does anyone else have a problem with family members constantly telling them to turn their instruments down when they're not even past 3 or 4 on a little 15 watt amp? if so are there any ways of solving this problem?
kill your family </thread>

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
kill your family </thread>

i dont think they even let you play bass in prison so that'd be worse
headphones dude.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
I never had that problem.. but I did have that problem after I got my GK 4x10 and 1x5 cabs tho.. apparently 300 watts and pictures on walls don't get along to well. who knew?
What the hell were you thinking?

i duno lol. tihs r liek wen i traid drawn maiself n teh t0ilit.

ROFL.

EPICPHAIL.

gess i cant dai.
Quote by redhawk1029
I never had that problem.. but I did have that problem after I got my GK 4x10 and 1x5 cabs tho.. apparently 300 watts and pictures on walls don't get along to well. who knew?

lol, just deciding whether to sig that, btw, how do you sig stuff?
tell your parents to ****in accept that youre expanding youre musical growth by playin' and if they dont listen to you, lock your door and play anyway...
You don't have it that bad. My guitar player still lives at home and he says the sound of fingers against strings drives her nuts. That's right; she won't even let him play unplugged.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I'm playing an unplugged bass.. 10 meters from them.. and they still say it bothers them, so yes, I have problems.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I don't play very loud, so I don't have much trouble.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
My parents are cool as long as I use headphones. I'm not allowed to slap though
My parents dont seem to mind so long as its not when they're in bed which is very reasonable i should think.

They've actually been really supportive of my bass playing - paying for lessons, helping me out when cash is tight and i need new strings, giving me and my gear lifts to the drummers house, coming to my gigs etc.

I feel like a lucky one here.

EDIT - I think the focus on this thread should be what your parents do to help and encourage your bass playing, not how they hinder it. I'm sure there will be many more reasons as to how they help you.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
^ Oh, they are very supportive of me.
they just hate it when I practice =\, say that after awhile it gives them a headache, and that they're tierd of listening to it.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
i have to pay for all string and accesories and shizzlebut they do pay for my lessons and put money towards instruments for birthdays and christmas'
Wow, I am in a quandary here, because I do in fact sit on both sides of the fence. As one of two parental units (both musicians), we do tolerate a reasonable amount of noise from guitars stereos etc as long as no one is trying to talk on the phone and the neighbors don't complain and everyone remains cognizant of noise ordinances etc. If someone is studying or trying to take a nap in the house, we expected everyone in the house to respect their space and not play then, or use head phones or practice drum heads. But yes, it gets loud in the house at times; a bass and drum set going full tilt boogie, with a guitarist practicing in another room and the fourth member of the household cranking a stereo can create a rather raucous environment.

Both of my kids are involved in creative arts, one dance, the other music. We pay for lessons, strings, instruments, clothes, shoes etc--all the need to haves to be successful. Yes, its expensive, but in the long run its worth it and its important to be supportive of your family's interests and foster everyone's creative abilities wherever they lie.
Yeah, luckily my parents and my drummers parents are quite supportive. I use my parents' house to rehearse (because it's common ground that's close to where the 3 of us live), and we used to jam in my drummers house before he moved. I'm very thankful for them.

My guitar player, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be getting much support. That that results in are dozens of songs written by me, and few if any written by him. If I ask him for a guitar part, it takes forever. Sure, half the stuff we play come from jams, but it's very frustrating when my guitarist won't/can't play parts to write a song, especially when I write difficult parts. However, since they've witness the band's recent success (and potential for even greater success come 2008), maybe they'll let up and realize there's something worth being annoyed for 10 seconds over.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
My dad's great when it comes to giving me lifts to gigs or my drummer's house for practice- I cannot fault my parents for that, and they normally don't mind if I keep my amp reasonably quiet. I have to buy my own strings and other accessories or amps but they occasionally will lend a helping hand in some of the financing I don't have bass lessons so they don't need to worry on that front.
signature
Luckily i never have that problem, but for you, play during reasonable hours? that's basically all i can offer, if they still think it's too loud, well, your just plain ****ed
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
Quote by BassistGal
I'm playing an unplugged bass.. 10 meters from them.. and they still say it bothers them, so yes, I have problems.

you should probably move further away than 10 meters. Pull up a chair out on the patio and jam there if you're unplugged.
Guy Stabs

