Well, every time i ran steam/counter strike source my computer would get really fucked up and slow and i would have to restart it. i just ran hijackthis (not smart, i know) and it really didnt make that much of a difference. it actually made my computer a little slower. does anyone know anything i can run or do to fix both steam AND the problems hijackthis gave me?

thanks.
whats your computer specs?
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
As far as I know, hijackthis only tells you of potential threats and allows you to decide whether or not to eliminate them. If you know nothing of computers, I'd recommend not to delete anything until you consult some professionals, for example, in a tech support forum. Give them a log and I'm sure they'd be glad to help you.

The Pit is definitely not the best place to be posting this, considering all the stupid memes, do you really expect these people to be computer geniuses?
too difficult to find the info i want.. i'm guessing either your video card is dying. your running and old ****ty windows system. or your computer just can't handle the game
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by Archaon
As far as I know, hijackthis only tells you of potential threats and allows you to decide whether or not to eliminate them. If you know nothing of computers, I'd recommend not to delete anything until you consult some professionals, for example, in a tech support forum. Give them a log and I'm sure they'd be glad to help you.

The Pit is definitely not the best place to be posting this, considering all the stupid memes, do you really expect these people to be computer geniuses?

Yes.
You probably just have Trojans and Spyware on your computer. Run some AVG, Spyware Blaster, and Ad-Aware programs. If that doesn't work I don't know. Thats just the basics.
High as tits
it isnt viruses. im thinking i should just format my computer. its a 2006 pc, it isnt really old or anything but its always giving me problems.
Do this for us sweetheart:

Start >>> hover over My Computer >>> Right click and go to "Properties" >>> post here what your processor is, it's Ghz speed, and how much RAM you have.
High as tits
actually how much ram have u got and are you running xp?
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Do this for us sweetheart:

Start >>> hover over My Computer >>> Right click and go to "Properties" >>> post here what your processor is, it's Ghz speed, and how much RAM you have.

im a guy..

and

AMD Athlon 64 Processor

2.41 GHz

960 MB of ram.

edit: yes, its xp
alright.. ram and xp is all good.. lol.. i got 2Gb ram and my xp is giving me **** loads of problems for it trying to fix it all up so my system runs more stable..lol
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by cyclobs
alright.. ram and xp is all good.. lol.. i got 2Gb ram and my xp is giving me **** loads of problems for it trying to fix it all up so my system runs more stable..lol

how are you fixing it up?
I know you're a guy, I am trying to establish dominance

Anyways, your procesor is extremely slow. I have 3.2 Ghz on a HP a475c with a Pentium 4.

Core 2 duo is now the dominator.

Also, 960 mb of ram is ALMOST one gig.

If you want your PC to perform faster, get another gig of ram, or at least another 512 MB.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick

Anyways, your procesor is extremely slow. I have 3.2 Ghz on a HP a475c with a Pentium 4.

If you want your PC to perform faster, get another gig of ram, or at least another 512 MB.

how expensive is ram?
Quote by Suicidal_Brick

nah dont get anymore ram.. 1Gb is good for xp. 1G or 1.5G. from experience dont get 2Gb reason is because xp can only handle 2Gb of ram and it's very unstable and it actually runs slower and works your processor harder then it should be.
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by evan1234567
how are you fixing it up?

stop it from paging
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by cyclobs
nah dont get anymore ram.. 1Gb is good for xp. 1G or 1.5G. from experience dont get 2Gb reason is because xp can only handle 2Gb of ram and it's very unstable and it actually runs slower and works your processor harder then it should be.

i see. well can you guys reccomend anything to do?
can you find out your video card for me. might be able to explain the slowness on games.
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by john_bosma
Before you go invest in RAM, what is wrong with CS?

everytime i run it. my computer freezes and i have to retart it. right now im more worried about what hijackthis did though..
Quote by cyclobs
can you find out your video card for me. might be able to explain the slowness on games.

i know i have an nvidia. but idk where to get info on it.
Quote by evan1234567
how expensive is ram?

About 150-175 bucks for a gig.

get another half gig, don't listen to the guy up there.

I have 1.5 gigs, and the performance is noticeably faster from when I had 1 gig.

De fragment your computer if you know how as well.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
About 150-175 bucks for a gig.

get another half gig, don't listen to the guy up there.

I have 1.5 gigs, and the performance is noticeably faster from when I had 1 gig.

De fragment your computer if you know how as well.

yea, i know how.

i think im gonna run a system restore. will that undo what hjackthis did?
right click on my computer then click on "manage" then in the tab find "device manager" then expan "display adapters"
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Go to Nvidia.com and update the latest drives for your card.

i did like..2 days ago.
when you ran hijackthis, did you delete the potential threats that it showed? you have to be careful with that program because if you start blindly deleting files, you can do some serious harm
Quote by john_bosma
when you ran hijackthis, did you delete the potential threats that it showed? you have to be careful with that program because if you start blindly deleting files, you can do some serious harm

yeahm i just deleted everything. and i was aware you couldnt blindly delete things, i just really wanted css to work.
ooooh... this might be a little more than the pit can handle. i suggest going to the forums on a site like bleepingcomputer.com they helped me with my problems.
Quote by Suicidal_Brick

His processor is actually pretty good. 2.4ghz Athlon is prolly the 4000+. Athlons ran at a slower clockspeed than Intel at the time, but were the equivalent of the name(3ghz p4, athlon 3000). Also, for games, the athlons were better.
I.E. Athlon 3000+ @ 1.8 > 3ghz p4 for games.

You could get more ram and your pc would be faster, but I believe the real problem is your video card. It's probably a lower end nvidia that either borrows ram or has little memory on it's own.

What type of pc did you buy?Brand & model? If we knew those, maybe we could find more info on our own.
Quote by codynw42
i am stupid enuff to do it becuz i just did. i feel nothing, there is no high and im not dizzy or anything... its just nasty.

Ryu Hayabusa of the UG Society of Ninjas
hp pavilion. a1510n. ^

and the system restore fixed my hijackthis problem. now i need to get css working.