Well, I tried the classical fingerstyle, but I could never get around to having decent finger coordination. So I look back to Mark Knopfler (who was my inspiration for going fingerstyle in the first place), and it seems he uses a different technique entirely. Clawhammer or something, though it's his own take on it.

Basically, I can't find much info in terms of how clawhammer actually works. Maybe I could get some help on this from you guys?
I think the idea is that you basically use your fingers as picks... different from traditional fingerpicking in that you pick up and down with your fingers. I'm probably wrong though. I just play his style with traditional fingerpickin.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender HM Strat
Mesa/Boogie 1987 Mark III
Peavey Classic Chorus 130
Boss GT-8
Robert Keeley TS9DX Flexi-4X2
You would get around to having decent finger coordination if you practiced it enough. Also, I wouldn't pick like Knopfler. He anchors his pinky and ring on the guitar, meaning that he can't use those fingers, and also creates tons of tension. You'll never be able to pick a complex classical piece if you play like that.
I don't know that Knopfler's style is really clawhammer? It hasn't looked that way to me, but I could be wrong.

Basically, I use thumb index and middle for Knopfler style playing. He gets decent speed that way, but it would probably be a good idea to be able to use your ring finger as well.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
You would get around to having decent finger coordination if you practiced it enough. Also, I wouldn't pick like Knopfler. He anchors his pinky and ring on the guitar, meaning that he can't use those fingers, and also creates tons of tension. You'll never be able to pick a complex classical piece if you play like that.

Oh, I'm actualy not all that interested in playing classical music. I just figured I'd try the classical (flamenco, maybe?) style of fingerpicking to see how it would work for me. I've found I haven't liked it much, but I still want to use my fingers for the sake of being different. That's why I'm curious about Knopfler.
i thought knopfler used only his thumb and first finger, but i could be wrong.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid