my school jsut got a new bass amp ampeg something or other Ba115 i think its called

but i have the eq settings to

bass 2.5 o'clock

mid 3 o'clock

trebel 12 o'clock

with the style set to 5 i get a really rumbleing sound

my guitar teacher comes up and sais no thats the speaker flapping back and fourth distorting it

i say its the tone i want not any distortion

now he has been playing guitar for like 30 yrs and has a masters in composition so he has a couple up on me

but he keeps coming back and puttign the Eq to flat all the way i hate it
now after my little rant on this cenial old man
ive forgotten the main point of my thread

but yea
i think i jsut wanted your guy's opinion on things

P.S
im the only real bass player in the school so im the only one to ever use that amp seriously

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I usually have the bass and treb slightly boosted with upper mids cut and lower mids slightly boosted. That's the way I like it...but get an EQ pedal, and you could hook that up with it so that he doesn't notice (have fun trying to make it unobvious), but yeah, it's a 15" speaker from what you said, so it's unlikely to be very much distortion, it's just able to handle lots and lots of bass. Not sure if any of this is relevant, but I tried. :P
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
what the hell is your question?!!!

but anyways

my rule of thumb is as these go
( i change alot through out a set/jamming)

treble- a fuller, crunchy sound
mids- gritty, in your face sound
bass- boomy sound

so what ever your style you need mix to your desire!

For jazz or light rock i usually use

treb-6
mid- 4
bass- 8
MM Stingray-MM Sterling-Austin Intruder-De-fretted Slammer-GK 115SBX-GK 1001RB-II-Fender Rumble 100-RB 5 Piece Prumkit-Burswood Acoustic-Squire Strat

Quote by Forcemaster
Dude, your hair owns.
Have a pie.

www.myspace.com/thedeathbynumbers
Depends what bass you're playing on and what you're playing. Classical stuff you'll want to keep everything flatish with the bass boosted slightly. Jazz, flatish with a little bass and some treble for bite. Rock, god knows, everything goes.
If you're using a nice bass you usually want to keep the EQ pretty flat. If you're not using a nice bass then you can tweak a little more. But I agree with fitz when he says: Never cranked beyond two o' clock, never cut below ten o' clock. God, I must seem like a fitz fanboy lately.
i wish my school had an ampeg or something similar that they kept locked up for only good players to use, unlike the old vandelised behringers and such
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Depends what bass you're playing on and what you're playing. Classical stuff you'll want to keep everything flatish with the bass boosted slightly. Jazz, flatish with a little bass and some treble for bite. Rock, god knows, everything goes.
If you're using a nice bass you usually want to keep the EQ pretty flat. If you're not using a nice bass then you can tweak a little more. But I agree with fitz when he says: Never cranked beyond two o' clock, never cut below ten o' clock. God, I must seem like a fitz fanboy lately.

Don't be lulled by the boomy rumble. You want every note to be heard when your playing with a band. If you crank it to the point the speaker is indeed distorting, it's not going to be effective in a band. Low-end is for bassists as distortion is for guitarists - playing with a lot by yourself is fun, but in a band setting, all you'll hear is mush.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
You can only find your sound if you play around. Yeah... thats rap for you.
Nevermind that, just adjust those knobs until you become a lunatic. Then you will have your sound.
The jazz student
Quote by thefitz

Don't be lulled by the boomy rumble. You want every note to be heard when your playing with a band. If you crank it to the point the speaker is indeed distorting, it's not going to be effective in a band. Low-end is for bassists as distortion is for guitarists - playing with a lot by yourself is fun, but in a band setting, all you'll hear is mush.

the thing is like previously said its a 15" speaker and the volume was on like 4 i heard nothing but tone i like i heard no distortion...... my music teacher, however musically knolageable he may be, is crazy....and he keeps saying how he used to play really loud and it ****ed up his hearding i tihnk that has something to do with it, but he wont have it.

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

lucky youre band director is smart (unlike bine) and bought a BASS amp for you to play on mine bought one keyboard amp for bass(w/ 15 inch speaker) and one with 12 inch speaker for keyboard. it sounds AMAZEING on keyboard and for Aux input music (plugged in CD player or Ipod) but for bass ... just no. he did however buy the 200W active subwoofer w/ built in adjustable crossover that is FREEKING SWEET when i plug in my regular bass amp to it OMG it's awesome.

the keybaord amp sounds nice if i use an XLR cable D.I output on my amp to it tho not the best but pretty cool. combined with the sub and my amp i can get a live sound that isent half bad sounds like a concert
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Narcotics
my school jsut got a new bass amp ampeg something or other Ba115 i think its called

but i have the eq settings to

bass 2.5 o'clock

mid 3 o'clock

trebel 12 o'clock

with the style set to 5 i get a really rumbleing sound

my guitar teacher comes up and sais no thats the speaker flapping back and fourth distorting it

i say its the tone i want not any distortion

now he has been playing guitar for like 30 yrs and has a masters in composition so he has a couple up on me

but he keeps coming back and puttign the Eq to flat all the way i hate it
now after my little rant on this cenial old man
ive forgotten the main point of my thread

but yea
i think i jsut wanted your guy's opinion on things

P.S
im the only real bass player in the school so im the only one to ever use that amp seriously

i have the same problem(exatly the same)
but my teacher has no master in composition so most of the time i tell him to just leave me play at my way(he dont really knows about rock music)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Emergancy Exit
lucky youre band director is smart (unlike bine) and bought a BASS amp for you to play on mine bought one keyboard amp for bass(w/ 15 inch speaker) and one with 12 inch speaker for keyboard. it sounds AMAZEING on keyboard and for Aux input music (plugged in CD player or Ipod) but for bass ... just no. he did however buy the 200W active subwoofer w/ built in adjustable crossover that is FREEKING SWEET when i plug in my regular bass amp to it OMG it's awesome.

the keybaord amp sounds nice if i use an XLR cable D.I output on my amp to it tho not the best but pretty cool. combined with the sub and my amp i can get a live sound that isent half bad sounds like a concert

I can identify with that. My school had a Marlin Slammer and a late 70's HH 100w tranny keyboard amp. Shocking. Just bloody shocking. Luckily our teachers were good about it, and my acquisition of a Ricky copy, and the borrowing of an MXR Sensitiser and my mate's home brewed bass OD soon sorted that.

Aim for a warm, tight, punchy tone with strong mids, and surely your teacher can't complain about that. After all, how else are you supposed to learn but by experimenting?
Quote by creepingjesus73
I can identify with that. My school had a Marlin Slammer and a late 70's HH 100w tranny keyboard amp. Shocking. Just bloody shocking. Luckily our teachers were good about it, and my acquisition of a Ricky copy, and the borrowing of an MXR Sensitiser and my mate's home brewed bass OD soon sorted that.

Aim for a warm, tight, punchy tone with strong mids, and surely your teacher can't complain about that. After all, how else are you supposed to learn but by experimenting?

where did you get a rick copy there like super tight about no copies

It's a (Ibanez)Columbus 4003 copy CJ's got. He bought it in Sound Control in Glasgow years ago...
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!