So I got my od808 today and Im not very impressed by it. I was told that if I hook it up with another distortion pedal that it would really enhance the sound. It really doesnt make much of a difference as far as I can tell now. Im thinking that maybe it has to do with the fact that Im running all of this through a mg100hdfx half stack, could that be the case? Im thinkin of maybe just returning it, what do you guys think?
Yeah, it won't do much for that amp. Get a tube amp.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Overdrive pedals are not meant for solid state amps. You need to upgrade your amp...or sell the pedal.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Well on my list for equipment next is a tube amp head. Was looking at the valveking, I read a lot of good reviews on the od808, so I was kinda figureing that it was because I had a solid state head.
Yeah an OD pedal on a SS amp will usually just make the sound muddy by overloading the input. With a tube amp it just pushes the preamp valves harder and gives you a nice boosted sound.

Your amp isn't even a good SS head, so keep the pedal and save up for a nice tube amp.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lightitup
Overdrive pedals are not meant for solid state amps. You need to upgrade your amp...or sell the pedal.

i dont know why people on here insist on spreading this assbackwards method of thinking. but ibanez actually engineered the ts-9 to work better with solid state amps.
Im figuring on just keepin the pedal. Ya the od808 does just make the sound real muddy, and creates a lot of feedback. In the next few months I am determined to sell my crappy mg100hdfx and get a tube amp head. Hopefully I can get a good deal on the mg at a pawn shop or maybe on ebay.cDo they sell well on ebay?
Quote by TehJermie
i dont know why people on here insist on spreading this assbackwards method of thinking. but ibanez actually engineered the ts-9 to work better with solid state amps.

Ha, sorry if I was misinformed, but wouldn't this just cause the amp to clip/sound like crap?

I am just basing this off of using my Bad Monkey with a SS roland cube, so I don't know...maybe TS-9 just adds gain without boosting it somehow?
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
^ well roland cubes are notoriously bad at accepting pedals. ive used overdrives through the vox equivalent(digital hybrid) as well as pure solid state amps and most of them accept pedals just as well as my tubes.
Quote by TehJermie

Yeah, but thats the TS-9 not the TS-808. The original Tube Screamers work better with valve amps because even Ibanez knows that they are better. The TS-9 was a redesign of the original made in a time where people are now using modelling amps and more SS amps so it only makes sense to build a pedal better suited for that kind of amp. But why do you think the TS-808's are still prized for being the best OD pedal?
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Yeah, but thats the TS-9 not the TS-808. The original Tube Screamers work better with valve amps because even Ibanez knows that they are better. The TS-9 was a redesign of the original made in a time where people are now using modelling amps and more SS amps so it only makes sense to build a pedal better suited for that kind of amp. But why do you think the TS-808's are still prized for being the best OD pedal?

TS-9 was actually made in the 80s when there was no digital modeling technology. ss werent as popular and rampant as they are now.
ask the edge why he favors a TS-9 when with his status as a player he could own a room full of 808s easily. i quite like an 808 style overdrive WITH my solid state amps
and i doubt every player on the planet prizes the 808 as the BEST od(i dont)
the lame generalizations and half-assed snobbery doesnt do it for me, sorry.
Quote by TehJermie
TS-9 was actually made in the 80s when there was no digital modeling technology. ss werent as popular and rampant as they are now.
ask the edge why he favors a TS-9 when with his status as a player he could own a room full of 808s easily. i quite like an 808 style overdrive WITH my solid state amps
and i doubt every player on the planet prizes the 808 as the BEST od(i dont)
the lame generalizations and half-assed snobbery doesnt do it for me, sorry.

I dont care what does it for you buddy. Im not here to help you get your jollies off. But seriously, The Edge? Are you kidding me? He's no where near a prized guitar player. In fact U2 is pretty much universally hated. And yes, they had the beginnings of modeling technology in the 80's. Sure it wasnt as good as it is now, but it was still there. And ss amps weren't big in the 80's? What? Alot of people used ss amps back then. It was a fairly new technology, so yeah.

