Bit of history on the guitar:
Ever since I've been taking music at my current school (coming up on 4 years), there's been this beaten up looking case in one of the cupboard things... Near the end of last year, I opened it up to find a guitar that looks like it would be half decent if someone took care of it. I spent a while asking my teacher to sell it to me, but he kept saying that because it's the school's, he's not allowed. He ended up letting me take it home today to fix up (the school's going to pay for whatever I buy). What it needs is a new switch for coil splitting, a new 3-way switch, a new bridge, a paintjob, and if the school allows, pickups. Unfortunately, all i could get today was a miniswitch for the coil split...

Anyways, I know what you guys want...
pics!
in the case:

name carved in the top along with scratches:

chunk out of the side:
the back, not as bad as the rest of the guitar...

looks like a real professional repair job on the switch, huh?

rusted, crappy bridge:

new switch installed and working:

I'm going out now, but I'll post more stuff/info/whatever when I get home...
Looks it would have been hella sweet in its day. Lawl at the wingnut and flat-headed screw!
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
You should have asked if you could buy it from the school. Unless somebody offered to fix it up it obviously wasn't going to be used anymore.
I always got the Five-finger discount on things from my school, but im sure you can convince them to sell it.
So do you have anything interesting to play?
Quote by Shard Heilia
Holy crap at the rusty bridge. What make is it?

The headstock says "Vantage". No clue as to the model name, though...
Quote by eXperiment63
You should have asked if you could buy it from the school. Unless somebody offered to fix it up it obviously wasn't going to be used anymore.

Yeah, I did ask, but my teacher wouldn't let me because he (or anyone at the school, I guess), isn't allowed to sell school property. Once I'm finished fixing it up I'll go to the principal and ask himdirectly, rather than through my music teacher.
Quote by Eclectia
I always got the Five-finger discount on things from my school, but im sure you can convince them to sell it.

If it was something like a book or tuner that would be easy, but considering it's size, and the fact the teacher knows me and that I have it, that probably wouldn't work. Although I was thinking, what if it was to get 'stolen' from me on my way home or something? Even if they made me pay to replace it, in the condition it's in, it wouldn't cost me a whole lot... Hopefully they just let be buy it, though.

Anyways, my plan will be to sand it down and refinish it, then throw some good pickups in it, as well as the things I already mentioned (bridge, switch, maybe knobs), but I'm not sure if the school wants me to make it just playable, or if they want me to go all out on it. I'm hoping for the second option, especially if I can convince them to sell it to me.
lucky, theres a guitar at my school i want to take and fix up, i should start asking my teacher
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Man, I hope you get her a new lease on life. 8 of my 11 guitars are all no-name closet classics. I love how they're so obscure and stuff. I'm restoring them, slowly but surely. Good luck, man. Make me proud.
I've got some good news and bad news:
The good- I asked my teacher today about how much he/the school's willing to spend on it, and he said "do whatever you feel it could use, don't worry about the cost", so pretty much, he told me go all out on it.
The bad (well, not bad, but not something I'm happy about)- I kept asking if I could buy it and he really doesn't seem like he wants to let go of it. I'm pretty sure it actually belongs to the school, but it kind of seems like he wants it for himself... So I don't think I'll be able to end up getting it off him.

Thinking about not being able to keep it after putting lots of work into it kind of makes me think of finding a kitten in a box, then taking it home and naming it, then having to let it go.....

ANyways, it'll still be cool to fix it up...
Quote by james4
I've got some good news and bad news:
The good- I asked my teacher today about how much he/the school's willing to spend on it, and he said "do whatever you feel it could use, don't worry about the cost", so pretty much, he told me go all out on it.
The bad (well, not bad, but not something I'm happy about)- I kept asking if I could buy it and he really doesn't seem like he wants to let go of it. I'm pretty sure it actually belongs to the school, but it kind of seems like he wants it for himself... So I don't think I'll be able to end up getting it off him.

Thinking about not being able to keep it after putting lots of work into it kind of makes me think of finding a kitten in a box, then taking it home and naming it, then having to let it go.....

ANyways, it'll still be cool to fix it up...

or you could just fix it up and not take it back into school. if you stop bugging the teacher about it then he'll forget you've got it, he's got more important things to worry about than what your doing with something that doesn't belong to him and that he doesn't give a toss about
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I was thinking about doing that, because it seemed like he didn't care about it, but now he really seems sure he's never letting it go...
either way, even when I'm finished with it I'll hold on to it as long as I can until (or if)he starts asking about it.
wow, that thing is very, very good looking.can't wait to see what happens
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Update-
well, kinda....

Yesterday I ordered a bunch of parts from stewmac, but just got the order in like five minutes after 4 pm (if you order before 4, they'll ship it the day of the order, for those who didn't know), so it won't ship until monday. Not much of an update, I know, but whatever...
gold gotoh hardtail bridge, a 3-way switch, pickup mounting rings and screws, pre-slotted graphtech nut, new speed knobs, just about all the hardware and electronics needed for a guitar my friend's building in woodshop, and a few pickguard and pickup mounting screws I need to put back together another friend's guitar that she took apart.
The pots, output jack, and tuners look like they've been recently replaced and seem to be in decent condition, so I didn't get new ones.
Everything taken off the body now, and I did some sanding on it today until it started raining...
figured I might as well update with a pic

BTW, anyone know if these pickups are any good? I'm thinking about putting them in this guitar.
dude looks sweet so far, best of luck to you, but if i were you last day senoir year, take the ****er , but also i like the try to keep it as long as you can idea
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
you should paint it white leave the center natural and put p90's in
Thanks for the advice on pickups, I'll look into the '59's
however I think I've heard that the gold cover on the '59 doesn't look too great(or something like that, I'm not really sure when or from whom I heard it, or if they were even talking about this pickup) can anyone confirm or deny that? I'd rather know before I buy it.

I'm open to suggestions for any other pickups, as well.
^yeah, I don't even know where I heard it from, but once I looked at the page on guitarfetish it reminded me of reading that somwhere. If you find anything out, any info. is appreciated.
if u just stain it or clear coat that with new hardware and whatnot it will be a beautiful old girl
I am me. Live with it.
Id say put a bill lawrence usa pickups in the bridge. There $65 if I remember but they may be a little more metal than you want. I wish I could find a guitar like that at a garage sale somewhere for like $20(I know you didnt but some people get that lucky). The other day I saw a guy who didnt know anything about guitars selling a custom shop Gibson (yes a real one) with hard shell case for $125 but I looked back today and the listing was gone. Good luck.
I love the look of the guitar. Damn I'd love to pick one up to mess around with myself. Good luck to you with the rebuild. Hopefully you'll be able to keep the guitar after all is said and done.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
I just checked HC reviews and all the reviews seem to be positive. I really don't know why I thought I heard that somewhere...

I'll probably go with the fat PAF in the bridge and '59 neck.
Quote by james4
^yeah, the rest of the hardware is gold. And I wasn't looking to spend much on pickups, which is why I was looking at the GFS ones

Isn't the school paying for it? If so, go balls out.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead