im building a hot rod styled guitar out of an old ibanez i got about 2 years ago

shaved pickup and knobs
frenched output jack
recessed neck & bridge
hotrod electronics
primer paintjob (and possible pinstriping)

so tell me what you think

the first day i got it from the pawn shop

bridge milled 1/8" down to lay flush

neck milled 5/16" down to lay 1/16" from flush

fenched in output jack

hot rod wiring (pickup wired directly to output jack)

shaved volume and tone knob and lowered and smoothed over humbucker pickup

strings close to the body

Last edited by trips at Sep 19, 2007,
looks shweet. what pickups are in it? you have a full picture?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
the pick-em-ups are stock cheepo ibanez and their covered with epoxy to give the bondo something solid to stick to and its smoothed down with bondo i realy like the sound it not only picks up the string vibs but it also picks up through the bodys resosnance giving it kind of a steel guitar sound
Primer? No clearcoat? This will become totally ratty soon. Like Joe Strummer's Tele. Do some stripey thing like you mentioned above and it'll be mighty sweet.
With the strings that low, wouldn't it barely resonate at all?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Frenching the output jack is a good idea but wouldn't pulling on the cord instead of the actual metal part ruin the cable?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Hate to ruin your day, but electromagnetic pickups can't pick up body resonance. And what was the point of lowering the strings to the body? It looks awkward.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by XibanezedgeX
Nice! Very innovative.
One question:
If you have the pickups going right to the output jack then what is this "shaved volume and tone knobs"?
Best way to describe this mod would be low profile.

nah shaved it a hot rod term meaning removed and covered to look as if its was never there
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
With the strings that low, wouldn't it barely resonate at all?

i cant see why not but it does and it sounds like it does to me
Quote by Vanquish
Frenching the output jack is a good idea but wouldn't pulling on the cord instead of the actual metal part ruin the cable?

yea but it looks cool huh? lol
Quote by tubab0y
Hate to ruin your day, but electromagnetic pickups can't pick up body resonance. And what was the point of lowering the strings to the body? It looks awkward.

it takes alot more than that to ruin my day but the strings are lower because the neck and bridge is lower i wanted the strings lower so that the pickup isnt 3/4" from the strings and i find it plays just fine like that
I can't understand where the pickups are. If they are where the filler is on the pics then wouldn't they be too far from the strings. Looks amazing though and I saw that it works!
Quote by supergerbil
I can't understand where the pickups are. If they are where the filler is on the pics then wouldn't they be too far from the strings. Looks amazing though and I saw that it works!

They are... And you'll notice that he's lowered both the neck and bridge, so the strings are close enough to the pickups still.
wow... Youve inspired me to recess the neck and bridge of my build... Not as far but still pretty low. Also I see flat black primer and pinstriping (my brothe can pinstripe and I already was gonna have him do it) and maybe the frenched output.

Thanks for the Idea.
^If he'd only scuff-sanded the original finish, then the primer would wear down very quick and there'd be some awesome blue peaking through in various places.

But yeah, it looks kinda anonymous. That's why I say- Go for the pinstriping brushes as quickly as possible.
you should call it the low-rider, paint it on it or somethin
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
that looks really cool dude, i would have added more, but to each his own i guess
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
I like this alot! very classy and very stylin! Almost a sleeper, you'd never see it coming!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
dude you're really sweaty
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial