To me wanking means masturbating. But apparently it's some sort of guitar word to, what does it mean? I seem to get the impression it's like mindless shredding
Yes, it means mindless shreding. It's also known as wankery.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
How did a British word for masturbating get turned into a guitar word? I'm looking at you Pit.
not just our word. i promise. i knew it b4 i descended into here. and none of my r/l friends come here.
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
Quote by Sabu
How did a British word for masturbating get turned into a guitar word? I'm looking at you Pit.

because many UK musicians frown upon people playing their instruments to the Nth degree and will suck your c**k if you say you are musical.

Not that i like mindless shredding but i dont like mindless talent slaggers
umm, I think it just means messing around in general, so just jamming on the guitar basically. Sometimes here (USA) if a friend asks you what you're doing you could reply with "just jerkin off" or "jerkin around" or you could be "jerkin off in class" which just means messing around. I think that's the same case with wanking.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
It kinda means two things. It might mean the musical equivalent of masturbation, as in just playing for yourself, usually in a shred style. Or it could mean just screwing around.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
wanking on guitar is playing until the strings pop off and give your mom pink eye
Quote by BrianApocalypse
They're all covers, but "Think" was actually written by Urethra Franklin.

Founder of the Offical Henry Polfave Sucks club
Quote by PlayTheMetal
umm, I think it just means messing around in general, so just jamming on the guitar basically. Sometimes here (USA) if a friend asks you what you're doing you could reply with "just jerkin off" or "jerkin around" or you could be "jerkin off in class" which just means messing around. I think that's the same case with wanking.

If I told people I'd just been wanking off in class I'd get a bad reputation and probably a slap.
Well it sort of has similarities, running your hand up and down a long hard neck for long periods? Just me? No?
Quote by Godsmack_IV
because when you shred emotionlessly you are basically masturbating your guitar

Hey, theres emotion involved with both of those, smiles mean happiness, and happiness is an emotion right?
the only other use of wanker in the uk..is like calling someone an asshole or jerk off