Page 1 of 7
*Before we begin, please, if you read this, read it all the way through. It really needs to be completely read. Thank you*

"Hey, you!"
"Huh?"
"Yeah, i'm talkin' to you."
"Waddya want?"
"What kinda music you into?"
"Death Metal, mostly. You know, Slipknot, System of a Down, Jimmy Eat World. The usual."
"That's not Metal, dick."
*Beating Proceeds*

So, we all know these kinds of people. Shit, half the people reading this right now are probably elitist jackoffs, shit, I'm an elitist to some extent.

So, you may find yourself asking, "why, oh why dear lord, do these egotistical, idiotic miscreants feel the need to pester us so often with their shenanigans?" I think I may have come up with a conclusion as to why Metalheads are such elitist people, whereas you may find others, generally more accepting. Let's begin with a few examples, shall we?

Let's take an excerpt from my life, if you please. I'm sitting in a car with my girlfriend and a friend of hers. I put in my Cowboys From Hell CD, pop back to Track 11, sit back, and enjoy The Sleep. Now, of course, if this were a car that, say, I was not the owner of, I'd be forced to listen to the likes of Lil' Jon, Lil' B, Lil' G, 8 Ball and da Krazy Qs, JJ, BB, and HunkoCorn, Fitty, Big J, Lil' JGE, Double EZ, Triple EZ, Quadruple EZ n da lil EZ'Z. You get the point. So, to continue, alright, I admit. The heavy bit at the beginning of The Sleep is a little vulgar and rough to get used to, and requires a certain acquired taste from Metal. But, for the love of god, the nice, acoustic intro to that song is sweet and melodic to the ear, is it not? I certainly don't think it was so bad as for my girlfriend's friend to feel the need to clutch my shoulder and scream, "TURN IT OFF, I'M DYING!" I mean, hell, when I'm in your car, I don't bitch, bitch. What is this little event supposed to prove? Merely the fact that, as a Metalhead, we usually get more crap from the "trendy" kids than we give them, from my experience.

Carrying on. Let's look at this little tidbit. I'm sitting in my Desktop Publishing class, minding my own business, when...lo and behold! Another friend of my girlfriend's passes by. My god, I wasn't even listening to Metal! I was listening to freaking BUFFALO by Stump! And what does she go and say? "God, Ramzi, I can't believe you listen to this! It's just noise! There's no music!" Well. There are instruments, and singing. I clearly am misguided about the definition of, "music." So I proceeded to explain to her that certain songs are written for certain purposes, and she goes, "but you can't dance to it..." Frustrated, I shook my head and focused on my computer again. The point of this? Again, that while I, as a Metalhead elitist, will try to explain something to someone, even though they just want to be thick headed and stubborn about it.

I understand, of course, that I'm not providing solid, concrete fact. I am, however, providing experiences from me, myself, being the person that I am, and taking notice of other Metalheads around me in similar and different environments, we are usually more open-minded, since we like what sounds good. Think I'm wrong? Why does anybody bother listening to Arch Enemy? I can make a guess, randomly, right now, that more people would vote that they like Michael Amott's parts in songs than Angela Gossow. You know why? Because he provides a melodic background to her vulgar singing. Why can't most people WAIT until Floods is about to end, just at that, what is it, 50 seconds where Dime plays the sweetest sounding outro I've ever been privileged to hear? Against a backdrop of the pitter-patter of rain, it comes together nicely. Or we could take guitar harmonies, say, Battery, the intro. I've yet to meet a person who hasn't enjoyed the hell out of that.

Then, of course, there is the other branch of trendy kids. The Panic! At the Disco kids. The "Simple Plan aren't that bad..." kids. All the future K-Feds and Lindsay Lohans of the world. Well, I'll admit. Funeral For a Friend is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I am utterly BEWILDERED at how parents and teachers will say that Heavy Metal is the biggest cause of teen suicide, when most wrist-slashers I know (sadly, I know a few) are sad, "like those guys that did Styrofoam Plates!"

Again, I'm not meaning to offend anyone, this is just my opinion of why Metalheads are elitists...most of the time.

Moving on back to my point. Heavy Metal never asks you to kill yourself, or kill other people (sometimes) , and it is rarely ever about superficial topics. Most Metal is cathartic in nature, in that it allows you to relate, and helps you feel.

