I've recently come across some good money at work and I've finally got about 500 bucks to spend on some equippment for my bass. The gear I currently have is a medium sized Fender BAmp, a 4-string Dean Edge-1, a Korg chromatic tuner, and a Boss multi-effects bass pedal. I'm wondering what my next step should be? A couple effect pedals like an octave pedal or compressor? A pre-amp?
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
EDIT: new post entirely as I was too blunt.

1/ What is "medium sized" re: Amp?
2/ Yeah, still replace the Dean. You can get better in that price range.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
A new bass entirely huh? I figured maybe if I invested in a pre-amp or a compressor it would make up for the mediocre tone I get from my Dean, and cost me a little less.

Okay so what would you suggest for a bass around 300-400 dollors? (I want to use the rest for a compressor...I'm pretty sold on that)
Personally, I think compression can wait. I'd use the full $500 on a schecter bass, and preferrably a 5 string. That's just my opinion.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Schecter? Any particular model? And I'm kind of against 5 string because my band plays in Eb and I think the B string would go unused 90% of the time.
The low B is just nice to have though. If you want to vary your bass lines at all, it can be nice to go low, and punch your way through the mix as a result. If you can get $50 more, this would be my suggestion;

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Custom5-Bass?sku=513050

If you can't, you may have to go with one of these (WAY better than your dean, but not nearly as good as the custom)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Deluxe5-Bass?sku=513048

By the way, you can also detune the B string a half step to match the rest of the strings. It makes for some fun improv room.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Wow those are gorgeous....I really like the custom model alot. 50 bucks more isn't too much I guess....but now I gotta wait till next paycheck : (
schecter are nice, and the bass makes a huge difference, and wait for the compressor, also look at ESPs in that price range, i like the F254, but if you want a warmer sound go for the Viper series also the 254