Hello, I have just recently become interested in playing the guitar, due to the fact that my friend always plays his electric guitar and it seems pretty sweet if I could learn so I'm looking for a nice non-expensive electric guitar that can play just about anything(Rock, Punk, Alernative). I have been scoping around on the net at the many types of guitars there are and I can not tell any difference between them, I'm pretty clueless on guitars. I have found a cheap guitar that I really like and its not expensive and has gotten decent reviews, although I don't quite understand them all. I love the explorer look so I found this Dean Z-X and wondered how good it really and if it has the adversity to play a variety of things. Any information to help my judgement on this guitar would be awesome. Thanks for the help in advance.
The advesity? You mean diversity
I wouldn't ask people here though tbh.
Most of of them don't realize that most people don't want to spend over $300 when they don't know if they're gonna like it or not.
I would get some sort of cheap starter pack to see if your really interested or not.
whats the main difference between the Dean Z-X and the Ibanez RG120? They both cost $200.
Aside from the different body shape obviously, the RG has a tremolo arm (aka whammy bar, you probably wouldn't use it much when learning, it will make re-stringing the guitar more of a hassle, and also since that'll be a cheaper one, it'll probably take your guitar out of tune more often), past that I can't imagine there will be much difference to you, at this sort of price level all the things like the pickups and tuners and whatever won't ever be of great quality.

If the X-Plorer style is what you like, I'd say go for that, it looks pretty solid and at this kind of price range, there's not going to be anything which will be *amazing* and a must-buy. Something like the RG might be slightly easier to handle (I hear X-Plorer style guitars can be a bit of a pain in the arse to cope with due to their shape), but ultimately it won't offer any big advantages, and anything with a tremolo should be kept well away from for beginners.
I think mostly anyhtign around that price range won't have top quality woods or elctronics, so you mgiht as well buy something that looks sweet. haha. I like that dean in black a lot. But you really should invest some money into a decent amp as well.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
Well when learning to play guitar do I need a good amp? My friend is going to let me have his old amp, im waiting on a good amp for possible my birthday or Christmas, wouldnt a lesser quality amp work for now while I learn the basics?
Last edited by TruSkill at Sep 19, 2007,
Well when learning to play guitar do I need a good amp? My friend is going to let me have his old amp, im waiting on a good amp for possible my birthday or Christmas, wouldnt a lesser quality amp work for now as I learn?

Yeah it should be fine for now. When you do buy an amp though, make sure it's going to be worth the money. Theres a lot of "beginner" amps that are completely terrible. An amp has way more effect on your sound then the guitar.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
Well then how about the Agile I suggested and this amp:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065

That's not within your budget, but you're not going to find anything really worth playing for $200. Also, I wouldn't get that Explorer shaped Rondo guitar, the Agiles are the only ones worth looking at.

Also, have you thought about buying an acoustic? Most people start on one, and I think it's a good idea because it's much simpler, and you don't have to pay for an amp. There's a sticky in the Acoustic and Classical forum, acoustics under $300, check it out.
The thing about what you play, is almost anything works. If I was in your shoes, I'd get a VJ and a SSS strat. But, you should probably get the agile LP and the Valvetronix.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRX20-Electric-Guitar?sku=519417

thats the same one I have and its cheap and I like it alot im getting a new one but its great to see if you actually want to play and it sounds pretty good considering it price and it will leave you enough money to get a decent amp and prolly a set up for the ibanez
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Quote by TruSkill
How good would this guitar be?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Stratocaster-SSS-Electric-Guitar?full_sku=512572%2e215
And would it be able to play rock, alternative, and punk?
Just get the Normal Squier Strat, and mabye upgrade it later.

Valve Jr FTW
Quote by TruSkill
Whats the difference between the two?

Don't get the standard, get the Affinity series, they have decent wood.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by TruSkill

The squier, it is more versatile. But, it is made with Indian Red Cedar, and I don't know how that sounds. I'd rather go with an Affinity and save myself some money if I was you.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123