Howdy all, I just got a Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff with Top Boost, and while it is a good pedal, I don't really like the sound I get out of it. What I'm looking for is a distortion pedal with a good Coheed and Cambria tone, because I basically get my inspiration from them and on the days that I fail at thinking of something I play their music. I'm also using a Schecter Damien FR.
How is the Digitech Death Metal distortion? My cousin has a DOD Death Metal pedal and I love the sounds that thing makes. I am also ordering from Musician's Friend, so it would be helpful if you could find a pedal from there.
Thanks in advance!
Member of the vegetarian club

Arbor AF-100
Cheap Kona

Boss PH-2
Ibanez DC10
NYC Big Muff
Little Alligator
Peavey Rockmaster
TC G-Major
FCB1010
BBE 401 Maxie
Boss RC-20

70's Fender PA 100
dont get digitech anything... its crap and artificial sounding. Get an MT-2 and get one of the good mods on it (analong man, keeley, etc).
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
what amp do you have?
Chances are you need to change that
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Coheed (well Claudio at least) uses a Zakk Wylde OD, so if u have a tube amp, buy that. otherwise, most of his tone is crunchy, so anything that is a "tube" distortion might work. He also uses EMG's in all of his Explorers, so the Death Metal petal might work, but less scooped and a little smoother. And honestly, i can get a good tone like theirs from a DS-1, but u might want something more high-end than that. BTW, im a huge fan, if u cant tell.
what's your amp? thats gonna get you nearest if you have adecent amp. also, they're tone is a pretty generic metal tone. bass and treble high, hardly any mids, or it was last time i was playing Coheed. i believe claudio uses mesa rectifiers too, not sure about the other guy.

EDIT: the digitech death metal pedal is horrible, in all seriousness, you probably have the best metal pedal out there that isn't a rediculously high price for a pedal. you could try the damage control pedals or the mesa v-twin pedal, but neither are gonna be as good as an amp more suited to that style of music. the best thing to do would probably be keep trying with your pedal and buy an EQ pedal to really shape the sound, such as the MXR 10band.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Last edited by hairball at Sep 19, 2007,
Coheed and Cambria's OD tone has much less gain that you'd expect and they use Bogner Ubershall heads not Mesas if that helps
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^hes right. im pretty sure the line 6 ubermetal was based off their uberschall model. maybe that.
Quote by TehJermie
^hes right. im pretty sure the line 6 ubermetal was based off their uberschall model. maybe that.

The line6 Uber metal actually has 3 differently voiced distortion models on it and as far as I can tell none of them are Bogner-ish: there's a Marshall type classic Sabbath one; a more modern one, more like a 5150 and the last one which is most like a Deizel from what I can tell.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^the highest gain model was based off the uberschall sim from the pod. hence the name "uber" metal.
They only set their gain around 4 or 5 on the albums, but it's closer to 8 live. AND they use Bogner Uberschalls, some of the best amps on the market. Their tone will be hard to replicate, but try putting the treble around 2 or 3 o'clock, the mids around 10 o'clock, and the bass and "Dist" around noon. That oughta get you in the neighborhood.

Then you just need to get a Gibson Explorer with EMG 81/85s and a Bogner Uberschall. But your Schecter ought to be a good guitar for this.