i havent been very good with keeping up with my scale practice but i know i need to get back into it. my problem is that i either dont have enough time or if i do, i get bored out of my mind. basically what im wondering is how long do you normally need to make some decent progress speed and accuaracy wise? im wondering because i need to practice pentatonics and the modes and then i also like to do some sequences so that i dont only know just straight up and down scales. but for each scale you have different positions along the neck or "shapes".

so im wondering how long should i spend on each shape? would 5-10 mins be enough for each shape and then move on to the next scale? even then it would take quite a long time to complete everything. not too mention, what do i do about the different keys? do i just do a different key each day or something?

i really need to start knowing how to practice scales properly. im trying to get more into jazz and i need to be more fluid with my scales. i really dont have much more than two hours a day to practice either. i might be willing to add more time like an hour or so before bed though if i really need more time. so yea any help would be nice.
maybe start doing some improv and writing some solos insted of just doing scale excercises. actually put your scales to use.
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
I normally spend about 30 minutes playing scales. I take either the sharp or flat keys (i alternate daily). I start on C major regardless of which one, than go up the keys until I'm done. In total it's only 8 scales.
There is no advice we can give that will help in the way you want it because there are no hard and fast rules about this sort of thing; practice each shape until you know it and don't have to think about playing it, even if that takes 3 months with no sleep.

Also: don't just learn shapes; learn notes and intervals and learn scales all on one string, if you know your scales on one string and you know the shapes then moving around the fretboard becomes much easier.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
practice each shape until you know it and don't have to think about playing it, even if that takes 3 months with no sleep.

And it doesn't. I wouldn't suggest trying to memorize all your scales at one time. Take one at a time as you need to.
Quote by Spamwise
And it doesn't. I wouldn't suggest trying to memorize all your scales at one time. Take one at a time as you need to.

You seem to be missing the point, I'm trying to say you shouldn't move onto the next scale/shape until you know the one you're working on now and that you can't define it as "oh yeah, it takes X minutes to learn a scale".

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, I agree. Though after the first few scales imo it becomes a lot easier to memorize, as the patterns stay the same; although in a different order.
Quote by GD_GC
maybe start doing some improv and writing some solos insted of just doing scale excercises. actually put your scales to use.

what makes you think i dont? thats all ive been doing for the past three years. now im trying to be a little more fluid with the scales. im a blues/rock player so my pentatonic and blues scale is pretty down pat but im trying to get into jazz and like i said get more fluid. i know a lot of licks and runs and sequences for playing blues and rock and can play quick with those things but im interested in a different way of doing things. im only fast with my patterns and sequences but not so much with just scales.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
There is no advice we can give that will help in the way you want it because there are no hard and fast rules about this sort of thing; practice each shape until you know it and don't have to think about playing it, even if that takes 3 months with no sleep.

Also: don't just learn shapes; learn notes and intervals and learn scales all on one string, if you know your scales on one string and you know the shapes then moving around the fretboard becomes much easier.

well i dont really have a problem with moving around the fretboard. and i know the scales pretty well and how they are set up and i do use them. my problem is that im just not very good at going up and down scales. i can improvise fine and all that but i still want to be good at playing scales.

but i guess you're right about no set time for each. im mostly asking because there are so many positions and keys to practice in.
Hold it; wait ... there's scales other than minor pentatonic???

WTF didn't I get the memo???
freepatriot.com
"People never misapply their economy so much as when they make mean provision for the education of children. The only practicable method to reform mankind is to begin with children." -- Noah Webster
Quote by Spamwise
as the patterns stay the same; although in a different order.

Ummm...no? This thinking only applies if you work with the 7 diatonic modes, once you get beyond that it doesn't work anymore, scales like Lydian flat 7 and locrian #2 aren't the same shapes...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Ummm...no? This thinking only applies if you work with the 7 diatonic modes, once you get beyond that it doesn't work anymore, scales like Lydian flat 7 and locrian #2 aren't the same shapes...

I didn't mean the patterns, I meant the shapes, sorry. They're not in the same order from key to key, but they are there. I'm talking about major scales. Obviously minor scales have different shapes than major scales.
Quote by Spamwise
I didn't mean the patterns, I meant the shapes, sorry. They're not in the same order from key to key, but they are there. I'm talking about major scales. Obviously minor scales have different shapes than major scales.

I'm aware of the nature of scales shapes and intervals etc but you're still wrong; there are many more scales than just the standard 7 modes (being Ionian (major), Dorian (minor #6), phrygian (minor flat2), Lydian (major #4), Mixolydian (major flat7), Aeolian (Minor) and Locrian (phrygian flat5)) and the pentatonic.

You're completely ignoring the harmonic minor and its modes, the melodic minor and it's modes and all the more exotic scales that get used in foreign music a lot more.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I think we're talking about different subjects. I'm not talking about modes, I'm talking about different major scales. Like D major on fret 10 is the same shape as E major on fret 12. I realize there are tons of different scales. I was just saying that he shouldn't have to spend hours and hours memorizing every scale, because after a while you start to memorize the shapes and you can move them around from key to key easily.
OK, fair enough, I thought we were talking about scales in general.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Spamwise
I think we're talking about different subjects. I'm not talking about modes, I'm talking about different major scales. Like D major on fret 10 is the same shape as E major on fret 12. I realize there are tons of different scales. I was just saying that he shouldn't have to spend hours and hours memorizing every scale, because after a while you start to memorize the shapes and you can move them around from key to key easily.

well im aware of that. but the thing with guitar is that even though the shape is the same for each key, the frets get smaller as you go up the neck. so it feels different. when you arent very good at the different positions then you wont be that good playing them.