So I've been playing for a few years and I use major and pentatonic scales in my soloing, but I've decided to expand and start learning arpeggios and minor scales and some other fun things...

My question is, should each note be fingered individually when i'm playing the arpeggios? For instance, with this arpeggio:

E:--------------3-7-3--------------|
B:------------3-------3------------|
G:----------4-----------4----------|
D:--------5---------------5--------|
A:----2-5-------------------5-2----|
E:--3---------------------------3--|

I will bar the 5 and 8 as well as the 5 and 8 of the upper octave. Is that a no no? It feels to me like it should be...
Gear
2002 Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT150h + JCM900
Buncha pedals
I never bar the lower notes. I'd go:

Middle
Index
Ring
Pinky
Ring
Middle
Index
Pinky
Index

And then the same thing, backwards.
You could, and that would be sweep picking.

It's widely known as one of the hardest techniques on guitar, to cleanly play arpeggios one-note-per string at high tempos.
When you're sweeping, it's ok to use the same finger for two (or three) notes on the same fret on adjacent strings. Just "roll" your finger, so that you're fretting the first while muting the second, and vice versa.
I'd reccomend learning to bar off notes, so you get that whole "Finger rolling" thing down. It really helps for speed in the long run.
"We programmed in death...A thousand needles lie here to inject their lies."
ive never thought it was a good idea to barr the notes for arps... it just sounds cleaner if you dont.
Quote by blarnbatt
ive never thought it was a good idea to barr the notes for arps... it just sounds cleaner if you dont.

The trick is to roll your finger, not just barre it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay