could someone explain how things work when plugging in a cab to a combo amp? the amp is 120w 2x12 combo with 4 ohms going to the external speaker jack. the cab is a 4x12 120w with 8 ohm impedance. will it screw anything up to plug them together? does the wattage split when i use them together? is there more power going to the speakers in the amp than there is going to the cab? sorry im a noob!
Ibanez S470 QSIbanez AES20EBKCrate XT120RCrate GX412XSDigitech RP50
Quote by blkbrd33
could someone explain how things work when plugging in a cab to a combo amp? the amp is 120w 2x12 combo with 4 ohms going to the external speaker jack. the cab is a 4x12 120w with 8 ohm impedance. will it screw anything up to plug them together? does the wattage split when i use them together? is there more power going to the speakers in the amp than there is going to the cab? sorry im a noob!

Wattage will be split between the speakers equally. Unless you use a 4 ohm cabinet, you won't be able to get the optimal volume out of the cabinet, but chances are it won't damage the amp. What amp is it?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
well, it won't work efficiently, and could, in the long run, damage the transistors/tubes, always best to impedance match
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by the_random_hero
What amp is it?

the amp is a crate xt120r. the cab is a crate gx-412xs. why wont i be able to get all the volume out of the cab?
Quote by blkbrd33
the amp is a crate xt120r. the cab is a crate gx-412xs. why wont i be able to get all the volume out of the cab?

The cabinet has twice the impedance that the output is rated for, which means you'll won't get the maximum volume out of it. As you have a SS amp, I can't see any reason why you could cause damage to the amp.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
is there any way to adapt the cab to the impedance i need? or do i just need to get a different cab?
Quote by mcw00t
well, it won't work efficiently, and could, in the long run, damage the transistors/tubes, always best to impedance match

Nah, a higher input impedance is aight. Plus, the amplifying components are fine- it's the transformers that you need to worry about.