Where would be a good place to start Learning black metal?
I've been playing for about 6 months, but I play alot, I belive i've got the basic skills required to learn It down, I can sweep, Do pinch harmonics to an extent I learn pretty fast, and I play alot of scales
i looked up the aeolian, dorian and lorian scales but I couldn't find any that looked reliable

I just want to know your guy's opinions on where I should be starting, Theory Even if it will help

Links to Scales I need to know would be really nice

Some bands that motivate me are,(not all Black metal)
Slayer , Death, Black dahlia murder, Buckethead, Burzum, Children of bodom, Dimmu borgir, Immortal...Emperor..
Cancer.
i dont think one can "Learn" black metal but you have some good bands listed there. just be yourself and youll find the true black metal guitarist in you. mad gay advice. it might work tho
lmao thanks for the tip, It could work
but it seems when i jam i just go off the major pentatonic scale and everything just sounds like blues.
But then again i'm only 6 months in..
Cancer.
just learn death metal songs that you like... so you see how they are made/played

right now, personally, i'm tackling crystal mountain by death and i've been playing for around the same number of months as you... you should check that song out
youve only been playing 6 months and you sweep?

man, i feel behind now... a little over a year, and i can sorta sweep ove 4 strings kinda quickly...
pay me the same amount and ill give you better head than an amp ever could.

Quote by mdawg24
My bad, headbanger had it.
I suck

Quote by faultyy
(sp) means to use super powers
hahah yeah I stuck to sweeping 3 strings for a long time just kinda played it slow for hours on end then i picked up the pace, moved to four strings and now i can just go to 6 strings, I wouldn't say i'm SUPER fast but i'm not slow at it
but once you get sweeps.
you got em.
lol
And i'll try crystal mountain
Cancer.
Learn some Darkthrone and some Burzum. Sweep picking isn't found in black metal, black metal is minimalist. Trem pick, lots.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Start practicing in Drop C a lot. That tuning is favored by a lot of black metal bands.
Quote by HellRaiser620
Start practicing in Drop C a lot. That tuning is favored by a lot of black metal bands.

No, that tuning is favored by a lot of "modern death metal" bands. Black Metal is very often in standard tuning.
Yeah, Emperor is mostly in standard. But, you can't be black metal dude, unless you think you are truly satanic. If you are just learning some tabs, that's cool:
http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/e/emperor/inno_a_satana_ver2_tab.htm
http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/e/emperor/curse_you_all_men_power_tab.htm
http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/mayhem/freezing_moon_tab.htm

Learned the first one in like an hour, and it is one of my favorites songs to play ever. Otherwise, any Darkthrone would be a good start or Behemoth has some great riffs from the new CD or even before that.

BTW, the Mayhem is pretty easy, just for fun.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by HellRaiser620

ahahahahahahano.

Most black metal bands use standard tuning.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Quote by CarbonDeath
Yeah, Emperor is mostly in standard. But, you can't be black metal dude, unless you think you are truly satanic. If you are just learning some tabs, that's cool:
http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/e/emperor/inno_a_satana_ver2_tab.htm
http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/e/emperor/curse_you_all_men_power_tab.htm
http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/mayhem/freezing_moon_tab.htm

Learned the first one in like an hour, and it is one of my favorites songs to play ever. Otherwise, any Darkthrone would be a good start or Behemoth has some great riffs from the new CD or even before that.

BTW, the Mayhem is pretty easy, just for fun.

Uhh you don't need to be satanic to be black metal.
look at varg.
He's not a satanist but he burned down a bunch of churches and killed his friend
He's pagan...and he made burzum
I dont think Dimmu Borgir are satanists
but thanks for the tabs
Cancer.
My band plays black metal, though we're only jamming just now and haven't any live shows lined up or anything. We started out playing through the Scattered Ashes tab book put together by Ihsahn from Emperor beginning with simple songs like I Am the Black Wizards, Inno a Satana and working up to the more complex crossover stuff like Curse You All Men (best black metal guitar riff ever btw). We also played some Immortal stuff like Blashyrkh (Mighty Ravendark) and Tyrants as well as a couple of Mayhem songs. If you do that you'll get a good idea of how BM songs are structured and lots of ideas for writing your own material.

I suppose the main thing to remember about BM is that it's quite minimalist, lots of single note riffs and fairly basic chord progressions but that usually it's really tight and played at very high speeds. Stamina and accuracy are everything really. Sweeping isn't exactly necessary (I suck hard at it) but it is useful for some of the high speed arpeggios in Emperor material. In the case of Emperor it's about a lot of guitar harmonies that sound so good when you play them. You don't always notice this on the early albums because of shoddy production

Edit: that Inno a Satana tab is awful. Check out the ver2 Guitar Pro one, I wrote it
"It's not a beard, it's an animal I've trained to sit very still" - Bill Bailey
Last edited by Jodimu at Sep 20, 2007,
Don't have guitar pro sorry dude
otherwise I really would,
thanks for the help though it's appreciated, and i dont plan to stick to JUST black metal I like heavy metal like megadeth and ironmaiden, and death metal like death...and COBHC
and other stuff like that so i'll expand but thanks alot for reccomending some tabs and stuff
appreciate it
Cancer.
1. You can't learn to be black metal. You have to think as one and have that anger inside (which is great if you can use it )

2. True black metal is satanic, so if you aren't satanic, then you WILL NEVER BE a true black metaller. Black metal is satanic by definition, so no other chances (sorry if his sounds a bit agressive, but I'm this way when speaking about this topic. I'll always defend black metal as it should be)

3. Most black metal bands play in standard tuning, or maybe Eb, but that's pretty much it. Most riffs may be simple, but you have to be fast and accurate with your picking hand, and also you'll need a lot of endurance!!!

And those things are useful not only for BM, but for most extreme metal styles. I recommend Emperor, Dark Funeral and 1349 as some of the best.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Get Guitar Pro 5, and get the tabs of black metal songs you like and learn those.
WTLTL 2011
Just stick to Drop-B and Drop-C, you can still play standard songs, you just have to change tunings in a program

theres plenty of Black Metal bands that aren't Satanic, its about 60% that are
but death metal sounds better anyway, theres plenty of death metal and black metal CHRISTIAN bands also, its the same sound, same voices, just different lyrics thats all, bands like Thousand Times Repent and 7horns 7eyes, etc.................. just learn some easy bands like

Annotations of an Autopsy
Through the Eyes of the Dead
.....list goes on...........

hardest part will be for you to get the perfect Death metal or black metal sound that your looking for, which you'll get it then after a while keep fiddleing with if as you are never satisifed fully so get used to that your mind plays tricks on you even though it sounds the same as it did at first