What kind of differences will occur when you change to a higher or lower string gauge on a guitar?

Also, is there a recomended string guage for certain neck scale lengths?
to my belief...
the lower string guages make the tone heavier....
i believe the lower string guages would be best for lower tuning....and the higher ones are best for higher tuning such as standard, Drop D, D standard.
Quote by joehhy
i will use my lvl 90 Golduck against the evil 4chans, they will not stand a chance

Quote by Led Pepplin
My penis is quite literally trembling in fear.

FLOCKDRAW!!!!!!! EPICS!!!!!
Phail...
so heres the deal the higher the number gauge string, the thicker the string.
so if you play with 9s they will be very light, easy to move, bend etc.
if you play with 12's the strings will be harder to bend, move etc.
also you generally want to use heavier strings (higher gauge) the more you detune.
and as for tone, you wont notice much difference unless you make a big jump in string gauge, going from 9 to 10 wont make much difference, but going from 9 to 12 will.
also when you use heavier gauge strings, you have to change the tension on the truss rod, so as not to snap your neck, and you have to have the nut cut, so you can fit the strings in the nut properlike.
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
^^ True in theory.

But then I've got a Japanese strat copy (Yamaha) that'll take about anything I thow at it.

Right now it's got 12's tuned down to D - no cut nut or anything. Just popped 'em on there and went at it.

I guess technically I could tune all the way to B with it, but I wanted it tighter for two reasons, first for a better blues tone (and with blues there is not as much need for dexterity or speed, but TONE is king) and also just to get stronger. I work on speed on other instruments, but the strat copy gives me a muscle workout - so maybe I could hold a difficult chord longer now or something.

When I go back to .9's it sure is a lot easier!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

The fatter the string, i.e., the bigger the gauge number of the string, the more it will vibrate. Or more precisely, it will vibrate in a larger pattern, than the thinner gauge strings. It's easy to overdo it when changing string gauges to thicker ones causing buzzing all over the neck because of this. Tony Iommi went the opposite way for some of his ultra low C# tunings. His gagues are all very light, so that when tuned down so low, 1) the strings wouldn't buzz 2) he could bend notes very easily, and 3) he wouldn't have to modify the guitar to accomidate different gauges. Remember, he's missing the tips of his middle and ring fingers on his right(fretting) hand, so needed some help along the way with fretting/bending. Sure seemed to work out for Sabbath.
the fatter the string the more "chunk" it will have producing a deeper tone. and vice versa.
Thanks for all the responses you guys.

But about the neck scale...should you put thicker or thinner strings on a guitar with a shorter neck? Or does it really make a difference?
it doesnt matter dude
Quote by joehhy
i will use my lvl 90 Golduck against the evil 4chans, they will not stand a chance

Quote by Led Pepplin

it doesnt matter dude
Quote by joehhy

Quote by Led Pepplin