i need very high quality delay and chorus. im on a fairly tight budget, but i need very good quality, warm sounding, and flexible. chorus needs to be able to be very subtle, and delay needs to have tap tempo. ill be playing live with this. i am a tone freak, and i play humbucker equipped guitars into an ampeg reverberocket for clean, and a thd univalve for distortion. im trying to figure if i should get pedals, or a rack unit, which would suit my needs best....any advice is very appreciated.
I say you get pedals...it's much cheaper and you don't really need the rack units unless you're a pro and recording high quality demos and stuff. Trust me, when you're playing loud at a gig you really can't tell the difference because of all the noise.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
i'd check out tc electronics stuff. they are very good quality and while not cheap possibly you might find it second hand
Ibanez RG 170 > Crybaby 535QC > Boss Blues Driver > Marshall Supervibe > Boss Giga Delay > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Upgrade: THD hotplate, Fender American Deluxe Tele, Maton EM100C, Seymour Duncan SFX-01
TC Electronic G-Major=$300-$400 depending on the used market and how good your haggle is. That would be your best bet for the money on a rack unit. As far as stomps go, you're going to spend more money. If you're a "tone freak", then you're going to have to spend more money. For delay, there's the Boss DD series, TC Electronic Nova Delay and the new Eventide Timefactor. For chorus, the Small Clone has a rather huge following, but also look into the TC Electronics Stereo Chorus+Pitch Modulator & Flanger pedal (it's been in Eric Johnson's rig for years). Also, I haven't had a chance to try one out, but I would expect a lot from the Eventide ModFactor pedal as well. Unless you can find some of these used, I would say you needed to have a budget somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 - $600 depending on what two pedals you choose.
i'd go for TCE stuff too. their stereo chorus and flanger's a really nice sounding chorus which can do exactly what you want, subtle, very well. the nova delay is also a really great sounding delay with 9 presets and tap tempo, modulations and different delay styles with many more features. another great delay would be the eventide time factor.

and OT, how's that univalve? i'm thinking of getting one soon or a ceriatone 18 watt marshall clone and i wanna know how the univalve sounds.
price range is $300 to $500 total. ive been thinking pedals, due to the price, and the fact, that all i need is the chorus, and delay, not the tons of other effects that would come with a rack. ive thought about the chorus pedals from Voodo Labs, or Mxr. Anybody have an opinion on those?
Last edited by thesixthbeatle at Sep 20, 2007,
Quote by suckasucks
i'd go for TCE stuff too. their stereo chorus and flanger's a really nice sounding chorus which can do exactly what you want, subtle, very well. the nova delay is also a really great sounding delay with 9 presets and tap tempo, modulations and different delay styles with many more features. another great delay would be the eventide time factor.

and OT, how's that univalve? i'm thinking of getting one soon or a ceriatone 18 watt marshall clone and i wanna know how the univalve sounds.

how is the TCE stuff, for playing live, though? and would i need to invest in some sort of midi foot pedal to control it? the Univalve is great!! can get wide variety of tones, and for 15 watts. the thing can get really loud too!
If you get a rack unit, yes you will need a MIDI controller to perform switching. The TC Electronics and Eventide pedals pack the firepower of the rack units in stomp boxes though, just without all of the other extra effects. I'm a pedal guy (or floor based multi) person myself because there are times where I'm heading out the door to jam and all I want to take is my amp. For those times, I typically yank the delay and overdrive pedals from my board to take with me. For the last 5 months or so, the delay pedal is always on and is just sitting on top of the amp. The only thing I've been keeping on the floor are my overdrive and wah, although that's about to change again (building new pedals and a new pedalboard).