I know this sounds, for lack of better words, dumb, but I have all these amazing ideas and songs in my head and I can't really get them onto my guitar- well not all of them.
some of them I have trouble with, with the chord progressions and stuff.

Is there a place I can just look at all the chords and what chords go together?
I know theres a bunch on this site but I want something... simple. I haven't taken music theory yet so I don't really understand all of the things in the lessons. I know alot of chords that go together but I don't like using the basic chords I'm more interested in chords that are higher up on the neck and have weird fingerings and everything. I'd rather play a E on the 9 fret (if im correct) then open.
I just want to be asble to put chord progressions into full songs

I know that the chords are based on the scales and modes but I'm going to work around that and solo with different scales and modes- based on the chords

I have one song and I belive the intro is with the chords (B, D, E and C#M- not completely sure though) and its driving me crazy because I can't find anything worthy to work with the intro and I don't wnat to get rid of the intro- its so beautiful

I love alot of John Frusciante chord progressions- they're crazy, how does he do it, lol
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Last edited by TDKshorty at Sep 19, 2007,
Try the musican talk forum.

It takes a long time for you to be able to play what you think, but it's when you develop that skill that makes music great.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
take the time and learn theory. it's boring at first, but if you get a good teacher, it'll be exciting to figure out how all this stuff works. you learn it once and it'll benefit your playing for the rest of your life.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
I know some theory; I finally started taking lessons in June. I just don't know all of the chord progressions- well I know the regular ones but thats boring- I want exciting music.

like the chords progressions in Wet Sand, Desecration Smile (SA) and Midnight (BTW)
i love those and I'm going to check them out but I want to be able to write

those chords I were talking about for my song were (from left to right)
x2444x
x4665x
x7999x
x9987x
Last edited by TDKshorty at Sep 19, 2007,
x2444x - B Major
x4665x - C# Minor
x7999x - E Major
x9987x - B Major second inversion or B/F#

it's in B mixolydian, secondarily C# minor/aeolian or E ionian/major.
gear?

Quote by DougC84
x2444x - B Major
x4665x - C# Minor
x7999x - E Major
x9987x - B Major second inversion or B/F#

it's in B mixolydian, secondarily C# minor/aeolian or E ionian/major.

thanks man

what chords could i use for it? ill use my own originality but could you give me an idea? or a start or something- thois has been driving me crazy for a month!!
Quote by TDKshorty
thanks man

what chords could i use for it? ill use my own originality but could you give me an idea? or a start or something- thois has been driving me crazy for a month!!

i just gave you the chords and the modes to play over them.
gear?

Quote by DougC84
i just gave you the chords and the modes to play over them.

lol
well where should i go from here though? when i end on the B major of B/F#
wherever you want. repeat it. start a new progression. extend the progression. you have every option in E major available to you. E, F#m, G#m, A, B, C#m, D#half diminished, E. i can't tell you how to write music - no one can do that. figure out what sounds good to you and make it happen.
gear?

Quote by DougC84
wherever you want. repeat it. start a new progression. extend the progression. you have every option in E major available to you. E, F#m, G#m, A, B, C#m, D#half diminished, E. i can't tell you how to write music - no one can do that. figure out what sounds good to you and make it happen.

i just don't know how to make those chords lol, like I could play them up at the top of the neck but not in the middle- how to find them and stuff and Im using the all-guitar-chords.com thing and its crazy lol
You should probably wait and learn more theory from a teacher, because it would be frustrating trying to help you write what you hear in your head over the internet....
Quote by Kulvin
You should probably wait and learn more theory from a teacher, because it would be frustrating trying to help you write what you hear in your head over the internet....

probably- i don't want it to seem like i don't know any theory because I do and once I get the songs out of my head- they're amazing, but this one has just been stuck on me forever and I'm going crazy, lol.

if I could find a chord to put right after that B# B/F then I would be able to finish the song haha
pick up a cheap chord book. someone i respect said one time that if you learned a new chord every second, it would take you 22,000 years (yes, YEARS) to learn every intricate, different pattern, so don't take it on like you want to learn everything - it's not possible.

anyway, the meat of this is to learn chords you like out of a chord book, out of tunes you learn, and make your own, which needs a much deeper, deeper understanding of theory. if you want to dive into chord theory, check out ted green's chord chemistry. it's a fantastic book about building chords, and has quite a few of them listed out. and it's not that expensive either - like 10 or 12 bucks.
gear?

Quote by DougC84
pick up a cheap chord book. someone i respect said one time that if you learned a new chord every second, it would take you 22,000 years (yes, YEARS) to learn every intricate, different pattern, so don't take it on like you want to learn everything - it's not possible.

anyway, the meat of this is to learn chords you like out of a chord book, out of tunes you learn, and make your own, which needs a much deeper, deeper understanding of theory. if you want to dive into chord theory, check out ted green's chord chemistry. it's a fantastic book about building chords, and has quite a few of them listed out. and it's not that expensive either - like 10 or 12 bucks.

thanks man
i kind of got that song going- i add an E and G#M and contemplating a F#M so thanks bro