[brought over from S&L, sorry for posting in the wrong place]

I tend to write a lot of bits and pieces of songs and just put down random lines and hooks and things that I think are catchy. Half of my writing is written to be taken as lighthearted and... I don't want to say satircal because that implies it's smart. But funny.

Like, I have a song called "Me>You" that is just trying to be rediculously over the top with arrogance and the like. And I have songs that make fun of cliches etc., whatever.

So my question is; what are everyone's feelings on silly/rediculous lyrics?
CALIBRATE THE VIRUS

lolwut?
Can be great if used in moderation, but I find artists who do ONLY "silly" songs and lyrics get old rather quickly unless they're really good...
I'd say half the things I write are "silly" and the other half are more serious. But out of both halves I only pick up a handfull of songs that I think are worthy of being real.
CALIBRATE THE VIRUS

lolwut?
I like nonsensical lyrics. Try Tumbling Down by Cockney Rebel (a lot of their stuff) and Dionysos' English songs.
I'm not a fan of silly/funny songs. However, it is nice when a writer can add a humorous line or two to song.
Quote by themarsvolta
I'm not a fan of silly/funny songs. However, it is nice when a writer can add a humorous line or two to song.

yeah i like that too just summit in a serious song to lighten the mood a little to give it a quirky edge
I think artists that use it in moderation, like Frank Zappa (Don't eat that yellow snow!), are great. Listen to Adam Sandler's "Food Innuendo Guy" for a good example.