ok so I decided to get me a guitar around christmas as a gift and yes I do pick my own gift haha but any ideas on what I should get..?
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
musicman.... . . . ? I was thinking of something like an SG maybe a G-400 deluxe
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Budget? Genres you like to play? Amp?

Get me those, and I can maybe help you out.
umm im thinking on budget somewhere between 500-800$ I already have two amps so im good on that and I like alot of rock but I dont have any interest in most of any of todays music playing wise because repeditive power chords bore me
Quote by SkyValley
but what amps do you have?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
$500-800?

You could try looking at used Gibsons, maybe a use SG Standard or an Explorer. Or a new Ibanez Prestige. A used Fender American Strat? Jack SL3 used?

There's a lot of options for that range, but i'd start there.
I think in threads like this people should start specifying if they wanta single coil or humbucker sound.

I think a used Fender American stratocaster is an excellent suggestion though, I would probably go with that.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
I have only had one guitar and its a ibanez GRX20 so I dont know that much on diffrent sounds I like mine but I heard a better one and I was dazed that is what made me look into the SG's and the amp's I have is a marshall G 10 mk.2 its small but got it for 20$ and then I have my gibson classic gold im also wanting to look into getting something for alot more distortion than what my gibson can give

EDIT- oh and im not a fan of the fenders
Quote by SkyValley
Schecter my friends. Check out there site for a model that look good to you. You won't regret it. I know I don't...
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
Quote by Mobius Man
Schecter my friends. Check out there site for a model that look good to you. You won't regret it. I know I don't...

what site..? musiciansfriend?
Quote by SkyValley
Quote by Mobius Man

The problem with schecter, you're kinda limited between either a C1 (without EMG's) or the Hellraisers which have EMGs.

Ibanez Prestige series on the other hand are a little more versatile, but do lack the EMGs if that's what you're going for.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Emg...?
Quote by SkyValley
Quote by punk_metal2007
Emg...?

EMG is a brand of pickups. They make very popular active pickups that you will probably want if you are playing anything heavy. I like their cleans, but some people would spit upon them.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by JWD192005
Get a Musicman... You won't be disappointed

I don't think whoevers buying the gift will be too impressed if he chooses a EB musicman...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
It all depends on what you want to spend. Like you I get myself something I want every Christmas. I put away a little dough each week into a Christmas Club and in Nov I have $2500.00 I won't spend all of it on a guitar I need to buy gifts for family and the GF. This year I plan on buying Minarik Inferno with a cracked mirror top for under $1000.00. As soon as I have the cash I will browse Ebay and all the guitar shops online for the best price. I got to try out exactly what I want at a show so I know I like it.
If your top price on your budget is $800.00 your off to a decent start. I never recomend guitars to people I believe buy what you like. I just recomend cruising the guitar shops try a little of everything and on an amp similar to yours. If you go in and test drive a guitar on a top of the line Marshall it's not going to sound the same on your Marshall practice amp when you get it home. I like to look at a lot of used guitars that already have been updated you can get great deals that way.

John