Purely out of interest, how much would it cost if I wanted to take the frets out of my MIA strat and replace them with bigger ones (ie. Dunlop 6105's)?
By the time you buy all the tools and the stuffing around and probably putting a few scratches in your fretboard, it will just be cheaper to get a re fret done professionally.
In the UK the cost starts at £100 upwards ($200us)....

I know that it costs more for some type of fretboard (binded/maple etc).
Quote by Marsbe
Apparently in Australia, it costs $500 :S

your kinding...........wooha thats fricken heeps
Quote by Marsbe
Apparently in Australia, it costs $500 :S

Where the did you get that quote?
My local shop charges around $150-$200, which is usually the price I see all over.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

I got it from a guy who fixed my wiring in the switch, he makes his own guitars on the spot and sells them. I think he takes a lot of care and polishes and restains the fretboard etc

It does seem very exy though
Judging by those prices, it would almost be cheaper to just buy a neck that has large frets pre-installed!
Quote by Malllen
Judging by those prices, it WOULD be cheaper to just buy a neck that has large frets pre-installed!

Fixed
Quote by Cofflecakes
Fixed

Not if you have a set-in neck on a very expensive guitar.

But on an MIA - no, don't bother, new guitar is the only option worth considering.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I need this work done on a few of my guitars. My only problem is finding a tech who I trust to do the work. £100+ per guitar is not that bad really.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by Phill-Rock
Not if you have a set-in neck on a very expensive guitar.

But on an MIA - no, don't bother, new guitar is the only option worth considering.

That's a daft thing to say. If he really wants bigger frets then the only option worth considering is...DUN DUN DUN...a new neck. Besides, it's not that expensive to get a refret.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
That's a daft thing to say. If he really wants bigger frets then the only option worth considering is...DUN DUN DUN...a new neck. Besides, it's not that expensive to get a refret.

How is it daft? If you have a set-in neck you cant get new one. Although, I wasnt thinking that an MIA has a bolt on.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
could always do it yourself.. if yer brave

in a lot of ways.. its cheaper to just buy a 2nd guitar that has the larger frets (and any other options you're curious about). when you consider how much time it'll take and tools you'll need to special order.

most guitar techs at a music shop will charge fairly high for the service.. mainly because they want to make sure you REALLY wanna do it.. as well as it is delicate and time consuming work.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Phill-Rock
How is it daft? If you have a set-in neck you cant get new one. Although, I wasnt thinking that an MIA has a bolt on.

Aye mate, all Fender's have bolt on necks unless there's some model I'm ignoring. I took your comment a bit the wrong way, thought you were saying that the MIA wasn't worth keeping because of the frets (assumed you knew it was bolt on) haha.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I take my frets out with a screwdriver and a hammer. I put them back in with elmers glue.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Frets should not have to be glued in, they have little tabs built into the fret wire to help hold them in place. If you use the right size fret wire, only a bit of filler on the ends should be necessary. Proper removal is with heat and flat nose fret pliers, some luthiers use ground down flat nose nippers.

If you're doing it with a hammer and screwdriver you're probably doing more damage than anything else.

Proper Fret job
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...