I've recently bought a Epiphone LP Standard Plus, but I've used a crappy $20 amp all my life. I now want to upgrade. Any suggestions? Thanks
Price range. What do you play? Will you be gigging, or strictly in the bedroom? Apartment or house? Mean neighbors?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Get a cube or a valvtronix...good all around, solid state so you dont have to deal with tubes and changing them and so on, very versatile and you can use them for both bedrooms and gigs (if you get the right one )
it is but its a hybrid with a pre tube...no biasing needed long lasting...damn near solid state
^ uh, the tube is "conventionally" used as a pre amp tube, but its placed in the power section of the vox.
wow...learn something new everyday...though its only one tube isnt it? still not all that much tube know how to deal with...

dont be picky...its annoying...do you have any amp suggestions or you just came in to bug about the vox?

edit: its still a preamp tube, simply in the power section:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SVE12AX7
This Russian-made 12AX7 preamp tube is brought to you by New Sensor, the company responsible for Sovtek. The 12AX7 tube type (also known as ECC83 in Europe) is so popular that you can find at least 1 in practically every current production tube guitar amplifier. Svetlana offers a wide selection of tubes for both hi-end audio and guitar amplification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12AX7
The 12AX7 is a high-gain, low plate current triode. As such it is best suited for low-level audio amplification. In this role it is widely used for the input and mid-level stages of audio amplifiers. With its high Miller capacitance, it is not suitable for radio-frequency use.
Last edited by cloud_x_13 at Sep 20, 2007,
^any tube can be used for any application. the lower power rating simply means it saturates more quickly. which is a GOOD thing. and i agree on the vox being a great choice.
Quote by CORT noob
Price range. What do you play? Will you be gigging, or strictly in the bedroom? Apartment or house? Mean neighbors?

I play a lot of creamy rock/blues, like Cream and Albert King, but i aint no gigger, i'm staying in the house, neighboors arent an issue. Price Range, probably wouldn't go above $350, but whether or not this is too low is another problem.
Quote by baylewis
I play a lot of creamy rock/blues, like Cream and Albert King, but i aint no gigger, i'm staying in the house, neighboors arent an issue. Price Range, probably wouldn't go above $350, but whether or not this is too low is another problem.

I'll throw out my Favorite, The Epiphone Valve Jr. Then, I'll throw out the Fender Champ 600. In about 3 seconds, some one is going to run in here and recomend the Crate V8, but I don't like it that much. May be your cup of tea, so go try it anyways. Those are probably the 3 biggest contenders. Some one will come recommend a Laney VC15, and the Fender Blues Jr., but I don't think you need 15 watts. Still worth trying those though.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

thanks man, i'll try all three, hopefully. Its good to see actual helpful people around, a lot of them are just jerks, who wouldn't help a newbie to amping
Quote by baylewis
thanks man, i'll try all three, hopefully. Its good to see actual helpful people around, a lot of them are just jerks, who wouldn't help a newbie to amping

No problem! I live to serve!
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

hey man, i had a look for the Epiphone Valve Jr and the Fender Champ 600 at me local guitar shop, however they do have a Fender Frontman 25R or something, wat do ya think