Whenever the 9/11 anniversary comes along, you always see people telling their tragic stories about the ones they lost.

Often times the story's can get really sad, and people will be crying and getting really emotional. When people watch this, often times they can get emotional.

As for me, hearing about that stuff does not get me down at all (I'm respectful, though). I'll walk away as if I never watched the News program/Oprah moment/etc. Hearing about people's pain over losing their loved ones (I notice this during 9/11 anniversarys) does not have any effect on me.

However, I was watching this story on the news. I poor man from a bad neighborhood was telling about how he met a homeless woman, fell in love with her and let her live with him. She died from being hit by a car. He was on the News crying about how he missed her, and how the crematory/funeral home wouldn't let him have her ashes (they wouldn't let anyone have them) for financial reasons.

I didn't cry, but that story got me somewhat choked up and really sad.

I don't know why 9/11 tragic storys don't sadden me, but the other one did. The only reason I can think of is because the other guy was very poor.

And also, my drivers ed teacher told me about one time where he accidentally ran over a stray kitten, and how bad he felt about it. That also got me really sad. But that one I can understand why I got sad because my family used to have a kitten that died.

But anyways, is anyone else like me on this? Many people who aren't related to the deaths of 9/11 or Pearl Harbor, etc. get really down by hearing storys about it. I barely have any depressing reaction at all .
thousands of people die...oh well

a kitten gets run over...oh noes!!!

it's probably because you hear about it all the time and you've just become desensitized
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Quote by RageAgainst...

it's probably because you hear about it all the time and you've just become desensitized
That's most likely correct.
Quote by RageAgainst...

it is true.. cuteness>ugliness in the human subconscious(sp?)

must be because of our natural instinct to like pretty things to mate with
Or maybe because you had an emotional connection to kittens.

It's ok, I don't care about 9/11 either, I think it's just because we are either not patriotic in any sense, do not care for those we do not know, or do not accept that it happened. We know it happened, but don't accept it. Understand?

I just don't care.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Or maybe because you had an emotional connection to kittens.

It's ok, I don't care about 9/11 either, I think it's just because we are either not patriotic in any sense, do not care for those we do not know, or do not accept that it happened. We know it happened, but don't accept it. Understand?

I just don't care.

maybe you dont care because if it was 3000 people in london who died americans generally wouldnt care? i did think about that one.
plus 69

i feel so non-sorry for the people of 9/11 but at the same time still respectful but when it comes to actual sad stories like that, i feel something
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
I don't get very upset over 9/11 either. That homeless woman and that poor guy did it though.
I've got a bike you can ride it if you like
you sound very much like Holden Caulfeild.
"it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then to cease
to exist than to exist forever
and never be part of beauty"
-Don Marquis

Quote by nebraskan
People who are racist are probably the most ignorant alive.

A serious sig? WHATTT?
a lot of people dont get sad anymore because so many people die every day. but family members of 9/11 victims, for some reason think that their loss is worse. not to mention that was 6 years ago. its time for them to move on.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by The Madcap

I don't know why 9/11 tragic storys don't sadden me, but the other one did. The only reason I can think of is because the other guy was very poor.

Maybe there's more to it than that. 9/11, Pearl Harbor, etc were massive events that had tragedy striking incredible numbers of people at the same time. You're shaken by the enormity of the event, but how much room for empathy for each the thousands of victims can you fit into one heart? You protect yourself automatically, by becoming detached.

When it's just one person, your heart opens to them. You allow yourself to understand their pain, because you can.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i'm like that too, i feel sorry for the ppl who lost their loved onces, but i'm not gonna start balling cuz you lost your husband, i have personal issues too, you're not the only one with deceased family members....you know wat i mean? and not to be rude or anything....but like big deal, you're saying your story on the news, making a few bucks....watever, get over it it was a long time ago
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
''One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic.''
-Joseph Stalin
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by km412
maybe you dont care because if it was 3000 people in london who died americans generally wouldnt care? i did think about that one.

I don't understand your point because I live in America...
High as tits
Quote by rickyy
-Joseph Stalin

Hit it right on
Quote by alecoholic
i thought it would be funny to crap in the top of my friends toilet and mid crap his mom walked in on me...

Founder of the UG Paintball Club
UG Paintball Club Group Page
Its just so repetitive. Its all the same stories over and over and over again.

