Page 1 of 2
That sucks. Well, free speech was arbitrary thing since the beginning anyway. Anyone who spoke against the government's view got silenced.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
You have the right to freedom of speech as long as you don't say the wrong thing.
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
It's true freedom of speech is abitrary, but I don't see the government leaning towards 1984 styled things. Well at any rate, when you name people who you're going to kill, then it's more than simple freedom of speech, it's a death threat. TBH no sympathy, they're not protesting to anything, just advocating immorality.

Edit: oh and the n word is bad enough with black people using it...
Who reads sigs anyway
Last edited by strong_wizard at Sep 20, 2007,
Stevens then went on to insult the town's police chief and an overweight police lieutenant before rapping that it was okay if he was "labeled a cop killer because he would destroy the town like a ****** Godzilla." Both young men are white.

lol, those wiggers get worse every day
Stupid charges. It's a.... 'song'.

I find this the most humourous part:

"labeled a cop killer because he would destroy the town like a nigga Godzilla." Both young men are white.
Quote by Rocker_69
You have the right to freedom of speech as long as you don't say the wrong thing.

Exactly. You got it.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Burningritual
rip death metal

...What?
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
hahaha only in america xD
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
I hate how so many American children don't understand what free speech is.

Free speech doesn't give you the right to spread hate or threaten people.

It's unusual, but I couldn't care less. It's not like they were going to invent a cure for cancer.
^Yeah, I just kinda think a rap on youtube is different from a terrorist threat.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
This is ridiculous. They deserve punishment for this: it was well over the line. They were talking about murdering and raping actual people. Imagine how the police officers must have felt after hearing themselves targetted in this. If I post a letter through someone's door telling them I'm going to rape them and kill the entire town, the police are going to arrest me, yeah? This is no different.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by whalepudding
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view_article.php?article_id=89641

So much for free speech. "It's better to be safe than to have another Columbine on your hands." - I could be wrong, but if I was going to shoot up a school, the last thing I would want to do would be rap about it.

You know, if some rappers were seriously to start rapping about going around on high schools shooting people or killing cops or whatever, you'd soon see a large amount of gangsta kids thinking that's awesome. Because of our mass media society, free speech nowadays is like communism in the 70s. Only works if everyone uses their common sense and plays fair.
I'm a communist. Really.
Number 3:
You have the right to free speech, as long as youre not dumb enough to actually try it.
Know Your Rights.
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
Quote by dazzler16
NWA Said FCUK THE POLICE.

'Fuck tha Police' was much more so just a song of revolt than a real threat to police officers, like they were going to start harming cops 'n whatnot. The song does show violence towards certain Police antics, yes you're right, but I still say that song is an entirely different situation than the other one being conversed about in this thread.
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
'Fuck tha Police' was much more so just a song of revolt than a real threat to police officers, like they were going to start harming cops 'n whatnot. The song does show violence towards certain Police antics, yes you're right, but I still say that song is an entirely different situation than the other one being conversed about in this thread.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
these idiots deserved the consequences they got. To be honest, i don't care if they are found innocent or found guilty and sentenced to 25 years in prison, people like this to not provide anything important to society. And as Rankles said, anyone who is going to defend these two idiots with the "freedom of speech" argument clearly does not understand what freedom of speech encompasses or means
Quote by Burningritual
rip death metal

What the **** does that have to do with anything?
he shouldn't have talked about a scene of that kind of realism when talking about killing people, hell, rappers do it all the time, but they don't go into so much detail as to get in trouble, no names are mentioned, no talk of destroying cities (although they do mention cities) they just took it over the line with the graphic imagery it sets into peoples minds, plus with all the stuff going on in the world today, it's kind of hard not to take that seriously. and please don't hesitate to correct me if im wrong in this.
Guns don't kill people.

Rappers do.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by whalepudding
^Yes it is. It's a goddamn song.

No, it's the same thing. Do you actually have a reason as to why it's not the same, or are you just mindlessly defending anything related to free speech and music?
Dickless.
Guns don't kill people.

Rappers do.

That song is class
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Quote by akaDan
Number 3:
You have the right to free speech, as long as youre not dumb enough to actually try it.
Know Your Rights.

The Clash FTMFW.
It seems to me they're being charged with planning to kill cops, not just singing about killing cops. All they have to do in court is say they weren't planning to actually carry it out and they're off the hook.
Death to Ovation haters!
they directly insulted and threatened law officials. they deserved it.

if only they had kept the names anonymous, they probably wouldve been ok.

but if you start spreading vids that say "im gonna kill X" or "Y is gonna be raped" then youre directly threatening these people.
If you say WHO you are going to kill, and describe it, that goes beyond freedom of speech. That's called a threat. It would have been OK, if they didn't say the names.
Freedom of Speech isn't worth it in these situations. Necessary precautions must be taken to preserve order and save lives. Whether or not they were actually planning on carrying it out, they should be apprehended for something like this.
if you dont like it, stop reading it, stop listening, stop watching it. you should be able to televise whatever you want regardless of how violent or offensive.
"Benjamin Stevens opens the video by rapping about how it wouldn't be long before he had officer Joshua Smith crying in an alley before shooting him with an "AK," according to the statement filed by Smith.

Stevens then went on to insult the town's police chief and an overweight police lieutenant before rapping that it was okay if he was "labeled a cop killer because he would destroy the town like a ****** Godzilla." Both young men are white.

The video ends with Kenneth Black rapping about plans to rape a female police officer and turn her into a prostitute and to kill the police in the neighboring town of Country Club, Missouri."

What an insanely stupid thing of them to do. They threated law enforcement officials, made a video, and stuck it on line. No **** they're going to get arrested.
Who dat?
Quote by whalepudding

So if you sing a threat it's not really a threat?

In that case I'm going to go out and rape some vulnerable women to the tune of Singing In The Rain.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by whalepudding

...A song that explains how its authors are going to kill people.

Use your brain.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Page 1 of 2