I'm working on a song that's in a harmonic minor key, and I got down to thinking, maybe too much, but what kind of chords do you use for a progression? The same with just the #7? Any help/advice is appreciated.
The only chords that would sound really dissonant with it as opposed to the regular Minor scale are dominant chords. Don't worry about it, is my advice.
all-guitar-chords.com

go to the scales to chords sections and u'll be fine.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Natural minor: i iidim III iv v VI VII
Harmonic minor: i iidim III+ iv V VI viidim

As you can see, the main differences are the III vs. III+, the V vs. v, and the viidim vs. VII.
In general, I'd say III, V, and viidim are the most common of those choices, but feel free (in fact, I'd encourage it) to experiment.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
Natural minor: i iidim III iv v VI VII
Harmonic minor: i iidim III+ iv V VI viidim

As you can see, the main differences are the III vs. III+, the V vs. v, and the viidim vs. VII.
In general, I'd say III, V, and viidim are the most common of those choices, but feel free (in fact, I'd encourage it) to experiment.

The ''II+'' is for augmented right? In this chord the 7th note can be heard so both intervals are major 3rds.
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

=>40 Watt RMS Yorkville Traynor YCV-40 valve amplifier

=>30 Watt Tech 21 NYC - Trademark 30 solid amplifier

=>Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby pedal
You have to change just one note - for example in normal C key you have chords:

C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bm/5-

and if you are going to do it in harmonic minor, play E instead of Em:

C, Dm, E, F, G, Am, Bm/5-
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
Thanks but, I'm getting conflicting info. Thanks for the site by the way evening. Anyways who's right, on one hand It's said I play major thirds but the other, switch major third to minor. ???
Quote by HopeLeaves_35
Thanks but, I'm getting conflicting info. Thanks for the site by the way evening. Anyways who's right, on one hand It's said I play major thirds but the other, switch major third to minor. ???

Do you know what chords to play when you are in Natural Minor?
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

^
i7, iidim, IIImaj7, iv7, v7, VImaj7, VII7

The same as the major progression, but starting on the sixth degress.

I phail
|
\/
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Sep 21, 2007,
Quote by demonofthenight
^
i7, iidim, IIImaj7, iv7, v7, VImaj7, VII7

The same as the major progression, but starting on the sixth degress.

Actually I was asking the threadstarter...