I recently read in a book about the way of human thinking. One interesting I read is this,

Lets say for example, a train with 5 people is rushing down a track which leads to a cliff, they couldn't stop it since there brakes are broken. Now will you divert the tracks so they can be saved?

Of course you would.

Now lets say that there is a hiker who is walking along the tracks, and will be crushed should you divert the tracks and save the 5 people. Would you do it now?

I suspect most (nearly all) will still say yes.

Now let's go back, the same train with only one track, it so happens that a fat guy is sitting beside the track, the only way to stop the train was to push the fat guy onto the track, but killing the fat guy. Now will you do it?

Now comes the paradox, most people will not do it. Yet when we look at it, the effects are the same, mainly sacrificing one to save 5. Yet we will not do it. Why so?

Think about it.

Any answers?
Fat guys are hard to push, too much effort.

JK

Because when just killing the hiker, you have to pull a lever, he doesnt neccicarily have to see you.
Pushing people on to tracks is just sucks anyways.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
it's the fact that your actually physically pushing the person on the tracks which i would imagine is worse then just pulling a lever and someone dies, but i personally would push them on the tracks but thats just me, i think ahead. it's interesting what humanity thinks like, mostly it's pretty fracked but still interesting

EDIT:
Quote by iceman_8319

how did i know someone would say that?

EDIT the second: i don't mean that to install your intelligence or anything
[url="http://www.myspace.com/luxterna91]...And Now The Descent
Quote by clincher09
"I like maceroni and cheese" "Yeah well it's not as good as Tool. Did I ever tell you guys about Tool? Lateralus is the best thing ever."
Last edited by invisiblekid123 at Sep 20, 2007,
It's alot harder to stare into someone's fat face and shove them off than it is to sacrifice an unknown person you have no attachment to.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
but we will do it if you substitute the fat bloke for a child then i think you could say most wouldnt do it end of the day its life adult or child and sparing five for one fat bloke or child is a fair trade.
well with the hiker, its kinda impartial, no one held him down, he shouldve got out of the way his fault. whereas with the fat guy. a certain individual would have to push the guy onto the tracks, and that guy would logically filled with guilt
both situations suck
You are now blinking manually
Quote by kainique
but we will do it if you substitute the fat bloke for a child then i think you could say most wouldnt do it end of the day its life adult or child and sparing five for one fat bloke or child is a fair trade.

well what is you had to kill a child to save 5 fat rich assholes? what would you do?
Quote by clincher09
"I like maceroni and cheese" "Yeah well it's not as good as Tool. Did I ever tell you guys about Tool? Lateralus is the best thing ever."
That scenario is illogical. I refuse to provide my hypothetical answer.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Because the switching of a lever is much less personal. You dont see the fear in their eyes, nor would they really see you.. But personaly id push the guy onto the tracks to save 5 lives, well depending if I knew him, or the people on the train of course, but assuming all were strangers, id save the 5 lives over 1.
Quote by iceman_8319

pwnd.

That was just what I was going to say.
indirectly killing him would be better than directly killing him (pushing)

but who has the right to decide who lives or dies?? maybe the 5 on the train were all murderers...
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
i was assuming you know nothing of these peoples background. but when you start bringing in social habits or personal profiles then thats a diffedrent question because your bringing in personal feelings towards people rather than immediate reaction. if you didnt like the people then it would cause you to hesitate. if those five people were my family and the child was unknown to me then yeah the kid would go infront of the train.
Wait...how the fuck is a fat guy gonna stop a train?

Just how f*cking fat is he?!?!
Quote by kainique
i was assuming you know nothing of these peoples background. but when you start bringing in social habits or personal profiles then thats a diffedrent question because your bringing in personal feelings towards people rather than immediate reaction. if you didnt like the people then it would cause you to hesitate. if those five people were my family and the child was unknown to me then yeah the kid would go infront of the train.

interesting theory... it's amazing what feelings can do to us, but we are all human right?
Quote by clincher09
I fail to see the difficultly here. 1 person dies either way to save 5, that simple to me.

Maybe this fat. Maybe fatter.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466

Maybe this fat. Maybe fatter.
As fat as he is, it's not gonna stop a train. If anything, he'll cause the train to swerve off track and kill all six people.
Quote by yawn
As fat as he is, it's not gonna stop a train. If anything, he'll cause the train to swerve off track and kill all six people.

That's a more likely possibility. Fine, I'll offer my hypothetical answer. If I were there, I would simply ignore it all and walk away. The fat man lives and the five people die.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Yeah, I'd go with apathy. I've made a living out of it; I don't see why I'd change my ways.