i'm having some trouble writing songs, so, how do you normally write your songs? do you just grab a guitar and start jamming until some good riff pops up and then write a song around the riff?? or do you have the song or riff in your head and then you play it on the guitar?? any other methods?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Well I sometimes come up with something in my head, but most of the time its just trying stuff out, changing the beat on a riff, adding one chord to the riff, etc. Thats how I write my songs. Not the most effective way of writing though but it works very well for me.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

My Gear :

-Peavey HP Signature EX
-Fender 100H(Head) + Fender FM412 (Cab)
-GBX Custom Bug
-Dunlop Wah Pedal GCB-95
-Marshall GV-2 Plus
-Boss CS-3
-Behringer Digital Reverb DR100
Pretty much what you said there...muck around on the guitar until you find a riff or lick that you like, and then work around that. I usually add words after all other instruments, or at least wait until the pre-liminary guitar part is finished. It's pre-liminary because it tends to change when you start adding words and other instruments
i usually write the rythem first than find a scale that fits and than play with that scale
i usually think about how i want it to sound and just go at it. alot of times i'll mess with it while i'm doing that to see if i can get something i like more out of it.
Think of a rhythm in you head and then go with it
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Regret is a waste of time, coulda, woulda shoulda. Don't bother with it, and so what if you didn't nail her. Hump one of her friends and you'll feel much better.
not very well
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
i usually find a chord progression i like and then mess around with rhythms. sometimes i keep the chords, or i record them, then fashion a riff over the top and drop them. if i want richer harmonies, or easier harmonies i stick with the chords, if i want to rock i keep the riffs