Now, with emo/post-hardcore/pop-punk etc...I can understand why the kids could "sort of" relate to that. However, I find it hard to really, "relate" to, "I'll letcha lick da lolly pop! Hey!" When you're feeling blue, and whatnot. And, as most people I've asked claim that, "the beat is always good to dance to." (direct quote from the ex ) then why are they bothering me about my music? I'm not preaching it to them, am I? I'm minding my own business. It's them that keep bugging me about listening to "music that doesn't suck" etc...When, from all of what I know, they just want something to dance to!

Thus, I had come to make my conclusion, that Metalheads (not to mention other "rockers" who are also just as elitist, Metalheads are merely more open about it.) are elitist due to the fact that we receive so much crap from others for our taste in music, that we have just grown to become defiant, and to camp our ground. And believe me, as any other Metalhead will tell you. We don't do it for the glory, because we usually get disrespected anyway. We don't do it to be mean, there's more of them then there is of us. We do it for the music. We defend our Amon Amarths and our Kreators and Slayers and Bloodbaths and our Savatages and our Dimmu Borgir's and yes, even our Metallicas and Panteras, because we love this music for no other purpose, and we don't take shit from other people, ergo, we are dicks about our music.

And THAT is why I believe that Metalheads are elitist pricks.

I really hope you guys enjoyed this essay. I'm really not directing any hate towards anybody, just trying to strengthen a theory that I believe, that I wished to share with the Pit. I should be doing Business homework, but I'm not. Soooo...enjoy
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Last edited by Firenze at Sep 20, 2007,
"Death Metal, mostly. You know, Slipknot, System of a Down, Jimmy Eat World. The usual."

'Cause I had a convo like that. There was this guy who was incredibly scene-wannabe (sort of) and throughout last year went from quite cool to complete wasteman come general twat.
Jerk.

no really, the funnerest part was this:

Bause i skipped the in between paragraphs.
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Kensai, nice job. Excellent prop useage for the plot development of this thread, it incited a few lol's.
I kind of agree, although I'm not a metal head.

But then again I get moaned at for listening to anything that's not popular so...yeah.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
Metalheads are elitist because this is an internet forum where there is no reprecussions to acting like an asshole and everybody thinks they are right while everyone else is too ignorant to see what REAL music is, according to them.
Well, I'm proud to be an "elitist metalhead prick"
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Don't try and make excuses for ignorant metalheads.

Or rather, don't try and make excuses for metalheads.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

I like Panic! at the Disco, Simple Plan, Jimmy Eat World etc. and I can easily see why people like metal and can appreciate it, whereas metalheads are always very quick to call the music I like "sh*t", and worse. Is this because they resent the fact that mainstream shuns the metal culture and fashion, and tends to embrace pop-punk? I don't know, nor do I care. We're all passionate about music, so why can't people (metallers in particular) just see that we all love the buzz we get from listening to music we really enjoy, but that the genres that gives us these feeling are different from person to person.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Last edited by Yakult at Sep 19, 2007,
are all metal heads elitists, or are you just in the mood to rant?

yes that is a rhetorical question
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by Firenze
we are usually more open-minded,

haha
Biggest laugh I've had all day, thanks.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by Firenze

Yeah. I just think you're wankers, as is anyone who indulges in musical elitism.
Well, again, i'm not trying (purposely, at least) to make broad, sweeping generalizations. I just see loads of people bitching about ignorant metal heads. I've been trying to think about it
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Firenze, I love you. Marry me?

And I think your whole essay can be summed by what Dave Mustaine said in Take No Prisoners:

"Take no prisoners. Take no SH*T!"
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by JamieB
Don't try and make excuses for ignorant metalheads.

Or rather, don't try and make excuses for metalheads.

I consider myself a metalhead, but I enjoy lots of genres of music....

Why do you think everyone who likes metal can't possibly like anything else?
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
*Puts The Sleep on*

Ah, that's good ****in' ****!

When I get a car, I'm SO playing stuff like this, just to piss everyone off
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Quote by Firenze

Moving on back to my point. Heavy Metal never asks you to kill yourself, or kill other people (sometimes) , and it is rarely ever about superficial topics. Most Metal is cathartic in nature, in that it allows you to relate, and helps you feel.

I take issue with this one, of all the genres I know they sing about pointless topics the most, which is half of the appeal imo.

Still, nice rant i'll give you that
Quote by Lord-Hypnos
I consider myself a metalhead, but I enjoy lots of genres of music....

Why do you think everyone who likes metal can't possibly like anything else?

Because most people on this site are 13-15 who 'love' metal and say rap/emo is only listened to by scene kids, fags, or sheep.
Quote by Alix_D
I take issue with this one, of all the genres I know they sing about pointless topics the most, which is half of the appeal imo.

