And im a tube believer now! I have to admit, the roland microcube ive been using is decent, but it really doesnt stand a chance against the GA5(valve junior copy). With the microcube the medium gain overdrive seemed flat and emotionless. Chords didnt really ring out and single notes were... average. With my new 5W valve amp i can get really nice cruncy overdrive (with it cranked, of course, hehe) and even big chords sound great. The smaller ones like power chords and inverted power chords sound just like they should, with a great classic rock feeling! On the micro cube big chords sounded like a pile of distorted mush, you couldnt really tell what the heck it was. But now, its overdriven but still perfectly understandable and great. Immediately reminded me of some hendrix records!

Anyone who havent tried a valve amp do it now guys! its definitely worth it, even if just a small bedroom practice tube amp.
Good call on the Harley Benton. Probably the best cost:tone ratio out there for all us Europeans. I'm thinkin about getting one for when I go to uni ^__^
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Yes ofcourse you have to crank it up to get the maximum quality out of it. I'm sure it will be pretty for a 5W ha?
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

=>40 Watt RMS Yorkville Traynor YCV-40 valve amplifier

=>30 Watt Tech 21 NYC - Trademark 30 solid amplifier

=>Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby pedal
You have graduated to professional quality sound. Some might say budget tube amps aren't pro, but a lot of pros (especially blues and classic rock players) mic small tube amps. The definition and responsiveness of tubes cannot be replicated by solid state. Your ear has matured, so now you understand why so many players say "tube, tube, tube" in almost every "what amp" thread. We are not trying to be jerks. I don't always recommend tubes for every player as they all have different needs, but for good basic sound you can't beat a tube combo to build on. Enjoy yourself, man. You have opened up a new world of possibilities.
I've been looking at the GA5 too.....Defo gonna get one as soon as I get some spare cash..

Have seen a heavily modified one for £200, but not sure if it's worth the extra dosh as the standard GA'a are very well priced....
how loud is it? just out of interest
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^ It's the same amp as mine and my neighbours and family get incredibly annoyed when I crank it unless I put it in an isolation box. Great tone, shame about the speaker on it though
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I read somewhere that a tube amp can be 2,5 times louder than a solid amp of the same wattage. So can I say that my 40W RMS tube amp can reach the loudness of a 100 W solid amp?
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

=>40 Watt RMS Yorkville Traynor YCV-40 valve amplifier

=>30 Watt Tech 21 NYC - Trademark 30 solid amplifier

=>Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby pedal
^ you cant say that for sure.
you have to account for speaker sensitivity. speaker type. tube type. the circuit design of your amp. and the circuit design of the solid state amp in question as there are variations among SS and hybrid amps as well.
Quote by SdKfz
I read somewhere that a tube amp can be 2,5 times louder than a solid amp of the same wattage. So can I say that my 40W RMS tube amp can reach the loudness of a 100 W solid amp?
Yes, because valve amps produce order harmonics, both odd and even - so a tube amp will produce, as well as the original tone, 1st, second, 3rd, 4th and so on order harmonics, the odd numbers are called odd order and the even even order. This is what makes a valve amp sound so rich, warm and toneful. It's worth remembering that it isn't actually louder - it just sounds louder to the human ear because there's effectively more tone. Additionally the valves clip beautifully and produce even more harmonics when pushed. SS amps don't create these harmonics and so are better for sound reproduction than creation, as they don't colour it.

Additionally, SS amps have a nasty clipping tone. Valves clip beautifully. So as well as being as loud to the human ear, you want to turn a valve amp up. You want to keep an SS amp turned down as when they clip your tone just goes to mush.

But yes, you also need to take into account valve types, speakers and other things as mentioned above.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by uldhppi
You have graduated to professional quality sound. Some might say budget tube amps aren't pro, but a lot of pros (especially blues and classic rock players) mic small tube amps. The definition and responsiveness of tubes cannot be replicated by solid state. Your ear has matured, so now you understand why so many players say "tube, tube, tube" in almost every "what amp" thread. We are not trying to be jerks. I don't always recommend tubes for every player as they all have different needs, but for good basic sound you can't beat a tube combo to build on. Enjoy yourself, man. You have opened up a new world of possibilities.

seconded.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
lots of people seem to be thinking about getting the GA5, and i have to say for anything up to classic rock, if you have an OD, its awesome. I've just got my recording stuff set up. would anybody be interested in some sound clips of it? some hendrix and some jazzy stuff showing off its forte's?
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

^Bring them on. I'm an old classic rocker looking for a 5 watt tube.
sure, ill try n get them done within a week. by the end of next week at the latest.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

I purchased my first tube amp three days ago, and the sound is so incredibly good compared to a SS amp. I've played tube amps before of course, but this is the first time I've had the ability to sit down and try out all the tonal possibilities. Three days of exploring, and I've hardly gotten past the cleans yet!

I doubt I'll ever need the 100 watts, but the amp can run on 50, 25 and 12.5 as well. I use the 12.5 W setting, but it's still so loud that I can't turn it up all the way without disturbing my neighbours. Tubes rock, and they look pretty sweet too.