Okay so recently i got a new amp and when i plugged my guitar onto it there is a light buzz.. but if I touch the strings, the buzz is loud and obnoxious..I noticed this on my old amp too.. I know its the guitar because the amp sounds perfectly clean when theres no guitar plugged into it. Im thinking it may be a problem with the output jack on the guitar..Anybody know what could be causing it or how I could fix it? I have read about putting contact cleaner on it. Would that be worth a shot? Thanks a lot UG

EDIT: If i put a finger or two on the metal output jack and then play the note or whatever the buzzing is much quieter..weird..
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
Last edited by friendoftheend at Sep 19, 2007,
i'm going to guess that a wire came off the input jack on the inside of your guitar. this is just my guess because that same thing was going on with my guitar and it turns out a wire broke off of the input jack.
Sometimes its the Ground wire that came off of something. And the Jack might be disconnected somehow.
Well, if you're sure that it isn't fret buzz and that you didn't set the action too low, then I'm also guessing its the output jack. My friend had the same problem.

Have you checked the wiring in the back? The soldering from the output jack came loose.

If you check, and notice that theres a loose wire coming from ground, then thats your problem. If that's the case, you just have to solder it to the opposite terminal on the same output jack. (I recommend you mess with it first; let that wire touch the output terminal, and play a note. If it doesn't buzz, then you can start soldering. If it still buzzs, then look at the other soldering done in the guitar).

If not, then its the amp.

What kind of guitar/amp are you using?

Edit: Yeah, I agree with everyone above me.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Quote by Superfly66421
i'm going to guess that a wire came off the input jack on the inside of your guitar. this is just my guess because that same thing was going on with my guitar and it turns out a wire broke off of the input jack.

Thats what i was thinking because the wires have come off before and I soldered them back on..but this time the guitar will still play, but there is just a loud buzz on the background..
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
Quote by SathiaSun
Well, if you're sure that it isn't fret buzz and that you didn't set the action too low, then I'm also guessing its the output jack. My friend had the same problem.

Have you checked the wiring in the back? The soldering from the output jack came loose.

If you check, and notice that theres a loose wire coming from ground, then thats your problem. If that's the case, you just have to solder it to the opposite terminal on the same output jack. (I recommend you mess with it first; let that wire touch the output terminal, and play a note. If it doesn't buzz, then you can start soldering. If it still buzzs, then look at the other soldering done in the guitar).

Not to sound like a n00b .. but which is the ground ?

My guitar is just a cheap " Jay Turser " brand guitar ... just standard strat style. The amp is a Fender FM65 DSP..
some times if you have gain theres a loud buzz, put it on clean and check if thers a buzz, if that snot it its prolly wires
Quote by friendoftheend
Thats what i was thinking because the wires have come off before and I soldered them back on..but this time the guitar will still play, but there is just a loud buzz on the background..

Yes, if the ground wire comes off, the guitar is still playable, but with a loud buzz sound. Check it and see if the ground wire came off.

The ground wire is, well. If you look at your output jack, the ground wire should be the one that is connected to one of the terminals and connects to the other one. so... if you look at your output jack from the inside, you should notice a few things. 1) You should see two stubby metal things that come out from it. These are called the terminals. One is called the Ground and the other is called the Sleeve.

Well, just take a look at it and tell me what you see.

Edit: The two metal things you put your finger on are the terminals. And yeah, looks like you have a loose ground wire.

Just try connecting the loose wire to the other metal pointy thing you touched, and play a note.
Quote by Lil Macker

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Last edited by SathiaSun at Sep 19, 2007,
Quote by SathiaSun
Yes, if the ground wire comes off, the guitar is still playable, but with a loud buzz sound. Check it and see if the ground wire came off.

The ground wire is, well. If you look at your output jack, the ground wire should be the one that is connected to one of the terminals and connects to the other one. so... if you look at your output jack from the inside, you should notice a few things. 1) You should see two stubby metal things that come out from it. These are called the terminals. One is called the Ground and the other is called the Sleeve.

Well, just take a look at it and tell me what you see.

Edit: The two metal things you put your finger on are the terminals. And yeah, looks like you have a loose ground wire.

Ok yeah i see what your saying.. I'm seeing the ground wire and inside it there is a wire that has insulation around it and one without insulation.. theyre both connected to the terminals but there are some little randon frays on the wire without insulation.... I may have just done a bad soldering job or something... Should i just take the wires off and solder them back onto the terminals?....Oh yeah and when i was talking about the touching the output jack and it makes it better.. I was just touching the silver cover part when the output jack is already screwed on the guitar.. hehe sorry If that's confusing
Last edited by friendoftheend at Sep 19, 2007,
Okay. There should be two wires then. One should go from the Sleeve terminal and connect to the volume pot I think.

Where does the other wire go?
Quote by Lil Macker

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Here i took a couple pictures. I dont know if they'll be any help..
Theyre kinda blurry and i didnt resize em...
Oh yeah and I'm not quite sure where they connect to. Im assuming the volume pot though..
Is there anyway you could make that image clearer? Mainly, focus on the output jack.
Quote by Lil Macker

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

The wiring on it looks kinda strange...... Maybe the two wires are touching each other. Nonetheless, experiment around with those. Let one touch the terminal of the other one and see what happens.
Quote by Lil Macker

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

it's probaly just grounding, try putting one of your feet on a screw on the amp, or if your jack has metal and not practice ends touch those with your feet and see if the buzz goes away.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Sorry it took me so long to reply on this one Okay so i made sure the two wires were connected to one of the terminals.. One question though... Were you saying that the ground has to connect to both terminals??
sorry, the pics are big and the posts are long here, but i wanted to show you this.

if one of thise wires was off then it gets put back on.

the black is the ground and should go to the center most lug.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
sorry, the pics are big and the posts are long here, but i wanted to show you this.

if one of thise wires was off then it gets put back on.

the black is the ground and should go to the center most lug.

Hey thanks JJ that picture is a big help .. I'll try re-wiring the output. I also have a suspicion that there might be a problem with the other side...That will probably have to wait till tomorrow though. I'll tell ya how it goes.. Thanks UG
the other side, the black wire might lead to a pool of other ground wires.

the hot wire, might go to a lug on one of the pots.

good luck and repost with questions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Okay so I resoldered the conections on the output jack and fixed some wires int the pots and now everything is sounding GREAT Thank you guys SO MUCH for all your help
im glad it worked out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

JJ, great picture. It basically explained every I tried to explain, except simpler and faster.

Glad it worked out for you man. Having that wire get disconnected is a really common problem.
Quote by Lil Macker

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president