Still, nice rant i'll give you that

Well, this may well be the most ignorant sounding thing I've said here, but I think most mainstream bands sings about breaking up with your girlfriend and silly issues as such. Don't hate me. Please.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
The entire reason for ANYONE defending their musical tastes is simply because they feel that they are recieving something 'better' from it.

Better in a sense that some people will tell you they just like music that makes you think.
Others will say they like music you can dance to.

Some people like all of it.
Some people like none of it.

What people fail to realize is that, even though YOU might not get something out of the music, it doesnt mean someone else isnt getting the same cathartic effects that you get from your preferred genre of music.

Now, I know it's hard to believe that someone could possibly recieve anything remotly cathartic from the likes of 50 Cent...but you'd be surprised...

The only thing I get upset with is sloppy musicianship.
Not to say I dont appreciate simplistic songs. I'm simply saying when someone claims to be a musician but will not go beyond playing things they already know, or are already comfortable with...it shows no desire to grow as a musician...in which case they should just simply claim to be entertainers, rather then artists.

Well, thats my two cents.

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being..."

~ C.G. Jung
Quote by darkstar2466
Well, this may well be the most ignorant sounding thing I've said here, but I think most mainstream bands sings about breaking up with your girlfriend and silly issues as such. Don't hate me. Please.

Because eating corpses, dragons, fantasy, blood, and death is so much more important.
That was one of the best essays I've ever read.

You should submit it as a Junkyard column.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
What does it matter? All metalheads are crazy goths who are going to kill themselves someday anyways.
Quote by Doofag
Because eating corpses, dragons, fantasy, blood, and death is so much more important.

Generalizations FTW.

(The guy you quoted did it too, I wasnt just saying you did it )

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being..."

~ C.G. Jung
Quote by Doofag

Oh, you know it is.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Doofag

Quality laugh

Quote by Metal_Rich
That was one of the best essays I've ever read.

You should submit it as a Junkyard column.

Is that sarcasm?
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
why does everyone think metalheads are assholes? i'm a metalhead, but i like a lot of different music, but i don't really bash any type (except modern day rap). don't be a dip****, broad generalizations are bound to have opposition disproving you
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
Simply put I'm one of those people who

Likes some metal and hates some metal
Likes some pop/rock and hates some
etc for every genre

I say I'm a metalhead because I like more metal than I hate, and I probably hate more rap than I like..

All I'm saying is that the quality of music shouldn't be based on the genre people put it in
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by MattPerson911
why does everyone think metalheads are assholes? i'm a metalhead, but i like a lot of different music, but i don't really bash any type (except modern day rap). don't be a dip****, broad generalizations are bound to have opposition disproving you

Thats why genius
Quote by MattPerson911

As I said man, I'm not trying to make broad generalizations about ALL metalheads. I'm saying, from my experience, and from what I see in the Pit.

I listen to a whole bunch of different stuff, and I don't bash anything, not even modern day "rap"

I was just trying to make an inference.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
*Before we begin, please, if you read this, read it all the way through. It really needs to be completely read. Thank you*

"Hey, you!"
"Huh?"
"Yeah, i'm talkin' to you."
"Waddya want?"
"What kinda music you into?"
"That's not Metal, dick."
*Beating Proceeds*

So, we all know these kinds of people. Shit, half the people reading this right now are probably elitist jackoffs, shit, I'm an elitist to some extent.

So, you may find yourself asking, "why, oh why dear lord, do these egotistical, idiotic miscreants feel the need to pester us so often with their shenanigans?" I think I may have come up with a conclusion as to why Metalheads are such elitist people, whereas you may find others, generally more accepting. Let's begin with a few examples, shall we?

Let's take an excerpt from my life, if you please. I'm sitting in a car with my girlfriend and a friend of hers. I put in my Cowboys From Hell CD, pop back to Track 11, sit back, and enjoy The Sleep. Now, of course, if this were a car that, say, I was not the owner of, I'd be forced to listen to the likes of Lil' Jon, Lil' B, Lil' G, 8 Ball and da Krazy Qs, JJ, BB, and HunkoCorn, Fitty, Big J, Lil' JGE, Double EZ, Triple EZ, Quadruple EZ n da lil EZ'Z. You get the point. So, to continue, alright, I admit. The heavy bit at the beginning of The Sleep is a little vulgar and rough to get used to, and requires a certain acquired taste from Metal. But, for the love of god, the nice, acoustic intro to that song is sweet and melodic to the ear, is it not? I certainly don't think it was so bad as to feel the need to clutch my shoulder and scream, "TURN IT OFF, I'M DYING!" I mean, hell, when I'm in your car, I don't bitch, bitch. What is this little event supposed to prove? Merely the fact that, as a Metalhead, we usually get more crap from the "trendy" kids than we give them, from my experience.

