Hey guys it's that time where I have to start thinking about the future . I have 15,000 saved for college right now and I'm thinking that's not going to cover it. I don't want to mess with student loans because I know too many people who have screwed themselves into bottomless debt for life. I am seriously considering joining the air force of something like that that pays for your education and just keeping the money i have saved to start my life after service. Does anyone have any information or any advice that would help me? Thanks guys.
Quote by WantToLearn
what is poon?
Move to Ireland?

We get to go to college or unisversity for free - free's us up to spend money on other stuff (hardly any of it being alcohol, you lot )
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
student loans are worth it, seriously, will help u with ur work in college as you wont have to work as much etc. You dont have to pay it till your earning over 15 k anyway. its seriously worth it unless uwant a scholarship or a bursary.
Scholarships! So many ppl don't try for those and if you put like 30 hrs into em you'd probably have college paid for.
thats pretty impressive. if i were you i'd try to apply for every scholorship you can think of, and financial aid. its ok to take out student loans too, i mean it is your future you're talking about. i'd gladly pay out the asshole to make sure that i can have a good paying steady job for the rest of my life.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Quote by Phill-Rock
Move to Ireland?

We get to go to college or unisversity for free - free's us up to spend money on other stuff (hardly any of it being alcohol, you lot )

don't you need to be born in ireland?
Damn, that's $15,000 more than me and I'm already in college. ><

Scholarships aren't as easy as some make it seem. Each scholarship can usually only be won by one to three people, and there's always a chance of there being one to three people more qualified than you, be it slightly better at academics or writing slightly better essays.
If you don't want to deal with student loans at all, you're going to need some SERIOUS help. Almost everyone takes out student loans these days.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by cobain_is_king
In Scotland its free olololol

I plan on going to a Scottish uni and appeasing the lecturers with crates of Irn Bru.

/may not be true.
Seriously, apply for Financial Aid and regardless if you get any funds or not, you usually will be offered some type of Government subsidized loan options.
Fill out a FAFSA. You will get an award letter showing how much aid you get per semester/term, and if you qualify for government subsidized loans (interest is paid by the government while you are in school).

I started college back in 1999 with $100 bucks in my pocket and $0 saved up for college. (I had no $ from my parents). I went to a Big Ten school, recieved little financial aid, and took out the rest on subsidized loans. Tuition was only around $2K per semester (state school), and the more expensive part was room and board.

I was also offered Federal Work Study and was able to work for the school (dining services, athletic dept) and make money during college. You usually get first dibs on jobs if you are work study. Anyways, I never was one of those starving ramen eating college kids because loans covered tuition, and the rest I got as a check the 1st day of semester start. I deposited the check and I had the rest of the semester to pay for rent, and use the money for food and whatever. I had enough until summers where I would work anyways.

Now its been over 4 yrs since I graduated and have been paying back my loans for about 3.5 yrs. I consolidated my several loans into 1 (back in '03 at 3.82% fixed!!!). Now I pay about 90 bucks a month in loans for the next 15+ years. Small beans compared to salary after college.
Don't you have the option for student loans? That's what I'm doing.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
Quote by cobain_is_king
Irn Bru = win.

Agreed. The Official soft drink of Scotland!
Do you plan on going to a public or a private university, because the cost can be crazy different or it can be about the same. A lot of times private universities have high tuition but have much more financial aid available.

Apply for financial aids/scholarships. And apply early(like get started, now!). I applied for schools last January(I'm a freshman now) and I got into schools, but all of the scholarship deadlines had already passed and I got the shaft of financial aid. I worked a pretty good amount this summer, but not full time by any means. I'm getting a job this semester, but I only need to make about $500.

I go to the University of Minnesota, btw, a public university, so my tuition isn't insane(I pay like 8000 a semester after fees, room, board, etc).

Seriously, don't freak out about it, but if you get started early and apply for every option you have, you'll be just fine. And you have 15000 to begin with, that's freakin awesome.

And don't join the military.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
Do you plan on going to a public or a private university, because the cost can be crazy different or it can be about the same. A lot of times private universities have high tuition but have much more financial aid available.

Apply for financial aids/scholarships. And apply early(like get started, now!). I applied for schools last January(I'm a freshman now) and I got into schools, but all of the scholarship deadlines had already passed and I got the shaft of financial aid. I worked a pretty good amount this summer, but not full time by any means. I'm getting a job this semester, but I only need to make about $500.

I go to the University of Minnesota, btw, a public university, so my tuition isn't insane(I pay like 8000 a semester after fees, room, board, etc).

Seriously, don't freak out about it, but if you get started early and apply for every option you have, you'll be just fine. And you have 15000 to begin with, that's freakin awesome.

And don't join the military.

Your advice is spot on.

Go Illini!
Go to a community college for two years before transferring to a four year university, your college costs will be cut in half and you can use the time to save up even more money. And definitely look into financial aid
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by yeahyeah
Go to a community college for two years before transferring to a four year university, your college costs will be cut in half and you can use the time to save up even more money. And definitely look into financial aid

From an economical standpoint, this can be considered.....however.

There are no guarantees into a 4-Yr college, not all credits transfer, and I would think you would be missing out on the "experience" associated with college. You will have the most fun your 1st 2 years where you will meet the majority of the friends you will have for the rest of college and on. Everyone begins Freshman year on a clean slate and you build your identity along with everyone else. Dont miss out on a crucial start to an awesome 4 years of your life.
Quote by yeahyeah

Thats what im doing lawlzzerss.
Come to Argentina then. We have free college and the Buenos Aires university has a nice reputation in the rest of the world
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Ljk825
From an economical standpoint, this can be considered.....however.

There are no guarantees into a 4-Yr college, not all credits transfer, and I would think you would be missing out on the "experience" associated with college. You will have the most fun your 1st 2 years where you will meet the majority of the friends you will have for the rest of college and on. Everyone begins Freshman year on a clean slate and you build your identity along with everyone else. Dont miss out on a crucial start to an awesome 4 years of your life.

For the most part my friends that have transferred from here to 4 year schools have done it without much of a problem, and unless you have awful grades and are trying to transfer to a top school then getting accepted isn't especially difficult. Sometimes I do wish that I would have done the university track to experience dorm life, but I couldn't justify spending thousands of dollars for the luxury of that experience. But that was my personal call and I can totally understand why people wouldn't want to go the community college route.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by metaldud536
Thats what im doing lawlzzerss.

yup that works, and many colleges have special programs where youre guarenteed admission after those 2 years if you have a certain gpa.

thats awesome you have that cash saved but the one problem is you will get NO financial aid once they know you have that cash. if that cash were in someone elses account, like another family memebrs, and therefore the govn didnt know about it and though you were broke.. well im not going any further cause i think thats illegal