Not sure if this goes here, but anyone have any tips on how to soundproof a room? Soundproof as in no sound gets out of the room, i don't care if sound gets in. Apparently egg cartons, blankets, and/or carpeting doesnt work in the slightest.
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA _D
_RAD IO HEA D
i have a special insulation in the walls of my room which are used for soundproofing, you could look for that, it works
It's impossible to be completely soundproof, you can get very close to it, but it requires lotsa moolah. And since your talking about egg cartons, I'm assuming you don't got the moolah. So for what you want, it's impossible.
Quote by kaplac
It's impossible to be completely soundproof, you can get very close to it, but it requires lotsa moolah. And since your talking about egg cartons, I'm assuming you don't got the moolah. So for what you want, it's impossible.

Well, you'd be surprised just how much putting carpet on the walls or standing a few mattresses up will dampen the sound. Egg cartons work well to disperse the sound and prevent funky feedback from occuring.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Ya the only suitable way to soundproof a room aside from building a room of materials specifically designed to be sound proof is to build essentially a room inside a room.
that foam padding they sell that looks like eggcartoon shape is pretty cheap, and sound proofs stuff pretty well. They had it for a server room at my collage campus. couldn't even hear the loud arse servers inside of the room, from just ouside of the door.
Well, I know there are very effective solutions to minimize the sounds coming out of the room. But The threadstarter asked for a completely soundproof room, assuming you'll be playing loudly, then it will be virtually impossible to be completely soundproof. Depending upon the location of the room you want to work with, the budget you have, and the amount of freedom you have to mutilate the room, it's not very plausible.

I'm assuming you want a completely soundproof room inside your house, becuase your parents keep on nagging you about it? Yeah, won't happen unless you literally build a room inside the room, as well as properly insulate it, bring proper electricity and ventilation in as well, as well as killing all frequency vibration that could travel through the base contacts. It's a lot harder then you think.

Now if your just looking for a way to reduce the amount of noise going out, then thick foam egg carton shaped pads will work well, as well as thick curtains, bass traps, and foam lining for windows and doors. But know that unless you cover every square inch of the perimeter of the room, and also soundproof the floor, sound will always find a way out.
carpets do actually work if set up right, just not incredibly, as they dont really cut the bass.
to completly soundproof a room youd need to create a vacuum around a room built within another.

try a few layers of carpet on your walls.
oh, and some bass traps.
I Love Oreos, And im English =D
Soundproofing is science all into itself. When I built my home theater, I found that it is a subject that was way deeper than I imagined. A poster above said "room within a room" and they are correct. Follow this link to the AV Science forum and you will see.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/search.php?searchid=6986683

Believe it or not, there is even glue that is rated soundproof for these applications. The glue is called "green glue" and it is used to hang drywall for a tight seal. Reflective points, material types, etc. all go into the equation.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Essentially, everyone's point is that unless you are loaded and willing to spend a lot building a new room, all you can do is dampen the sound. Normally, people use thick concrete walls and specialized doors and windows to keep the sound from escaping. The special foam wall coverings are to keep the sounds from reverberating like crazy. My parents ran a dental laboratory in our house for years, and we doubled the sheet rock in the room with all the grinders and lathes and it kept the sound in pretty well. The only problem was that the room echoed like a cave.