-like a snail along a straight razor, dividing itself through motion
M E S H U G G A H
If you play upstairs I hear that cutting tennis balls in half and putting them under the amp will dampen the sound that gets through to the floor and thus downstairs. but i've never tried it. They're supposed to have the cut part on the amp and the normal part on the floor so if you look at it from a 2D way they look like yellow U's.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
my parents tell me to turn it up

not because they are cool (god no)
it's because they never hear me play and are "interested" apparently
and because my dad knows he's destroyed my self-esteem over the years and is trying to fix it... he fails
Quote by bassboy 999
Cheers to you triple x maniac

Quote by snipelfritz
Wait, your dick is in a chick's ass, and you're complaining.

Its a sad, sad day.
Are your parents always always always home? That's a bit hard to believe. But then again, my guitar players' is.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by bass dude nick
i dont like using headphones the tone goes crap with the fender ones i have

doesn't mean you can't practice. quit whining and accept the fact that you do not pay a mortgage. plug in your headphones and play
Guy Stabs

-like a snail along a straight razor, dividing itself through motion
M E S H U G G A H
my parents arent very supportive, ill be playing 10 ft away from my dad so quietly i cant hear it myself, but somehow he cant hear the tv because im so loud... nor has he been to any of my gigs

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Right now I only have an acoustic so I'm fine at the moment.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
Quote by Narcotics
my parents arent very supportive, ill be playing 10 ft away from my dad so quietly i cant hear it myself, but somehow he cant hear the tv because im so loud... nor has he been to any of my gigs

I think that non-musicians can't fathom of hearing more than 1 thing at once. If they can hear anything in the periphery at all, they think it interferes. Just like once we were jamming at my buddy's house - 2 guitars and 1 bass. 15W amps apiece. My buddy kept complaining and politlely asking me to turn my bass down, and eventually off, because he loves guitars and he just wants to hear the guitars.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Mine are supportive sometimes, not so others. My mom once complained that I would wake the neighbors by playing slap unplugged

Through about a foot of concrete and a good 20 feet of fresh air...
Hah, same side of the fence, etc.

My mom is VERY VERY supportive! She has bought me strings and my 5 string bass! She goes to every show that she can, and if she can will haul my stuff around for me to practices and stuff!

However, I live above an old aunry pill popper with a 300W Acoustic head with a 115 and a 210 with a tweeter. It is all I can do to keep him from calling in the SWAT team to come kill me...

My mom is EXTREMELY paranoid about him because he can get us evicted! WE have had fights about it because the bass amp LOOKS loud without really being loud. (I can get it to practice volume easy)

Though, with my grandma here, she does not like ANY sound period when she is waching TV. I can only play keyboard when she is here, because the soudn is only directed to me and no one else...
Luckily, my parents dont really mind me playing. Even if it is slightly loud. Then again, they are usually too stoned to notice much of anything... Hell, my amp is a 180W and my guitarist brought up his 150W and they didnt really care at all... at 10-11 at night. Granted both wernt very loud (probably about at 2-3 on both of ours).

They do prefer that I practice my sax (my dad used to play), but I dont because Im not in school anymore. Im such a rebel (sarcasm).

EDIT: I forgot to give you a remedy... Try ways of sound proofing. If there is a gap between the floor and the bottom of the door, put a blanket or something in it so less sound comes out of your room for instance.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Last edited by silentdob at Sep 21, 2007,
My parents usaully complain if its past 3, but they are out the house so UP TO ELEVEN!!

my amp only goes up to ten
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
My dad used to have a problem with it when I first started playing. I told him I bought an instrument to make up for him turning the TV on full blast at 6 in the f***ing morning.

Then I found the volume knob and we all got along much better.
My parents are really supportive, they've bought me all my gear apart from my amp. And also they don't mind me playing a half stack running at about 300 watts at quarter volume, as long as they aren't on the phone of something.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
When my dad's watching TV he doesn't even care that i'm blasting my ashdown mag C300T 4x10.. i'm surprised he still hears the tv.. it makes sense though. you can hear higher frequencies over low end bass... Anyways.. my mom gets pissed sometimes when i'm blasting it lol..
My parents dont care as long as its not too loud. I can be pounding the s#!t out of my bongos and they wont care. I also cant play through my amp or slap when their sleeping but thats reasonable.