Anyway, I dont care what you prize. Your one guy, and obviously the TS dont care about the friggin TS-9. He bought a clone of the TS-808. Your lame ass and half-assed attempt and sounding cool doesnt do it for anyone. Sorry.
^lolz. Jeremie's argument is making sense in a way but with weak support.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by LuthierofTexas
I dont care what does it for you buddy. Im not here to help you get your jollies off. But seriously, The Edge? Are you kidding me? He's no where near a prized guitar player. In fact U2 is pretty much universally hated. And yes, they had the beginnings of modeling technology in the 80's. Sure it wasnt as good as it is now, but it was still there. And ss amps weren't big in the 80's? What? Alot of people used ss amps back then. It was a fairly new technology, so yeah.

Anyway, I dont care what you prize. Your one guy, and obviously the TS dont care about the friggin TS-9. He bought a clone of the TS-808. Your lame ass and half-assed attempt and sounding cool doesnt do it for anyone. Sorry.

okay, ignoring your homosexuality.
the edge is a very well respected guitar player as U2 is a very popular band. if they were universally hated as you put it, they wouldn't have been around this long. and the beginnings of modeling technology in the 80s were very very limited. and dont twist my words, i said solid state amps werent as rampant(use a dictionary if you dont know what that means) as they are now. and you said it yourself, it was fairly new. and they were actually quite hated back then for being amusical.
and i never once insinuated you cared about my opinion, im simply telling you, not everyone thinks the Ts-808 is the best overdrive.
you need to take the male aggression and internet tough guy act down a notch and get laid if you can manage it.
Wow!! We're resorting to comments about sexuality now? That makes your whole "Im smarter then you" arguement go right out the window.

First no. They havent been around for so long because they are good. They have been around for so long cause they just wont go away. They put their names and faces on every type of charity event just to try and stay popular.

Second, you said that there was no modeling amp technology in the 80's and now your saying it was there but very limited? Dude, proof read before you post.

Third, I know what rampant means. Just because they werent everywhere doesnt mean that Ibanez wouldnt capitalize on a newer technology buy building a pedal that works better with the new technology and carries on the Tube Screamer name. Its called marketing.

Four, you said MY lame generalizations and half-assed snobbery doesnt do it for YOU. That insinuates that you think I should care what my words do for you.

And finally, bubba. This isnt male aggression. This is putting out your blatant flaws in arguement. So quit with your tough guy BS trying to tell me to go get laid. I use my dick much more then you do Im sure.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Wow!! We're resorting to comments about sexuality now? That makes your whole "Im smarter then you" arguement go right out the window.

First no. They havent been around for so long because they are good. They have been around for so long cause they just wont go away. They put their names and faces on every type of charity event just to try and stay popular.

Second, you said that there was no modeling amp technology in the 80's and now your saying it was there but very limited? Dude, proof read before you post.

Third, I know what rampant means. Just because they werent everywhere doesnt mean that Ibanez wouldnt capitalize on a newer technology buy building a pedal that works better with the new technology and carries on the Tube Screamer name. Its called marketing.

Four, you said MY lame generalizations and half-assed snobbery doesnt do it for YOU. That insinuates that you think I should care what my words do for you.

And finally, bubba. This isnt male aggression. This is putting out your blatant flaws in arguement. So quit with your tough guy BS trying to tell me to go get laid. I use my dick much more then you do Im sure.

first, i never said i was smarter than you. so you must just feel that way deep down inside. and you had your mind in the gutter "get your jollies off"
talking about proofreading, i said no DIGITAL modeling which does not account for things such as the analog SANSAMP.
second of all, this is no place to argue about musical taste. im no U2 fan either, but it seems like you have some chip on your shoulder.
and i see absolutely no point in your rambling about marketing and the definition of the word rampant. no strawmans please.
me saying your retarded generalizations and half-assed snobbery doesn't insinuate a thing. youre reading into this too much, what i said means just what i said. they dont do it for me, not that i necessarily give a **** if you care or not.
and you obviously have some male aggression/ego problems(tiny penis?)
and you can use your dick more than me all you want. i think its great that youre building your hand strength then maybe it will help you out with your guitar playing and you wont have that weird vendetta against the edge