There are a couple of licks I come across from time to time, where I have to bend a string up an entire tone. As an example I'll say I have to bend the B string up an entire tone from the 15th fret so it sounds like I'm on the 17th fret. I can bend up a semitone just fine.... but I'm afraid that if I go farther to get that entire tone, then my string'll break lol. By the time I reach a semitone the B string will be bended so far that it reaches under where the G string is. Is this normal? Do I have to bend even farther to get an entire tone? Or are my strings.. getting dull?
Gear:
- G&L Tribute Series Legacy Guitar
- Behringer V-tone GM108 15-watt amp
you'd be surprised how much abuse lthin strings can take. (maybe it's just cause i'm on an acoustic with standard .12s lol)

When i bend a note full step it go under the G string aswell if it's a b string bend.
Last edited by Linkk at Sep 19, 2007,
on my acoustic all i can do is a 1/2 step bend... if you have an electric you may want to bring it in to get the bridge adjusted or something, that usually helps
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
Quote by ScruffMcGruff
There are a couple of licks I come across from time to time, where I have to bend a string up an entire tone. As an example I'll say I have to bend the B string up an entire tone from the 15th fret so it sounds like I'm on the 17th fret. I can bend up a semitone just fine.... but I'm afraid that if I go farther to get that entire tone, then my string'll break lol. By the time I reach a semitone the B string will be bended so far that it reaches under where the G string is. Is this normal? Do I have to bend even farther to get an entire tone? Or are my strings.. getting dull?

Making 15 sound like 17 is just a regular full bend. It's completely safe, your strings won't snap and kill you. Move the G string up as well...ha...
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
I'll give it a try.... (puts on goggles) lol.

EDIT: Wow, it didn't snap, i'm amazed, thanks for, well assuring me, I just wanted to know If I didn't have crappy strings or something.
Gear:
How thin can strings get? Does it go lower than .08?
Gear:
Quote by ScruffMcGruff

dunno, if it does i wanna try it though
Quote by ScruffMcGruff

theyd have to be custom made for lower then .8 i think
I often bend up one and a half steps.

Don't be timid. Get really into your bends and vibrato and make them more expressive.
It's weird beacuse I can bend two whole steps no problem but I tuned my high E string upto an F# for a song and it snapped in no time. But generally speaking two whole step (4 fret)bends have never broken a string for me.
Two steps (4 frets) is no problem, I've even done a full 4th (A up to D or C up to F) but not often...I play .009 and did it on .010 for a long time. I bend up 3 and 4 frets constantly.

Strings can take a lot of abuse, they'll hold up to me beating the crap out of them for 4 hours onstage, they'll hold up to Eddie Van Halen, notoriously rough on equipment, Angus Young, equally abusive, you might be surprised what strings will take. I can get a full step out of my acoustic, but only on the two high (plain) strings and I don't try it often, it's not easy...The strings will take it unless they're really dead.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
i've never broken a string and i bend the b string full tone so it should be alright
I should imagine you can bend the strings as far as a floyd rose would

using 8's for sure
I use gauge .009 and never broke a string on bending. Don't worry, the steel is considered a very good resistance/elastic relation in comparison with others metal.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I can do three step bends on my high e. Get used to full tone bends, you'll do them a lot.

Remember, strings are made of steel, they aren't that fragile.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.