I would think yes unless you said something more than just thanks like: Thanks for critting my song lyrics, I was hoping someone would say that! I'll definatly take the advice... blah blah blah
Hi ++salas++,

Welcome to UG

Great question, but no universal answer.

Each of the forums will have very different rules on bumping.

Go to the forum your thread is in, and read the rules specific to that forum. Reading those is always a good idea anyway. If you're still uncertain, ask a Mod for that specific forum in a Private Message. They'll much prefer to give you the info you need rather than to need to issue a warning for breaking the rules.

Cheers,
SYK

EDIT: In certain forums, it's perfectly legal to bump, but bumping too soon can result in a warning or ban. LEARN where, when, and how you can bump legally.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Sep 19, 2007,
Just don't bump a thread thats long dead and you'll be fine
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
"Once threads are past the halfway point of the 2nd page, they are "dead" and should not be replied to. Sometimes, the marker for dead threads is higher up in less popular forums, while in forums like the Pit, threads can go from the top of the page to bottom of the 2nd in about an hour."

So if you bump it while its on the first page or as long as it isn't 1/2 way on the second, you'll be fine .
As SYK said rules on "bumping" varies from forum to forum, for example in the forums with original work such as the recordings forums or Songwriting & Lyrics there's problems with people trying to keep their threads at the top of the first page to get more replies, so bumping is treated quite strictly, this is from S&L:

Quote by S&L Rules, The Hurt Within
Bumping Your Piece.
‘Bumping’ is when you pointlessly make a post in your own thread in order to push it to the top of the queue. This is currently a big problem, and thus we will are cracking down on it. Basically don’t do it, just critique someone else and they will bump it for you with a critique. You can answer questions but bumping every other post will result in a warning. This also goes for double posting. Bumping your piece after 3 other replies is the limit, unless you are answering a direct question, failing to adhere to this results in an instant warning.

In addition to this, there will be from this point an instant warning for anyone who bumps their piece by deleting a previous reply and reposting an exact copy in its place, so as to bump the piece, but make it appear as though nothing has change. You can't get away with this, I see everything! This is a pet hate of mine, I will not let it slide.

So just posting "thanks" to get your thread back on to the first page could get you a waring or your thread closed.

That said, a forum like the pit has threads which drop 20 pages and then come back, and that's fine, so long as the new posts are adding to the thread. Forums like that nobody'll mind if you say thanks if someone answers your question/helps you, provided you're not bumping the thread too much, say if it's gone off the first page.

I suppose a good general guide for "thank you" posts is that it's OK to post them in most of the forums, providing you're not doing it to bump the thread, i.e. the thread's already at the front/top of the page, but be careful with forums like R&R and S&L.

If you really want to thank someone, there's always PMs, and just reading the forums for a while should give you a good idea of what's OK and what isn't, but if you're still unsure you can PM the mod of the forum.
can you bump a thread if you want more replies to it? for example, i had to bump my thread about what guitar should a beginner buy because i only got a few replies.
no.
If you need to bump it, usually it means no one knows the answer. And bumping wont make them know anything more.

Saying "bump" or anything like that to bring a thread back to the top of the forum just to get more replies isnt allowd.
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
no.
If you need to bump it, usually it means no one knows the answer. And bumping wont make them know anything more.

Saying "bump" or anything like that to bring a thread back to the top of the forum just to get more replies isnt allowd.

i just asked a question in the thread which put it back to the top. then i got more replies lol.
There is a huge difference between saying:

Anyone?

and

Hey guys, I was thinking blah blah blah could that lead to blah blah blah?

Nº1=spam
Nº2=valid post.
Quote by dog20
i just asked a question in the thread which put it back to the top. then i got more replies lol.

Well, er, that wasnt technically bumping. You asked a question. You didnt write "bump"
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
Well, er, that wasnt technically bumping. You asked a question. You didnt write "bump"

ok thats cool. i was thinking that you cant bump it up at all, which would stink if i only got 3 replies lol. so its ok to "bump" by contributing to the thread and as long as it isn't too old?
dog20,

That's a very gray area. It depends on which forum you're in. The rules for Songwriting & Lyrics are going to be radically different from Guitar & Bass Basics. And in Classifieds, bumping is totally legal, except you can't do it too soon, or too often. You really have to refer to the rules for that particular forum. They all work differently. It has to be that way. When in doubt check with a Mod or a forum regular.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.