Hey gear freaks!

So i went amp shopping today. This is what i tested and what i thought:

Peavey XXX - Slightly too high gain and trebly for my liking. Had awful cleans but i really dont need them as i have a fender twin for clean tones. Although i did love this amps power, you could really feel it.

Randall... something - Great ampbut i found the voicing a little too dark. It was one of those amps where everything was good, but nohing was outstanding.

Marshall 1987x plexi - Absotively awesome sounding amp but not for what i wanted. The distortion is very similar to what I get from my fender with pedals, but it has better tone. Thing is though im looking for something higher gain than that.

Marshall Vintage Modern - Im rather confused about this amp. I spent a good 45 minutes with it. It really does have awesome tone but you really have to dial it in, and it takes time. I really loved the tone on this amp when dialed in properly but im not sure weather its worth it since its not that versatile. Although versatility is not what i want...

Marshall JVM - WOW. This amp is epic. Favourite amp i tried. I love the Crunch channel and the ODs are amazing. Although it does have more distortion than ill ever need. THe clean channel is very mediocre but thats ok since i have the Twin. I spent about an hour playing with this amp and i loved it. There are of course two draw backs.. One is the price. The other is the amount of knobs. It gets confusing to me sometimes although i guess this isnt too bad.

Orange rockerverb 50 - To be completely honest i didnt love this as much as i expected. Maybe its cause of how much this amp is talked up. seemed a bit too bassy and didnt have the punchy mids i love.

Orange AD30 - Now this was probably my second favourite amp of the day. It had beautiful tone and i loved the twin overdrive channels. This is exactly what i wanted. The setback with this amp was it didnt have enough distortion even to do Metallica and Tool. This is as heavy as i'd ever play but i'd need an OD to boost it to that level and im not sure weather i want to do that. I only got to spend about half an hour on this amp as the store was closing so it couldve probably been tweaked better.

I also tried the TSL 60 as they were on special. I didnt particularly love them though.

So now onto my questions.

Im going to have a two amp set-up. Fender Twin for cleans and whatever amp i buy for dirty. I am in the process of making a 4-12 with celestions so ill probably buy a head although if i find a nice combo ill buy it. The 4-12s only cos ive finished woodwork at school and i made the cab, just need the speakers.

So its basically between the Marshall JVM, Marshall Vintage Modern and the Orange AD30. The JVM is about $800 more expensive than the other two. The vintage modern was good as i said very hard to set up properly and the Orange is great just not as gainy. The JVM has the best of both worlds, Gainy enough and fairly easy to get a good sound from. So what would you do UG? Is the JVM worth the extra money? Will i get used to the Vintage modern? OR shall i get the AD30 and an overdrive to boost it to metal?

Here is a list of my current Guitars and pedals.

Maton mastersound with Dimarzio pickups
Home made super strat
Fender Deluxe Telecaster
Gibson SG

Ibanez TS9
EHX chorus
ps-5 pitch shifter
VArious others i dont use.

EDIT: HOw very silly of me i forgot to list my styles. I play Hard Modern rock ie FOo fighters, pretentious rock as i like to call it ie Radiohead, Muse, some forms of metal mainly metallica pre Load and Tool and a fair bit of classic rock in my cover band ie led zepp, AC/DC
Last edited by nirvallica at Sep 20, 2007,
The Vintage Modern is awesome. I've played it, and if you can buy it, go for it. It comes with a footswitch I think for the gain and more gain switch. Mix that with an A/B box and you're set for any gig, my friend.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Haha. The Vintage Modern isn't versatile? Well, maybe not for modern stuff. But it does 60's to early 90's tone quiet nicely IMO. Loving the amp, and I will never buy another amp again. PERIOD. VM is a personal taste, its a hit or miss. I like it because of simplicity. If I would have gone with the JVM, I would have shot myself with all the knobs.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Yeah i do love the simplicity of the VM. Maybe i dont think its versatile enough cos everytime id move a knob the tone would go to buggery so id move it back. Should've spent more time tweaking... Shall test again.
Money is an issue but not too bigger an issue. Im happy to fork it out if somethings worth it
JVM gets my vote, but th vintage modern was nice, I think If I had the money to spend on something like this, i'd probably be just as hung as you guys. But IMO the JVM is worth the money if you can get the sound you want from it. Knobs and all that are secondary to its purpose as an amp, to get you a good sound.
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
I really didn't like the Vintage Modern I tried. You had to mess with the 'Preamp Volumes' on it, body is muddy, the detail harsh. IMO quite a mediocre piece of kit, like everything Marshall puts out these days. I'd go with a nice Orange AD30, being that it has a nice channel setup and you can stack it on top of your twin as two 2x12 combos - I'd rather have those than a 2x12 and a head + 4x12...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
They didn't have any Orange Rockers?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^Yeah.

The VM isn't as good as it could be.

The 1987x is not a good choice for you.

Asm with the AD30.

If you can get a JVM it's worth a try. But since you don't need cleans a Peavey 5150 is defiently worth a look. It has quite some gain, but can also get a great crunch and is not at all as trebly as the XXX. It's a great high gain amp and has a nice crunch.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Yngwi3
They didn't have any Orange Rockers?

There was the '50.

'didn't have the punchy mids I love'

Now, I love my mids and stuff, but I would have thought the Orange was more than capable of what you needed - how much middle do you really need!

And yes, I know, you're going to say 'more than it had'. But please - keep sane
When you tried these amps out were you really cranking them and pushing the output tubes into overdrive? It can make quite a difference in tone.
Quote by Don_Humpador
There was the '50.

'didn't have the punchy mids I love'

Now, I love my mids and stuff, but I would have thought the Orange was more than capable of what you needed - how much middle do you really need!

And yes, I know, you're going to say 'more than it had'. But please - keep sane

Well I can see what you mean. Orange are very mid heavy amps. This is not for everyone. Some like myself love that, but if you don't, that's cool.

Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
well this might be bais because I own one but,

The best overall amp avaible today is the JVM my friend.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by Ubershall404

The best overall amp avaible today is the JVM my friend.

*Cough* Mark IV *cough*
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
from what i tried (the JVM and VM) i liked the JVM a bit better. if you can afford it, get it. oh im assuming your getting a half stack?
Yes, i did crank the amps but not so much the Orange cause the shop didnt have an amp room. Maybe this is why i didnt like it as much? S'ok im not the kinda guy to freak out when someone disagrees with me or when im wrong.
Oh and Gabel from what i've read on here you are a bit of an orange freak. Can the orange do Metallica and Tool with a pedal? Cos i really did love the AD30s hard rock tone...