I thought learning to play the electric guitar would be an awesome hobby for me. I would be proud to say that I can rock . But I've never, ever played an instrument in my entire life (and I'm 21). I don't know how to read music or tabs, I don't know how to take care of an electric guitar if I got one- tune it, change strings, whatever else is needed. I also have no idea about what guitar to get or what amp to buy. My budget is $300... (i'm afraid to shell out more just in case i give up). I just feel overwhelemed, like there is such much for me to know.

What are some really good sites that address beginners questions about playing/setting up a guitar/what to buy/etc.?

Last edited by dog20 at Sep 19, 2007,
go to walmart and get a first act guitar/amp

they're like 100 bucks and if you don't like it, you didn't waste alot of money
however if you do end up enjoying yourself then you're gonna wanna buy a better guitar
Quote by bassboy 999
Cheers to you triple x maniac

Quote by snipelfritz
Wait, your dick is in a chick's ass, and you're complaining.

Its a sad, sad day.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/electric-guitar-value-packages?N=100001+306243

there's a site to look at some options for you... they come with a guitar and an amp... and in most cases, picks, strap, etc... and some even come with an instructional dvd

most of those should suit your needs... just look at the ratings and read reviews on the ones that intrest you...
Quote by triple_X_maniac
go to walmart and get a first act guitar/amp

they're like 100 bucks and if you don't like it, you didn't waste alot of money
however if you do end up enjoying yourself then you're gonna wanna buy a better guitar

oh no.... DON'T DO THAT WHATEVER YOU DO!!!!!!!!

Seriously you can get way better guitars for $300 or less....

Hmmm.... I would recommend the Schecter Omen-6. It has incredible action, no fret buzz , and is great for all styles of music. My best friend has it and I believe he got it for $200. But, thats just cuz we know the owners of the store But, yeah they go for $250-300 and then you could just get a cheap amp (I use a Epiphone 10S Series which came with my first guitar)

I personally started on an Epiphone Special II which wasn't bad, but isn't too great.

Also, if you get lucky and find an incredible deal like i did with my Epiphone G-400 Custom, that would be great for you. I got it for $180 and its MSRP is something lik $800 or something.
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
Chill, seriously, dont overthink it, dont spend much just get a cheapy guitar. Tabs easy notation is pretty easy take it one step at a time
Manchester United
Quote by a17
oh no.... DON'T DO THAT WHATEVER YOU DO!!!!!!!!

Seriously you can get way better guitars for $300 or less....

Hmmm.... I would recommend the Schecter Omen-6. It has incredible action, no fret buzz , and is great for all styles of music. My best friend has it and I believe he got it for $200. But, thats just cuz we know the owners of the store But, yeah they go for $250-300 and then you could just get a cheap amp (I use a Epiphone 10S Series which came with my first guitar)

I personally started on an Epiphone Special II which wasn't bad, but isn't too great.

Also, if you get lucky and find an incredible deal like i did with my Epiphone G-400 Custom, that would be great for you. I got it for $180 and its MSRP is something lik $800 or something.

yeah but if he turns out to not like playing he wasted even more money
Quote by bassboy 999
Cheers to you triple x maniac

Quote by snipelfritz
Wait, your dick is in a chick's ass, and you're complaining.

Its a sad, sad day.
Hi dog20,

You're not exactly a newbie. You've started 6 different threads in electric guitar on subjects similar to this one. It's probably not a good idea to use the New Members Q&A this way.

If you were a brand-newbie, the type of questions you asked would be just fine here. But you're not.

Instead of starting new threads, you should use the search function. Click on Search at the top of this page. Type in the keyword that you want, and set the other parameters you prefer however you want. In this case, you might want to select the forum to search to only be Guitar & Bass Basics.

Please don't be lazy. Other members don't mind being helpful, but use their time wisely. If you can get the information you need just by searching existing threads, that's the thing to do.

Feel free to come back to this forum when you need to, but not as an extra place to ask questions you've already asked elsewhere. Come back if you need advice on how to navigate UG, or where to put a thread if you're not sure where it belongs, ask about rules, that sort of thing. Those questions are always welcome here, even if you've used UG for years.

Cheers mate,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Dont go to wal-mart. you'll hate it. go to guitar center or sam ash and get one a hundred times better for around 150$. and take lessons...its worth it
I hate my sig