I jus got a Squier Strat and it doesnt sound good quality wise, the pick ups are set wierd what height would you say to set them for good sounding quality?

Thanks for you help

JFKING
My Gear
-----------------------
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Gould G-15 Practice amp(Loud though)
Behringer FX100
Wetern Acoustic
Spanish Acoustic
The bridge pickup should generally be closer to the strings than the neck one, as there is less string vibration at the bridge for the pickup to pick up. Put the neck pup at about 1/8" from the strings, and the bridge one at 1/16", and the mid one somewhere between the two.

But use your ears; these are only guidelines.
I don't keep mine quite THAT close for the simple reason that pickups generate a magnetic field. If they're too close to the strings that magnetic field will actually kill the string's ability to vibrate properly and kill your sound. If it's volume or gain you want, adjust that in the amp.

In all reality, Squier is not known for good electronics ie, the pickups. Replacing them is no biggie. But some will say by the time you invest in replacing the pickups with good ones, you coulda got a better guitar. Lower price guitar = lower quality pups. It's not gonna sound like a $1,000 Strat...sorry. But one works with what one can afford.....
Yeah, sorry. Those were the Seymour Duncan guidelines. I actually have my pickups between 2.5 and 3.5mm from the strings.
thanks guys i messed around n got a nice sound i jus cant dish out measure ments lol cos i dont know em n dont have a measure anywhere either lol, thanks for your help mates
My Gear
-----------------------
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Gould G-15 Practice amp(Loud though)
Behringer FX100
Wetern Acoustic
Spanish Acoustic