It gets old. For a while it was really really sad, but now its just so common. Seeing or hearing a 9/11 treagedy story is like seeing one of those dumb lists on the UG home page. For a while they're OK, but if theres too many you begin to lose interest.
I used to think. oh thats boring I don't care. but I didn't even know how effected I was. My dad is a pilot that got laid off from US air. looking for a job, now making half of what he used to make. I'm living in a new ****ty town. in a ****ty small house.
One Percent
im actually sort of liek you. i was never emotional about 9/11, in fact i dont get emotional over most things like that. yet i sometimes get choked up just thinking about jason becker, and how tragic his story is. i have no idea why.
I'm totally with you on that one. And Rage described it best I guess. Maybe thats why.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
I only care if someone I like (this includes favorite bands/artists ) died... no matter how harsh that may seem
Nothing makes me really sad. I don' think I've ever truly experienced sadness. No one I know has ever died, seriously. 9/11 doesn't affect me, and neither do dead kittens. And I'm perfectly fine with it.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
Quote by km412

yeah..I' ve realized that when it comes to other countries, people usually don't care..well..it kinda depends on the coutries

For example..The earthquake in Peru that happened a while ago. Lots of people lost their houses, families, jobs, etc. Some towns where damaged up to 80%, and still i turn on CNN and other news channels, and they're talking about loads of less important issues, ignoring what happened. And even when they mention it (at least 45 mins later than in spain and other places) they just take 5 mins to explain and move on to the next story.

...I've seen it happen many times, including the last huricane that hit Nicaragua and other places and killed a lot of people..

I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen this happen many times...they just don't seem to care

../rant
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by km412
I disagree emphatically. When the Tsunami hit Indonesia in 2004, there was an outpouring of support from Americans. Vast amount of money was donated to charitable relief efforts.

America has plenty of problems of it own with out you lying about it.

"americans generally wouldnt care" is NOT a fact. If it's your opinion, please state it as such.

... and stop being so lazy. Try using some capitals and punctuation.

EDIT:

I'd like to also point out the fact that when New Orleans was under water, counties around the world sent money and volunteers to the US. We haven't forgotten that either. I for one, am grateful.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Sep 19, 2007,
I feel bad for the people who lost family members. I feel bad because it was a horrible attack on my country. But, its tiring to see the same old stories. I also hate the looseness of the term hero. Okay, the people who died are heroes. How so? the people on the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania(forget the number) those people are heroes. But those who crashed into the world trade center?
1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal:

Two definitions of hero from dictionary.com. Well, I now see that those people who died are heroes.
Maybe because it's easier to relate to the homeless guy losing the woman he loves and the only thing he is but with 9/11 it's more like a big, rare event. Probably not worded very well, pretty much the Stalin quote.
When one dies its a tragedy, when thousands die its a statistic.....

-Stalin

I agree with the first guy, it seems that the media has desensitised us to it.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by rickyy
-Joseph Stalin

Wow, thats a kick-ass quote.

But yeah, I feel like... I don't know. I feel sorry for everyone as a whole that suffered from 9/11... but I don't get stricken by one family's story.

This seems kind of mean, but I think part of it may also lie in the fact that so many people had to deal with the same tragedy in their family, that it doesn't seem like that big of a deal anymore.

I believe desensitized is a perfect word for that.
You probably have some way to relate to the other things.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
It's human nature to have skewed emotions like that. Even in the case of 9/11, we make a really big deal about it, but we don't care about the tens of thousands that died from starvation or AIDS the same day.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by rickyy
-Joseph Stalin

is it bad that i agree with stalin?

and i about lost it earlier this week reading the "so i just watched a puppy die" or whatever thread. maybe cuz i like puppies and kitties more than people?

especially that story of the kid whose kitten fell down the stairs and broke its neck. im choking up thinking about it now.......
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
people care about puppies more than people. the media knows this. thats y its a business. i only get sad if sum1 is telling me something in person, if something is on the media, im too distracted at the fact its on the media, no matter how sad it is.

on the 9/11 topic it doesn't get me sad it gets me mad cuz i bleive it was an inside job. the sad part for me is when i think about the manipulation. thats my opinion i dont wanna start a 9/11 argument
Urk. It's an important, complicated question, and I'll offer my first guess to the discussion.

I think that to a point, tragedies become emotionally meaningless to us, and we only really get bothered by things small enough for our finities to deal with. Remember we partly evolved in environments with maybe 100 people we wouldn't kill, tops.

9/11 is worse than a person's love being killed, but the hundreds more stories of people losing loved ones to similar degrees of tragedy can't make you feel a hundred times worse. It's not practically possible but maybe more importantly I doubt it's even anatomically, neurologically possible. Further, there are far greater tragedies than 9/11 regularly, and we don't deal with them on the same level, much less at some numerically equivalent level.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"