ive been looking on the internet but im really struggling with the terminology being used.

can anyone please tell me the 3 laws in simple terms?

thanks
I can't remember the first or third one but the second means that like "If you hit a ball with a bat, the force from the bat will be exchanged to the ball and as long as the ball stays in motion it will contain the same force". Hope this kinda helps.

I-I

I----------------I

TheOneAndOnlyIsaac

It means wear your damn seatbelt.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
1st law is that an object in motion stays in motion, basically if there was no gravity and no friction and i threw a ball it would never stop going until it hit something or was stopped by something

2nd law f = ma force = mass x acceleration

3srt law is for every action theres an equal and opposite reaction, so kind of like you shoot a gun and it kick backs
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
no.1 the sum of all forces acting on an object are directly proportional to its accelleration/change in movement.
no.2 the rate of change in momentum is directly proportional to the resultant force acting on the object.
no.3 every force has an opposite and equal reaction force.

tell me if you need it any more detailed/ simplified

edit: what he said ^
Quote by metaldud635
Has anyone ever caught their parents doing it?

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah, multiple times, and I usually joined in, still do in fact.

Quote by Vagabond21
Aaahh yes, the great state of Kentucky
First law;

A body will remain in uniform motion (constant velocity) or at rest (which is still at a constant velocity - of zero) as long as the forces acting upon the body are balanced.

If the forces are unbalanced, then the body will accelerate in the direction of the resultant force.

Second law;

F = ma

The force acting on a body is proportional to its rate of change of momentum.

Momentum = mass x velocity

Rate of change of momentum = mass x velocity / time

velocity / time = acceleration

And so

Force = mass x acceleration

Third law;

Each force on a body has an equal but opposite reaction force.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

1: Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

Pretty easy. If you throw a ball it won't stop until another force stops it. Be it drag (air-resistance) or another object.

2: The relationship between an object's mass m, its acceleration a, and the applied force F is F = ma. Acceleration and force are vectors (as indicated by their symbols being displayed in slant bold font); in this law the direction of the force vector is the same as the direction of the acceleration vector.

A force causes a change (acceleration) in velocity, not a whole new velocity.

3: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

You know this one don't you? I can't seem to find any examples to explain it.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
1st law. you do not talk about newtons 3 laws of motion
2nd law. you do not talk about newtons 3 laws of motion
3rd law. there is no third law
Quote by Survivalism
Your parents go ass-to-mouth and then kiss you.

The truth can be a horrific thing some times
"For every erection there is an equal and oposite ovulation."

Something like that if I remeber correctly.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
Its pretty staright forward:
1- a moving object will keep on moving unless something stops it. (that something could be any form of friction...like air friction)
2- the force on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the acelleration of the object....i.e. F = M*A
3- every action has an equal in magnitude and opposite in direction reaction. Say when u push down on a table with ur fist, the table does not collapse because it is pushing back at ur fist.

Its pretty damn easy to understand man....wikipedia has it in the simplest possible terms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_laws_of_motion
Quote by angelrange

I lol'ed
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Muphin

3: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

You know this one don't you? I can't seem to find any examples to explain it.

An object of mass 10kg is on the ground.

The earth pulls the object towards itself with a force of 98.1N.

The object exerts an equal but opposite force, meaning the object pulls the earth towards itself with an equal (98.1N) force, but in the opposite direction.

At the same time, the earth is applying a 98.1N normal contact force on the object and the object is exerting a 98.1N normal contact force on the earth. Same magnitude, opposite direction.

I'll just mention the 1st law as it's the one that nobody's really given an example for.

Think of a roller coaster. You'll always keep flying forward unless you hit a curve or loop. Hence, and object in motion will stay in motion until unbalanced by an outside force. The outside force is the rail the roller coaster is riding on. And Object at rest will also stay at rest until unbalanced by an outside force. At the beginning where you get on the roller coaster, you'll stay still until the control person hits the switch that starts the chains, which is the outside force.

Can't get much simpler than that.
Quote by angelrange

An person lolling will continue to lol.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Yeah, remember that the second is about RATE OF CHANGE OF MOMENTUM, and not, technically F=ma
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
Yeah, remember that the second is about RATE OF CHANGE OF MOMENTUM, and not, technically F=ma

Yeah, I noticed some intelligent looking guy said that.

can anyone please tell me the 3 laws in simple terms?

Carbon Monoxide Poisonous Gas Alarm?? Sounds about right to me..
Newton's 3 laws for Noobs:

Law 1: If something is moving, it'll keep moving until something stops it. If something is stationary, it'll stay stationary until something moves it.

Law 2: Force is propotional to the rate of change of momentum. It takes more force to stop a train traveling at 5mph than to stop a cat moving at 5mph because the train has a larger momentum (cuz of greater mass).
It takes more force to stop a bullet traveling at 400mph than to stop it when its traveling at 10mph but the bullet has more momentum at the greater speed (cuz of greater velocity).

Law 3: If you apply a force on something, it'll apply equal amount of force back on you.
Rockets work on this principle.
Now this law is not perfect as it doesn't take into account the coeffiecient of elasticity.
Though the original Newton's version of this law did take that into account.
Its maths the law is:

F1 = -e.F2

Where
F1 = force applied by object
F2 = force applied back by the object the force is applied on
e = coefficient of elasticity
and the "-" sign to show the force applied by the object (F2) is in the opposite direction of F1.
Force is a vector.

Only when the coefficient of elasticity between the two bodies is 1 (which is not exactly possible), the body will apply an equal amount of force back.
Basically punch a wall, you'll hurt your hand.
Punch a sponge, you wont hurt ****!
Wall has a coeffieicnt of elasticity close to 1. Sponge has a coefficient of elasticity close to 0.
Basically the longer to take to stop something, the less force you need to stop it (thats the principle on which airbags and seat belts work).
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Sep 20, 2007,