I get paid on monday so I'll have an absolute maximum budget of around £800 with which to play with. Obviously I have other non guitar related things that I could spend it on (external hard drive, holiday, alcohol etc) but I thought 'screw that... guitar first'

so...

£300-600 budget for a guitar that can do stuff from hard rock to metal to shred.

Immediately I thought Ibanez and so headed down to my local guitar shop and had a look around.

Asked what model an ibanez on the top row was. before I knew it it was being shoved into my hands and plugged into the Orange rocker 30 that my mate was trying.

Turns out it was an RGT42DX. Thru neck, mahogany body, 24 frets on a rosewood fretboard and 2 humbuckers with coil splitting in positions 2 and 4. I really liked the neck and the overall feel of this guitar, but it didn't have a trem arm in so I couldn't really test out the trem. Which turns out to be an Edge III but after a bit of research it seems that the edge III is a decent fit for an OFR so I could replace it later on when it does die on me.

I also tried an RG1570 and while it wasn't uncomfortable, it didn't feel as nice (to me) as the RGT42dx (but to be fair I didn't play it all that much and it was on a different day so I could just have been in a different mood). This one has a better trem than the RGT (edge pro) and is made of basswood with a bolt on neck. It also has 24 frets on a rosewood fretboard but has a HSH configuration, meaning that it should be able to get somewhat similar sounds to the RGT42DX (that's after a pickup change, which is to come in the not too distant future if I choose either of these).

I was also looking at a pgm301. It comes with good pickups already (dimarzios) but is a bit more expensive and just outside the 300-600 price range but If I can find a decent used one then I wouldn't rule it out. it has 24 frets with a maple fretboard but it has a bolt on neck and it doesn't have a trem. I'd like to try this one just to see what It's like but I cant find one anywhere.

So I have this weekend to look at and try a few guitars (obviously i have longer but you know what I mean).

specs that I'm looking for.

24 frets.

at least 2 humbuckers maybe throw in a SC in the middle.

I don't know whether a trem is necessary, I'd use it if i had one, and restringing it wouldnt really bother me but I don't think that I wouldn't look at or buy a guitar without one.

thin neck with a flat-ish fretboard

preferably thru neck but not a deal breaker. On a semi related note, good upper fret access is a must so if it's a bolt on I'd prefer some kind of AANJ or at least a sculpted joint.

basically suggest guitars in that price range that'll do what I want and I'll choose whichever is comfiest.

BTW i have a marshall JCM900 hi gain dual reverb and that's it. the money that doesnt get spent on guitar will most likely go on effects, so bear that in mind when suggesting.

tl;dr

suggest me some shred guitars in the £300-600 range

Thanks in advance.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
doesnt have 24 frets.

and afaik its bolt on but I'll have to look into that.

I'll give it a go though

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I agree with the Ibanez S470...it has good upper fret access, a great bridge, and H-s-h configuration
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
I've got the PGM and it certainly is a great guitar, but yeah, a right nightmare to track down. I've seen 2 in my travels...and one of them is currently laying on the sofa next to me haha. I hear they've been having trouble sourcing them in the UK, big style. They are very, very nice guitars though and the only issue I have with it is that it dents and chips so damn easily! I practically tuck her into bed and she's got chips on her. My gigging guitars are fine >.<

Like stated the S470 is a great guitar if you can live without the 2 extra notes. If you like the PGM you could look into the RGA121. It doesn't have a trem and is a really beautiful guitar. Hardtail Ibanez's for the win. You could possibly look into Jacksons too, but I don't know much about them.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
If you're willing to go with something other than an Ibanez, may suggest a good KE3.

24 frets, Alder body, LFR, and a pair of Duncans. I also heard that their LFRs are made by Schaller (Someone around here said that). I'd look into that guitar, it sure is beaut. But I heard the upper-fret access is a bit sketchy because of the bolt-on joint. But it is a good guitar nonetheless. Check it out.

Cheers!
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
yeah im not exclusively looking at ibanez's

but I think the KE3 is a bit too metal for me.

im looking for something that's versatile and wont really look out of place in a rock band (a superstrat can fit in just about anywhere.)

but thanks, I'll have a look at it.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Dazed/Confused
I agree with the Ibanez S470...it has good upper fret access, a great bridge, and H-s-h configuration

There's no single coil. But it's a nice guitar.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
yeah im not exclusively looking at ibanez's

but I think the KE3 is a bit too metal for me.

im looking for something that's versatile and wont really look out of place in a rock band (a superstrat can fit in just about anywhere.)

but thanks, I'll have a look at it.
Fair enough. I can see where you're coming from. In that case, I'd have a go at the Washburn X50 (posted above me). Washburn makes high quality guitars for good prices.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Ibanez S470s are really nice but I dont think it'd suit you.

The PGM is available on GAK for under £100 more than you're willing to spend, and you don't really NEED a trem, I learnt this about. . a week after I got my S470, though they are fun little htings that can add some nice sounds to your playing.
^ Make sure you email GAK before buying the PGM. When I called when I bought mine, they sure as hell didn't have any and didn't know when they would.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Ibanez S470s are really nice but I dont think it'd suit you.

The PGM is available on GAK for under £100 more than you're willing to spend, and you don't really NEED a trem, I learnt this about. . a week after I got my S470, though they are fun little htings that can add some nice sounds to your playing.

but as I've said there aren't any available to try.

plus it's over the original budget so for me to buy it I'd have to really like it.

but I can't try it to like it.

EDIT: ^yeah I'm sure i heard in the shred forum someone talking about how his pgm would take 5 months to get to him.

I'm all for a good guitar but I want it now. lol

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Sep 19, 2007,
Quote by kyrreca
There's no single coil. But it's a nice guitar.

There is a single coil, and correct it is a very nice guitar, especially for shred

OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
There is a single coil, and correct it is a very nice guitar, especially for shred

Friend of mine has one, I could have sworn there's no single coil in the middle. But I don't argue against solid evidence.
Guess my brain isn't working properly today.
anybody got any opinions on the washburn X40 pro?

24 frets

schaller FR

SD pickups

http://machinehead.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/21_49/products_id/269

I'm goin to bed now cos i has to get up early 2mora.

keep the suggestions coming and I'll check this thread 2moro and bump it if I have any more questions.

Quote by element4433
way to keep the suggestions coming guys.

j/k

how does this compare to the RGA121 that's been previously suggested?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-rgt-42dxfx/66755

its basically mahogany and neckthru instead of basswood and bolt on.

anyone played this?

also, as it's cheap, I can put in the newer pickups sooner.

any other suggestions or opinions?

EDIT: also, is the s-630fm worth the extra £170

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71829

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Sep 20, 2007,