Carrying on. Let's look at this little tidbit. I'm sitting in my Desktop Publishing class, minding my own business, when...lo and behold! Another friend of my girlfriend's passes by. My god, I wasn't even listening to Metal! I was listening to freaking BUFFALO by Stump! And what does she go and say? "God, Ramzi, I can't believe you listen to this! It's just noise! There's no music!" Well. There are instruments, and singing. I clearly am misguided about the definition of, "music." So I proceeded to explain to her that certain songs are written for certain purposes, and she goes, "but you can't dance to it..." Frustrated, I shook my head and focused on my computer again. The point of this? Again, that while I, as a Metalhead elitist, will try to explain something to someone, even though they just want to be thick headed and stubborn about it.

I understand, of course, that I'm not providing solid, concrete fact. I am, however, providing experiences from me, myself, being the person that I am, and taking notice of other Metalheads around me in similar and different environments, we are usually more open-minded, since we like what sounds good. Think I'm wrong? Why does anybody bother listening to Arch Enemy? I can make a guess, randomly, right now, that more people would vote that they like Michael Amott's parts in songs than Angela Gossow. You know why? Because he provides a melodic background to her vulgar singing. Why can't most people WAIT until Floods is about to end, just at that, what is it, 50 seconds where Dime plays the sweetest sounding outro I've ever been privileged to hear? Against a backdrop of the pitter-patter of rain, it comes together nicely. Or we could take guitar harmonies, say, Battery, the intro. I've yet to meet a person who hasn't enjoyed the hell out of that.

Then, of course, there is the other branch of trendy kids. The Panic! At the Disco kids. The "Simple Plan aren't that bad..." kids. All the future K-Feds and Lindsay Lohans of the world. Well, I'll admit. Funeral For a Friend is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I am utterly BEWILDERED at how parents and teachers will say that Heavy Metal is the biggest cause of teen suicide, when most wrist-slashers I know (sadly, I know a few) are sad, "like those guys that did Styrofoam Plates!"

Again, I'm not meaning to offend anyone, this is just my opinion of why Metalheads are elitists...most of the time.

Now, with emo/post-hardcore/pop-punk etc...I can understand why the kids could "sort of" relate to that. However, I find it hard to really, "relate" to, "I'll letcha lick da lolly pop! Hey!" When you're feeling blue, and whatnot. And, as most people I've asked claim that, "the beat is always good to dance to." (direct quote from the ex ) then why are they bothering me about my music? I'm not preaching it to them, am I? I'm minding my own business. It's them that keep bugging me about listening to "music that doesn't suck" etc...When, from all of what I know, they just want something to dance to!

Thus, I had come to make my conclusion, that Metalheads (not to mention other "rockers" who are also just as elitist, Metalheads are merely more open about it.) are elitist due to the fact that we receive so much crap from other for our taste in music, that we have just grown to become defiant, and to camp our ground. And believe me, as any other Metalhead will tell you. We don't do it for the glory, because we usually get disrespected anyway. We don't do it to be mean, there's more of them then there is of us. We do it for the music. We defend our Amon Amarths and our Kreators and Slayers and Bloodbaths and our Savatages and our Dimmu Borgir's and yes, even our Metallicas and Panteras, because we love this music for no other purpose, and we don't take shit from other people, ergo, we are dicks about are music.

I really hope you guys enjoyed this essay. I'm really not directing any hate towards anybody, just trying to strengthen a theory that I believe, that I wished to share with the Pit. I should be doing Business homework, but I'm not. Soooo...enjoy

WHAT!

No!
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by Doofag
Thats why genius

Because he looks down on some modern day rap (with good reason) he's an asshole?
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_

Ninja of the Ninja Club
ok first of all way to generalize every metal head in the entire world based off a few encounters with some of them... Also how can you catergorize every person in the world into a rigid category like that... Just a example of your logic... If a few people that like chocolate are mean to me then anyone who likes chocolate is mean... well forgive me if this comment is assine but I think you deserve it and im sorry if your going to perceive me as a indubitably narcissistic overly condecending imperious elitist... but whatever... maybe stupid people shouldnt right paragraphs of ignorance... You're no different then any other fool blindly parading his ignorance screaming its ok to be wrong as long as I believe im RIGHT!!!