Hey I recently tightened the springs in the back of my strat heaps so they are screwed furter in the direction away from the springs but when I went to use my whammy bar, it really didnt have much impact on the sound at all. Is this normal? If so, is it fixable?
Depending on how much you tightened the springs and what style of strat tremolo you have, yoou probably won't be able to pul up on the trem at all anymore, and it'll require more force to depress the tremolo.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

you've kinda answered your own question.... loosen the springs.. having em rely tight means you cant use the bridge as the tension is too high
Yer when I loosen the springs though, the bridge always lifts up an angle. It's just a standard strat tremolo system.
^ I thought it doesnt matter if its at a slight angle? If your intonation and tuning isnt effected then a floating bridge IMO is preffered (I assume thats what you mean by angle? or do you mean different?) because you can go down as usual, but also slightly up.
Hey yer the bridge is lifting up at about a 40 degree angle, it looks pretty sharp :S

It doesnt seem to stay in tune too well either this way.
You'd better bring it lower than 40 degrees, because this way the strings are higher above the fretboard if you noticed...

Better get so high so that a coin can just pass under the bridge. I also have a Strat, I removed the tremolo, because it goes out of tune.

It is better to use a tremolo on a Strat only for unbending notes, not to bend them.

We don't own Ibanez's buddy!
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

=>40 Watt RMS Yorkville Traynor YCV-40 valve amplifier

=>30 Watt Tech 21 NYC - Trademark 30 solid amplifier

=>Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby pedal
Quote by TwoString
What do you use the trem for?

This is definately the right question; if you want to get Dimebag style dumps and squeals out of it then it just isn't going to happen, you need an FR or similar for that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'd probably prefer if the tremolo didn't float. Its just that if I try lowering the bridge, the whammy bar is really hard to use and hardly makes any change. The bridge used to flat but I went from 09s to10s and it can't seem to take this extra pressure.

Yer I'm not after any crazy sounds etc, just want a bit of note bending with it.
I don't know a whole lot about vintage style trems, so if I were you I'd get the thing set up by a tech.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Haha yer thanks for your help, I was planning on doing that just before Christmas anyway so I might as well get it done now.
Quote by Marsbe
I'd probably prefer if the tremolo didn't float. Its just that if I try lowering the bridge, the whammy bar is really hard to use and hardly makes any change. The bridge used to flat but I went from 09s to10s and it can't seem to take this extra pressure.

Yer I'm not after any crazy sounds etc, just want a bit of note bending with it.

Then check out the Super-Vee
http://www.super-vee.com/
It is kinda of a bridge you can install without making new holes, wich locks the strings
I am also thinking of getting it.
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

Quote by Marsbe
That does look quite cool.

Yes I know!
It says it fits every Strat, no matter how many holes you have on the bridge. You can install it yourself. I'll get it for sure. Just don't forget to check out wich verision fits with your Strat cause there are two versions

It sounds a little odd to me that the unit is either so tight that you pretty much can't use it OR at a 40 degree angle. There MUST be something in between...