Ok, im starting to learn theory for a number of reasons, i only play classic rock, but i want to be able to improvise to blues, metal, rock, punk maybe and after that everything else there is but those are the main ones at the moment.

can anybody suggest what modes/scales/arpeggio's/intervals i should learn first?

Or anything that might help me... thanks
Harmonic and medolic minor too - always fun.

But seriously, my bass teacher's advice is the best, learn the techniques and train your ears, and then learn the theory.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
But seriously, my bass teacher's advice is the best, learn the techniques and train your ears, and then learn the theory.

explain?

EDIT: ive been playing about 3 years its about time i learned some theory
Go to the Musicians Talk forum on UG and read the sticky.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by dean_dc
explain?

EDIT: ive been playing about 3 years its about time i learned some theory

Learn how to slap, tap, pop, drop and roll etc. correctly, then learn the theory and you'll be able to put it immediately into practice. So now that I've started lessons I'm perfecting my two handed tapping and other random techniques before moving ont o advanced theory. I taught myself bass for almost 3 years so I had a thorough grounding in basic techniques and theory.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Theory is one of those things that you cant really explain. At least for me, it was kinda like, one day I just woke up and understood theory. But Just start with your main scales (maj, min, pentatonic, blues, etc) then go to your more advanced scales (harmonic minor, melodic minor, etc) and then finally learn all 7 modes for all those scales. And do arpeggios for ALL the scales no matter where you are with them. (Arpeggio is the 1st 3rd 5th and 8th of the scale.)

You should also call out what degree of the scale your on as you go up the neck. Knowing what exactly what the 4th or 6th or what ever you need is crucial. Especially in jazz when your often given a sheet that just says like...

| I |IV| I | I |
|IV|IV| I |VI|
| ii | V| I |ii-V|
I found a handy little web based theory education project. Now I find the URL's vanished from the bookmarks *shakes fist at screen* BLOODY FIREFOX!!!!!

From memory, its called 'Theory on the Web', is run from the Southern Methodist University, and its' URL might be http://www.smu.edu/totw/ but you'll have to cut-and-paste that!

It runs from basic scales and reading, thro melodic/harmonic scales, to modes; and it deals with time signatures too. Come to think of it, you'll learn to read 5-bar stave, cos there is no tab! (It was developed for their band)

All the best to you; learn your theory well and then the fun really starts!

EDIT: Just checked the URL, and it appears to be wrong *sorry*. But I know the info's good, so it's findable with Google.

EDIT 2: Actually, scrub that! It's the University, not the College. But the URL' s good now, so feel free to click it...
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Sep 21, 2007,