and it didn't do a thing. And if it didn't harm my cheapass Squier I fool with, I doubt its going to anything to his. The bridge will need adjustment as the strings will be thicker and thus closer to the frets, but the truss rod won't which is what he's asking. Its possible it could need adjustment sooner then normal, but its certainly not going to any bad to the guitar.

yes, but like i said above, it isnt right to tell hi that it has nothinjg to do with it, and if he gets it set up now, it could prevent any possible damage to the guitar.

Plus squieres have thick necks. If he has something like an ibby or jackson then he should get it set up.

and FYI, the higher tension would allow you to lower the strings slightly(within a certain gauge range) since the extra tension keeps the vibrations lower.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by CJRocker

Roll eyes all you want, but the truss rod might come into play, depending on the neck.

Raising the bridge though? Why? Heavier strings on the same tuning would have more tension. If anything, that might allow you for a lower action with no buzz, not the other way.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
^ yeah, thats true, you will need to change the intonation, its easy, just move the bridge screws closer to the pickups if its flat at the 12th fret, and further away if its sharp
Quote by pifty
Roll eyes all you want, but the truss rod might come into play, depending on the neck.

Raising the bridge though? Why? Heavier strings on the same tuning would have more tension. If anything, that might allow you for a lower action with no buzz, not the other way.

I'm just going on my experience. I've run heavy strings on my Jackson (Zakk Wydles) and on my Squier without issue. Guess I'm lucky A thicker string will thus place it closer to the frets, which would make it more likely to buzz.

Quote by GreenDayChris
I went from nines to tens and it buggered my intonation.

You know, I did notice a slight change in the intonation of my Jackson when I went to heavier strings, but shrugged it off as having a picky ear, though I did fix it (it was a little sharp) when I set it up. Good catch.
It means the neck bends, moves, or contorts unnaturally, thus changing the shape and often ruining it.