I teach beginning guitar and was wondering if anyone else taught. I had a lesson today and I went through basic chords and stuff with the kid, who is 19. He's only been playing for a few weeks but he can play the chords and get all the notes to ring out, which I thought was good. Anyways, what do you think I should teach next? I may show him the first form of the major scale, but I think even that will be too much. Maybe just the notes on each string going down the fretboard. This is only the second lesson I've given.

I think I did well but I still need a little advice from fellow teachers.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
I would stick with chords for a couple more lessons, unless he comes back with a question or something. If he comes back wanting to know a song or how to solo or something along those lines, then get into scales a bit more. But since he's just learning, i'd say keep going with the chords for a few lessons. Teach all the open chords , then go onto barre chords. Also, find out what kind of music he likes and teach him some songs. New players really like to see that they can make music.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
I'm 15 and teach a few friends from school.

Because of how i preferred to learn I just asked them to choose a song and im gradually building it up with them

and know thiers chords and what not, but id rather do something they enjoy as opposed to boring them so they quit guitar
Quote by rocabillyrollup
id rather do something they enjoy as opposed to boring them so they quit guitar

+1

Exactly the point I was getting at.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
Quote by Guitarist132

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
Well it's a little difficult because I asked him what music he listens to, and he basically said "anything." He wasn't very specific and just gave generic responses to my questions. I think I'll continue with the open chords and stuff. Thanks for the advice guys.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Ahh. Then just pick out a nice song that uses a few of the chords you've taught him. Let him listen to the song first and then start teaching him the chords and progression. He'll most likely love learning it 'cause it'll be him making music instead of just him listening to music.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
Quote by Guitarist132

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
Teach him little bits of different generas (not for the next lesson, but some in the future.)

Try showing him the chords for the key of C and what the numbered progressions mean. (ie: I II III IV V VI VII) Also try showing the CAGED system to him after he has his chords down.

That's what I usually do and I try to give examples from famous songs he should know. Good luck teaching; it beats working at McDonalds.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
Quote by wholovesthesun
Teach him little bits of different generas (not for the next lesson, but some in the future.)

Try showing him the chords for the key of C and what the numbered progressions mean. (ie: I II III IV V VI VII) Also try showing the CAGED system to him after he has his chords down.

That's what I usually do and I try to give examples from famous songs he should know. Good luck teaching; it beats working at McDonalds.

Yeah, eventually I will definitely get into the CAGED system and some theory and stuff. I don't think that will be anytime soon though.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp